Bye 6R :( --> Hello R1 :))

k6gad

Rat-
Sweet new ride! If my back, neck, and wrists could take the riding position I'd be all over an R1 too! LOL just getting old I guess....have fun!
Gary:thumbup:

KADO

Awesome bike!!!!

ksanbon

Congratulations!!
That's a huge step up. When you get a chance, please share your impresssions.

Bigevildoer

Rat-
Sweet new ride! If my back, neck, and wrists could take the riding position I'd be all over an R1 too! LOL just getting old I guess....have fun!
Gary:thumbup:
Everybody gives sportbikes a bad rap for riding position hurting their wrists. All you have to do is tighten up your core a bit and squeeze your legs - voila! no more weight on your wrists.

Besides, once you get moving (55 mph +) the wind resistance really helps lift you off the handlebars too.

Rat

First thing first – I got several private messages about TBR+JB – thanks guys!
I’m going to give that to sbhoopsfan since he wrote first. Here are the impressions:
When dealer guy gave me key and said “ride safe” – I felt a lot of adrenalin and perhaps… hmmm… :shakehead: fear cause I’ve heard many bad stories about “crazy R1” :eek: Several minutes spent to check how I fit to the bike, controls , body position etc. After that started and went for 100 feets. What impressed me in that moment – clutch worked just like my FZ6R – so I could smoothly start, no any issues with that. So I started doing circles on the parking lot at 15-20 mph, switched gears, tried how brakes work etc. I would say FZ6R front brake is more sharp. Gears are shifted more easily on R1 – I think it was a little more hard on FZ6R.
After that decided to ride home… It was 30F but I felt hot :Sport:… After third light I felt more or less confident with my new baby and was doing 60 miles. The way R1 ride – very impressive. I don’t even know how to describe that… It just flies when you touch throttle!
On second day I went riding again and felt comfortable in traffic and winter weather since the road was dry. Here first challenge came – R1 is more difficult to handle in sharp slow turn (intersections), I believe that is because I need more training probably. Second challenge – when you release throttle on R1 in the way you do that for FZ6R – bike slowdowns really sharp comparing to FZ6R. So should work with throttle much more gently.
Riding position. It’s aggressive! When you just sit on the bike – you already feel like you are doing 100mph. Also you don’t feel speed on this bike. I was doing 75 mph but realized that when looked on speedo, I thought I was like 40 :confused: Also, it’s not comfy – here FZ6R is the king. I rode 30 miles and started to feel pain in legs muscles – so I decided to exercise every morning and be fit for the R1. :D:thumbup:

Last edited:

dart1963

Super Moderator
Elite Member

Sage

I rode one for shits and giggles while I was waiting on my first service at my dealer and they had the 2010 model, rode it maybe a half a mile total, barely opened the throttle and took off so fast I thought I was gunna open a time rift. I have to agree with one of the owners, the thing is a deathtrap unless you are a skilled rider, which if you feel you are ready, more power to ya. Good luck and congrats on the new bike!

Last edited:

MikeN02

Could always upgrade the brakes later Rat. I plan to upgrade to a fren turbo stage 2 or 3 SS brake lines :D

Rat

Made some video:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gtikSRorAIM]YouTube - R1 Ride[/ame]

Detrich

dang, bj... hope you get your bike situation resolved soon. :(

well, at least it's raining now in so cal, so none of us can ride... LOL

are u going to the international motorcycle show? i'm going tomorrow with friends.

NICE!!! I'm feeling so jealous right now :p Well...of anyone who has a ride-able bike right now! =(

Detrich

so sad... :(

now u just made me not want to ever trade or sell my bike... I paid $5300 for mine used too... <lol>

For sell now... Bye baby... :(

Detrich

what? you're selling yours too?

Bigevildoer

I would say FZ6R front brake is more sharp.
Wait till the brakes get heated up a bit. The FZ6R's brakes are mewling weaklings when compared to the R1's when they're up to temp. Not bashing the FZ6R's brakes, but they're definitively lower end parts.

Here first challenge came – R1 is more difficult to handle in sharp slow turn (intersections), I believe that is because I need more training probably. Second challenge – when you release throttle on R1 in the way you do that for FZ6R – bike slowdowns really sharp comparing to FZ6R. So should work with throttle much more gently.
The turning is probably due to riding position and the unfamiliarity of the R1. Give yourself a couple thousand miles seat time and then compare.

The sharper deceleration is more than likely due to the much higher compression ratio of the R1 when compared to the 6R. If it really bothers you, you can get the engine braking effect reduced with an engine tune set specifically to do that (adding more fuel to the mix as opposed to the stock ecm map). A tune and parts will probably run about $750 or so depending on where you are.

Riding position. It’s aggressive! Also, it’s not comfy – here FZ6R is the king. I rode 30 miles and started to feel pain in legs muscles – so I decided to exercise every morning and be fit for the R1. :D:thumbup:
You can also buy 1" drop pegs or a touring seat (raises you up a bit) or both if your knees bother you in the future.

Later!

Detrich

something that a friend that rides a crb 1000rr told me recently is that the gear ratios of 1L bikes do make a huge difference- depending on the type of roads...

for highly technical roads- ie lots of repetitive climbs, descents with sharp continuous twisties- he said that it's actually more difficult to enjoy on a 1L bike... simply cuz you have to do it in 2nd gear, which is too twitchy. and, you're constantly having to "manage" the power of the bike and throttle. (unless you have a s1000rr, i'd imagine.)

he said that the 600cc ss is the sweet spot for these types of roads, cuz u just put it in 3rd gear and focus on the turns and the bike does the rest. don't have to focus on 'managing' the power as much...

since my only exp is on a 600cc i dunno how true all that is. but, i do usually just leave the bike in 3rd and it works very well... for GMR tho, i usually do 2nd gear on the climb because the slope and hairpin turns are just non-stop one after the other. 3rd gear going down tho...

sigh can't wait for the damn rain to stop... :)