Boots

Boot Input please, What would you get for my situation?

• Sidi Fusion Rain

Votes: 2 15.4%
  • Sidi Fusion Standard

Votes: 5 38.5%
  • AS S-MX 5 Waterproof

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • AS S-MX 5 Standard

Votes: 4 30.8%
  • AS Gore-Tex Web

Votes: 1 7.7%
  • Sidi Cobra Standard or Rain

Votes: 1 7.7%

• Total voters
D

Deleted member 9794

My Sidi ST's squeaked when I got them new too. I lubed the rotator cup on both boots and now they are ok. It's probably a common problem
What lube did you use? That's where the sound comes from on mine also, I tried WD-40 and I tried roughing up the contact points with a file - very slight improvement for a few days then back to normal.

I just bought the same boots last month. Mine don't squeek, that i am aware of, but I think they remedied that problem with the 'new smx plus boots'. Does yours have the 3 ovals over the top of the foot? Mine have the accordian leather panel.
Yep, mine have 3 ovals:

Detrich

I applied a very small amount of WD-40 from a spray can with the straw dispenser it comes with.

I first surrounded the rotator cup area with a shop towel/ rag; then gave a small squirt to the rotator cup area; then rotated it back and forth; applied a little more in the opposite position; rotated it again; and then wiped off any spillage.

Did that to both cups on each boot- ie total of 4. No more squeaky deaky after that. :)

KeysRider3

Good luck with Euro sizing! +1 for a set of gaiters that can be worn over standard (non-waterproof) boots. I have an old pair from HD, and a new pair from TourMaster. They'll keep you dry, and your boots clean.

D

Deleted member 9794

I applied a very small amount of WD-40 from a spray can with the straw dispenser it comes with.

I first surrounded the rotator cup area with a shop towel/ rag; then gave a small squirt to the rotator cup area; then rotated it back and forth; applied a little more in the opposite position; rotated it again; and then wiped off any spillage.

Did that to both cups on each boot- ie total of 4. No more squeaky deaky after that. :)
Just an FYI for anyone who comes across this w/ the same issue - I'd tried WD-40 before and it didn't last a day. I switched to Chain Wax and it works perfectly. It's been going strong for over a week so far.

DubiousDrummer

I'm sure that you all are going to give me heat for this, but I don't even wear boots. I just wear high top Chuck Taylor's. They go over the ankle and are pretty sturdy. I guess I just figure that if I do go down (God forbid), road rash on my feet will be the least of my concerns.

arse

for me they work perfectly. i still want a full on boot down the line, but not until i get a track bike :D

D

Deleted member 9794

DubiousDrummer - Please read this

I'm sure that you all are going to give me heat for this, but I don't even wear boots. I just wear high top Chuck Taylor's. They go over the ankle and are pretty sturdy. I guess I just figure that if I do go down (God forbid), road rash on my feet will be the least of my concerns.
Yeaaa....not to jinx you or anything but it's not for "road rash" on feet, it's for broken ankle avoidance. We don't let students wear Chuck's for MSF class because they are flimsy (the fastest they go is about 18 mph in an open parking lot). Your Chuck T's would have about as much support as this guy's shoes (skip to 2:06):

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=06WgbDqqXPM]kid on motorcycle breaks ankle full video no music - YouTube[/ame]

or this guy's shoes:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hQKRx5_8Jos&feature=fvwrel]The lost of my right ankle - YouTube[/ame]

or this guy's shoes - warning, this one is graphic (i.e. it's hanging off):

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1-IHiTmoUag]Graphic Broken Ankle From Motorcycle Accident - YouTube[/ame]

seriously, please consider a pair of riding boots, they are cheap and priceless.

They don't have to be race boots, something like these would be better than regular shoes (less than $100 and free shipping):

Firstgear Express Boots - RevZilla

Vega Matrix Boots - Street Bike - Motorcycle Superstore