Biker Down

buzzbomb

Elite Member

buzzbomb

Elite Member

Spunky99

Hey Spunky. You and me keep butting heads. I'm cool with that. But I want you to know that there's no animosity or anything. We definitely do things differently, and neither of us is afraid to make our opinion known.

We're probably going to keep on head-butting all over the forum. No matter how much we disagree, I don't disrespect you. On the contrary, I enjoy our little "debates." If you get RL pissed, drop me a pm and I'll lay off.

I'm also glad you're OK. I should have said so earlier. Peace, man.
Same here buzzbomb....We get to state our opinions without personal attacks on this forum and we all respect that. Butting heads is a good thing as it allows us to see reality from another point of view. (and we don't get concussions) I agree that I was wrong to follow that dude and my expectations were to alert a Cop after he ran so that he got a stern talking to by someone in authority. I guess I am too hot headed and idealistic and that I need to work on. I actually thought this guy would maybe listen or cuss me out like they do to bicyclsts in the UK but I didn't expect him to knock me over with his car. That was a surprise. Smaking the brakes to make me eat his rear end is expected but not knocking me over.
Keep up the criticism guys....I am not holy pontification or thin skinned. I need a good dose of reality by people I respect. And I respect the people here at FZ6R.
Besides....there is a comical side to this.....I'm making a couple of videos of the whole event. I think I'll post the one where you have to count the number of stops he blows with the Benny Hill music in the background.

Spunky99

Wait, there's a video?:needpics: (link to video)
Due to the legal ramifications of the events, I am not inclined to show the whole video. (Plead the 5th).
BUT

I am making a video that will show the u-turn, all the stops he blew, running the red light and the bump of the car that constituted the ADW with bike going over. That way I don't self incriminate. I made typical CA stops which are not strictly 100% legal while the car just blew through EVERY one.

Sparkxx1

The triumph will need some repair. I'm fine.

Long story short, U-turn cager almost took me out. I decided to talk to him and be a good guy and help him to look for bikers instead of being the asshole I usually am and just bust off a mirror or kick the car. He ran, running every stop and red light, I followed, stopped at stop signs and waited at all red lights. Morning traffic and splitting lanes makes this an easy game to play, no way was he going to evade me. After a good 10 minutes of zipping all over, He finally stopped and I drove up alongside his passenger door to ask him WTF? I wasn't mad, just kinda amused that he was trying to evade me which was impossible. I was stopped, he turned the steering wheel towards me and moved forward 5 feet. as my leg was being smooshed between the car and my bike, I turned my bars and let out the clutch too fast and stalled the bike which then went down on it's right side.
He backed up 150 yards down the street and ran. Witnesses came forward with lic plate and phone numbers. They ID'd the guy after he was caught 2 minutes later a couple blocks away and so did I. He went to jail for 245PC which is assault with a deadly weapon. I expect he will be charged with felony hit and run, vehicular assault and a ton of other charges at arraignment.
The car is registered to another person who wasn't driving and I doubt there will be any insurance. I have PL and PD, no comprehensive. I thought I had uninsured motorist but they said I don't.
My left leg is fine but my right leg and back got tweaked while trying to hold the bike up as it went down.
One of the fairing pins busted through the crankcase cover and spilled all the oil out so I had to be towed home. I'll do a thorough examination of the bike when I get home after going to urgent care to get some good pain killers.

In retrospect, the biggest full moon in 10 years and drinko de Mayo is tomorrow. Maybe I should have either blown it off or been an asshole and busted his mirror. Either way I can see this playing out as an illegal alien that bought a car from someone that just registered it and then never re-registered it, doesn't have a driver's license or green card, was drunk and indigent. My only hope is that the registered owner didn't turn in the waiver of responsibility and she has some $$. LA sucks due to all the illegals here. They play lots of games to get cars with registration stickers on the license plate and never re-register or get insurance, a license or anything and then run after killing someone. The Police don't bother you if your license plate sticker is current so unless they hit someone and get caught, they get away with it.
Sigh, should have let it go buddy. I know it's hard but things escalate to a level where if it didn't happen, now it will. Good luck fixing the bike and I'm glad you're okay!

Sparkxx1

Spunky, I've been doing a lot of thought about how to express my displeasure to other drivers safely, and this story is a perfect lead-in to my devious plan.

My current plan is to install a scala headset with the Transmit button wired to my horn button. I'll then replace the horn with a small but powerful megaphone. Then I can just drive behind the car that cut me off (at a safe distance, even) and chew him out at my leisure, with all other cars around as witnesses to the chastisement.

As an added bonus, when I need to actually use a horn instead of a soapbox, I can hit the button and yell "HONK HONK MUTHA F***A!"
You should do a regular horn and the transmit that would be SO kool. If you go through with it, please, please make a how to! :D

Spunky99

Sigh, should have let it go buddy. I know it's hard but things escalate to a level where if it didn't happen, now it will. Good luck fixing the bike and I'm glad you're okay!
The best thing about a used bike that has been restored from a wreck is that when you break it or scratch it, it is no big deal.....:D

Sparkxx1

The best thing about a used bike that has been restored from a wreck is that when you break it or scratch it, it is no big deal.....:D
Lol I don't care about the bike, what about you man! You can't repair a body as easily. I'm glad you got the bad guy though. I might have just chased him for a bit with video and reported it/handed it in to the police. In the end you did a good thing. Stay safe :)

