Break In Complete - RPM to the RED?

yillbs

Curious question; when does everyone use 6th gear? All the time? only highway? I use mine whenever I am cruising at more than 40 MPH or 3k rpms; is this bad for the engine?
As long as it's not " slugging " along.. and if it was, you would hear it.. it makes a very un normal sound. I am like you though, I use 6th gear whenever i can.. something about forcing the bike to sit at 8k rpms all day just doesn't seem right.

MistahT

Mistah T
Elite Member
Last edited:

MNGreg

waiting out winter
Elite Member

latony007

6th

I always use 6th, seems like 6th at 6k is the perfect freeway speed. First however is pretty useless, if they had shortened up second a bit you could drop first.

Reactions: JT

Muddog7998

I can't legally take my bike to red line in most places. Taking my bike to redline in first gear will put you over most speed limits.
Same here. 50-70km/h (30-45mph) everywhere in Italy. 1st gear on my R1 takes me to 102mph.

And I never use 6th. Half the time I'm sitting in 4th.

Last edited:
Reactions: JT

Detrich

6th gear on freeways or 65+ MPH steady cruising only...

Mudd> What gear & RPM do u ride canyons at on the R1 and how many miles are u getting b4 ur fuel light comes on? (I asked this on an existing thread on the R1 forum, but an admin deleted the thread for being old I think.).

I'm liking how the bike feels at 8K RPM around 60 to 65MPH, but what's annoying is that keeps me in second gear with the shift light persistently coming on. lol... To cruise in 3rd at 8K I'd have to be flying and I don't want any more speeding tix. So just wondering what other R1 riders cruise at. I'm getting about 120 miles and my fuel light comes on. Fueled up roughly 3.5 gallons.

Does that sound about like what ur getting? Tnx

Muddog7998

6th gear on freeways or 65+ MPH steady cruising only...

Mudd> What gear & RPM do u ride canyons at on the R1 and how many miles are u getting b4 ur fuel light comes on? (I asked this on an existing thread on the R1 forum, but an admin deleted the thread for being old I think.).

I'm liking how the bike feels at 8K RPM around 60 to 65MPH, but what's annoying is that keeps me in second gear with the shift light persistently coming on. lol... To cruise in 3rd at 8K I'd have to be flying and I don't want any more speeding tix. So just wondering what other R1 riders cruise at. I'm getting about 120 miles and my fuel light comes on. Fueled up roughly 3.5 gallons.

Does that sound about like what ur getting? Tnx
My bike burns gas like crazy lol Best it's gotten was 205 from a full tank. That was going 30-45mph granny style. Normally its around 156-160. Half the time the bike stays at really low RPMs because of my Boz Moira exhaust. The polizia here hate my bike since it is so loud. Once I hit the autostrada I usually stay at 5-6k in 5th gear.

To fix the shift light just get a small round velcro patch and cover the light :cool:

jibaless

I never break in as soft as what they say in the manual.. I just ride it like I normally would, while not redlining until after the first oil change. I truly can't anyway because I have a 30 minute interstate ride to work and I ride about 80 or so, so I sit well above what they say.

I did see what she had a few days ago on an empty stretch and anyone that says this bike is to slow is crazy.. Are they much faster bike, yes.. But by no means is she slow.. I had her to 136 gps, so im happy with that.

But to the original question, I don't do a conventional break in.. No lugging at 3k like it says, no redlining.. Just drive and she'll be fine

latony007

My bike burns gas like crazy lol Best it's gotten was 205 from a full tank. That was going 30-45mph granny style. Normally its around 156-160. Half the time the bike stays at really low RPMs because of my Boz Moira exhaust. The polizia here hate my bike since it is so loud. Once I hit the autostrada I usually stay at 5-6k in 5th gear.

To fix the shift light just get a small round velcro patch and cover the light :cool:
I love Italy. Went in 2001 and wish I could get back again. Of course im 100% Italian so im a little prejudiced. However I rented a car there and noticed that the moped is so popular over there and that they are totally on their own. its like if they get hit its their fault. That the same way with motorcycles I assume? or did I get the wrong impression. Im sure that's something probably restricted to the cities, I went to the big 3.

Muddog7998

I love Italy. Went in 2001 and wish I could get back again. Of course im 100% Italian so im a little prejudiced. However I rented a car there and noticed that the moped is so popular over there and that they are totally on their own. its like if they get hit its their fault. That the same way with motorcycles I assume? or did I get the wrong impression. Im sure that's something probably restricted to the cities, I went to the big 3.
Almost every time there's an accident involving a moped, motorcycle or bicycle the rider is not at fault. They're everywhere though and act as if they rule the road. It's amazing there is so many with how reckless they are...

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 4