Break In Complete - RPM to the RED?

LocoLechero

well its been tough but i made it to 1000 miles while following yamaha's break in guidlines! just took the bike out and cranked the throttle up to 10,000 RPM in first gear and WOW she sounded AMAZING :D i still cant wipe the grin off my face :D - is it ok to be cranking the RPM's like this in all the gears? or should i be shifting and trying to keep them as low as possible? I feel like the lower the RPM's the smoother the ride feels- the more RPM's the bike feels i dunno how to describe it but like a BEAST like i might be stressing it out or beating it up somehow- loud and aggressive kinda un-refined like a cruiser :rof: hahaha anywho love the sound didnt think she had it in her :rockon:

Marthy

World Most Bad A$$ 6R
Elite Member

dart1963

Super Moderator
Elite Member

MistahT

Mistah T
Elite Member

LocoLechero

Yea T i hear ya man - this is my first bike and ive got nothing to compare my experiences against but riding these first 1000 miles conservatively i find myself very comfortable riding around 7k RPM - feels like im really pushing it when i crank her up past 8k - ill get used to it im sure!! :D

p.s. T your color scheme is SICK and your "how-to" videos REALLY helped me install my DMP FE and MOTO tail light

MistahT

Mistah T
Elite Member

Detrich

As I recall, the bars on the 6R seem to vibrate a lot over 8k... But, all Yamaha's seem to be that way. You kinda just have to get used to it I guess.

bmw675

They are built to run high rpms, no worries there. I do have one suggestion though; make sure you let it warm up beforehand. Enjoy!:thumbup:

xleeb0y13x

Well done. I've only got a bit over 1200 miles on mine but I waited until the first oil change at 600 miles then let loose. So kudos on your patience.

Think my next bike will get the hard break in treatment. Just get it over day 1. I was in the same boat though feeling like opening the motor up was to much stress on it. Ya got over that pretty quick. Have fun with her.

Sent while running with scissors.

Scott_Thomas

Insert title Here
Elite Member

Cerebus

All my vibes seem to come through the foot pegs, in the 5-7k range. I haven't noticed anything in the bars. I routinely take mine to redline now that I'm through the break in.

yillbs

I get some vibes between 5k-6k and then once I pass beyond it's pretty smooth. Was at 8k this morning on the freeway with no vibes. Actually was surprisingly smooth right at 8k.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk 4

Maybe mine is backwards. but right at 6k it's got the worst vibe of any part of the rpm range. Not sure what's up with that. but it's quite annoying. It's like butter until 5800RPMS, then until about 6200RPMS it's extremely vibrating. which really sucks, because that's the cruising 6th gear area you need to be in like 70% of the time!

Scott_Thomas

Insert title Here
Elite Member

yillbs

I almost never use 6th gear, like to keep the rpms high on the freeway for maneuvering purposes. Mine vibes around the same rpm range. I'm only on the freeway for maybe 10 miles, the rest is stop and go 2 lanes highway.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk 4
Is that a pretty normal thing with most people, not using 6th gear?

Scott_Thomas

Insert title Here
Elite Member

abyss1406

congrats and those vibes are terrible after 3 hours of riding, makes my foot go numb. and speaking of vibes [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-eSN8Cwit_s]Marky Mark And The Funky Bunch - Good Vibrations - YouTube[/ame]

latony007

congrats

Congrats on making it to 1000, I like someone else couldn't make it past first service, once first service was done I went into just normal riding mode, if I needed to gas it I did and have had no problems. Still haven't really tried to top it out or anything yet, hard to do around here with all the traffic and cops. I do use 6th all the time though on freeway, usually keeps me around 6k. I don't know about vibes in the foot pegs but my hands seem to get numb on this bike after a while of riding. Probably because im a midget im not sure.

kyffo

Frustration over

Congratulations on making it past the frustrating part of buying a new bike.....Time to let it rip.... ur bike will appreciate it. You can take it to the red line without any probs at all.

There is a limiter on it that kicks in just over 12000 rpm so that will stop you over doing it

pkoko

Curious question; when does everyone use 6th gear? All the time? only highway? I use mine whenever I am cruising at more than 40 MPH or 3k rpms; is this bad for the engine?