Spunky99

Lol I don't care about the bike, what about you man! You can't repair a body as easily. I'm glad you got the bad guy though. I might have just chased him for a bit with video and reported it/handed it in to the police. In the end you did a good thing. Stay safe :)
Cops wouldn't do a thing with the video you described. They need a strong felony with an independent witness before they will do anything. Anything and everything you say or show to the Police will be explained away no matter how ridiculous the explanation. They play devil's advocate. They are jaded by the system so you can't fault them. The Cop told me that if the other other driver threw his driver's license out the window before he left, he couldn't be charged with hit and run. It wouldn't matter if it was a fake license....LOL
I guess it is darn near impossible to prosecute these days.:rolleyes:

BoneJj

I certainly wouldn't have shot anyone over this...just wasn't that bad. He was probably scared sh!tless when I pulled along side him.
I should have just blown it off....and put the video of the u-turn on u-tube.
I reviewed the whole video and it was just a dumb decision on my part to have followed him.
I probably wouldn't have shot either but if the person tried to continue to come at me I would have. I was in a situation years ago when I was stationed in virginia when I was active military and a guy tried to run me and several others over that were on bikes. I was in uniform and actually on my way to the base so I had my side arm on me. I actually had to pull it and get the guy to stop, He had hit the biker in front of me. Once he realized that I was military he actually froze long enough for me to get his keys. He went to jail for a very long time... I actually think he's still in jail. He got pretty near the max sentence for attempted vehicular manslaughter. It was all over a mistake of the cage cutting the biker off and the biker flicking the cage off. He was ready to run someone over for that.

Ever since then I don't like to ride without carrying. He may not have hit you that hard but it doesn't take much for him to just drive right over top of you in his rage and kill you.

MustGoFaster

I probably wouldn't have shot either but if the person tried to continue to come at me I would have. I was in a situation years ago when I was stationed in virginia when I was active military and a guy tried to run me and several others over that were on bikes. I was in uniform and actually on my way to the base so I had my side arm on me. I actually had to pull it and get the guy to stop, He had hit the biker in front of me. Once he realized that I was military he actually froze long enough for me to get his keys. He went to jail for a very long time... I actually think he's still in jail. He got pretty near the max sentence for attempted vehicular manslaughter. It was all over a mistake of the cage cutting the biker off and the biker flicking the cage off. He was ready to run someone over for that.

Ever since then I don't like to ride without carrying. He may not have hit you that hard but it doesn't take much for him to just drive right over top of you in his rage and kill you.
Wow, that's pretty hairy man. I always forget to carry mine while riding. I'd like to think I don't need it, but that just goes back to that old adage; I'd rather have and not need...

Spunky99

Glad you're OK Spunky!
I feel pretty good. I'm sore in a few spots where I strained my muscles trying to keep the bike up and where the bike hit my right inner thigh and of course the area where the car squished my leg. It happened really fast and there was no time to do anything but go down.
Of course the hydrocodone is helping too....
I'm off to walk to get something to eat...can't legally drive...:D

Enjoy the video:

Benny BMW.avi - YouTube

dart1963

Super Moderator
Elite Member

Spunky99

man... again, glad you walked away... glad it wasn't worse, glad he got cited (and hopefully with your video evidence, put away for a long time)
Cited?....not!

How about arrested and detained from Friday morning until Monday morning when he goes to arraignment and has to figure out how to pay a $100,000.00 bail......

I am really glad I walked away....thanks

r0ar

My only worry is the distance you followed him. Granted most the charges that doesnt matter I wouldnt think but he could say he was in fear for his well being because you kept following him. Rook help me here haha I'm just putting my not to much knowing of the law ideas out there.

buzzbomb

Elite Member

Spunky99

I feel pretty good. I'm sore in a few spots where I strained my muscles trying to keep the bike up and where the bike hit my right inner thigh and of course the area where the car squished my leg. It happened really fast and there was no time to do anything but go down.
Of course the hydrocodone is helping too....
I'm off to walk to get something to eat...can't legally drive...:D

Enjoy the video:

That dude was seriously scared. I'm betting his drawers were brown. Even if he wasn't apprehended and charged with all kinds of nasty stuff, I'm betting you scared him enough that he'll never make another u-turn.

We've an understanding, so I can say - in all seriousness and with even a little empathy: You're frickin' nuts! I want to chase down those people, and explain the facts of life. But I'd never do it, because I know it's pointless and would probably end badly for me.

But you did it. I in no way condone your actions. But darn if you didn't chase down a cager who did something stupid. You were relatively uninjured. You've said the damage to the bike is no big deal. Damn, don't do it again. Anyone reading this, that was STUPID in all caps. Don't. Do. That. But darn if I don't enjoy watching that vid, thinking of all the idiot cagers I wanted to chase down, and darn if I'm not a little jealous.
Thank you buzzbomb....I agree.....Don't do this people..it's not what a sane person does....It was an episode of the Wild Wild West.
I am glad that I was able to get video so you all can enjoy a totally insane squid performance. (Takes bow) I hope not to repeat this again tho. At no time was I angry or road raging. I was calm and pretty amused throughout he whole episode. I was disappointed that my bike bled out (oil) but that can be fixed. The $175.00 tow fee was the most painful part.

As the motor Officer said....I was 50% at fault for getting my bike broken for chasing him down but that doesn't excuse his using a 3000 pound vehicle as a deadly weapon. I was stopped and he was in no danger. Some people get crazy over a bee or a dog near them. That doesn't give them the right or excuse to use deadly force against a human being. A pathetic human being that has no regard for human life or laws is no longer driving around and endangering the public at large.
I don't know what he was thinking when he hit me and knocked me over but at no time did I threaten him. If he was afraid I was going to do him harm, the Police station was only 4 blocks away. But I guess when you are a criminal already the Police are not who you look to for protection.

On a good note, there were more than 5 people that stopped and asked me if I was OK and if I needed any help before the Police arrived. Strangers looking to help a fellow human. That made me feel very good!