Brakes q.

2wheelie

I think that my front brakes aren't as grabby as say the ones on R6 or zx6r which I had before. I have to squeeze more and the stopping power is not as responsive as on the sport bikes. Is that how they come, or just my bike? :confused:
BTW it always was the case since I got the bike w/500 miles on it.

JonKerr

Elite Member

dart1963

Super Moderator
Elite Member

JonKerr

Elite Member
Last edited:

husker525

Here are some tips for you as well. The stainless steel brake lines will help reduce that spongy feel about 35-40%. Use a high quality, high boiling point brake fluid such as Motul.

Galfer makes the brake parts for Tusk. If you order a Tusk wave rotor or S.S brake lines, they will have Galfer stamped on them. The difference is a huge savings in price, but the quality is still the same.

I use SS brake lines and wave rotors on all my race quads. It makes a huge difference in stopping power and feel. I replaced the brake fluid on my FZ6R with the Motul, and it reduced some of the sponginess I had before.

Marthy

World Most Bad A$$ 6R
Elite Member
Last edited:

Marthy

World Most Bad A$$ 6R
Elite Member

dart1963

Super Moderator
Elite Member

2wheelie

Thank you all for the replies. I'll start with the simple things like upgrading lines, pads and oil to Motul. This should improve it.
I just remembered that few months ago I rode the FZ6 (none R) and its brakes also had much better grip, similar to R6. Not sure now what's the difference is between the 6 and 6r :confused:

Marthy

World Most Bad A$$ 6R
Elite Member

Spunky99

Here's what I mean by groove on the surface of a rotors. This is one version from AP Racing. This is a better version than wave rotors. Maximum surface for friction and clean up the pads same way cross drilling does. I can't find the circular groove that I was talking about. It's pretty much the same configuration but It's a circular groove on the rotor surface that is offset from the center axis. It can be easly done on a lathe. :thumbup:
I use those drilled and grooved rotors on all my vehicles. Good stop no fade and consistent.
I looked at pricing on the wave rotors and I only find Galfer for $150.00 for the rear and $288.00 x2 for the front. $576.00 for a pair of front rotors? Holy crud....

I'm happy with Spiegler SS lines front and rear, Castrol hi temp fluid and scintered brake pads. I installed the EBC brake pads but I really like the Sixity ones I put on the NSR50. I'll change to the Sixity next time.
Really improved the braking on the bike. You have to be careful with the rear brake after SS lines and scintered brakes as it wants to lock up a lot easier. Your foot pressure modulation needs to improve to use the rear properly.

To go to about $750.00 in wave rotors on a FZ6R seems a bit overkill for a 600cc detuned bike. I'd think about it on a real sport bike but not the FZ6R.

Marthy

World Most Bad A$$ 6R
Elite Member

Spunky99

$hit! Way too expensive! Looking at my rotors, when it will be time to change pasds I will put new rotors. I might machine a groove on a stock one, will be good enough. Front brake lines are the next thing on my list. I found a place here down the road who will make me some custom one. Since I have the Rental and the line are a bit too short. I don't think I will mess with the rear line... it's already way too sensitive... I found out a little while ago. I bet a stiffer front spring/shock will be required to support the bike better. I don't think better braking will necessary mean better stopping if you can't load that tire to the groung... it will just dive faster.
I have the Race Tech springs front and rear so there is no dive.....just stop....

sdouble

I have some experience in fork design. Spring rate should be well adjusted to optimize the braking power. If it's too soft, you lose some time at the beginning of the braking phase : fork dive fast and you don't brake much. Once the fork is fully compressed, braking power is optimum. When the spring are too stiff, the mass transfer doesn't operate fully and you can't load to front wheel properly. The braking power is never optimum in that case.
The stock spring are correct for say 75-80 kg (165-175 lbs) drivers. If you are heavier than that by far, you should change spring.If you are a track addict, spring rate is ok for 155-165 lbs drivers.