Biker Down

Spunky99

The triumph will need some repair. I'm fine.

Long story short, U-turn cager almost took me out. I decided to talk to him and be a good guy and help him to look for bikers instead of being the asshole I usually am and just bust off a mirror or kick the car. He ran, running every stop and red light, I followed, stopped at stop signs and waited at all red lights. Morning traffic and splitting lanes makes this an easy game to play, no way was he going to evade me. After a good 10 minutes of zipping all over, He finally stopped and I drove up alongside his passenger door to ask him WTF? I wasn't mad, just kinda amused that he was trying to evade me which was impossible. I was stopped, he turned the steering wheel towards me and moved forward 5 feet. as my leg was being smooshed between the car and my bike, I turned my bars and let out the clutch too fast and stalled the bike which then went down on it's right side.
He backed up 150 yards down the street and ran. Witnesses came forward with lic plate and phone numbers. They ID'd the guy after he was caught 2 minutes later a couple blocks away and so did I. He went to jail for 245PC which is assault with a deadly weapon. I expect he will be charged with felony hit and run, vehicular assault and a ton of other charges at arraignment.
The car is registered to another person who wasn't driving and I doubt there will be any insurance. I have PL and PD, no comprehensive. I thought I had uninsured motorist but they said I don't.
My left leg is fine but my right leg and back got tweaked while trying to hold the bike up as it went down.
One of the fairing pins busted through the crankcase cover and spilled all the oil out so I had to be towed home. I'll do a thorough examination of the bike when I get home after going to urgent care to get some good pain killers.

In retrospect, the biggest full moon in 10 years and drinko de Mayo is tomorrow. Maybe I should have either blown it off or been an asshole and busted his mirror. Either way I can see this playing out as an illegal alien that bought a car from someone that just registered it and then never re-registered it, doesn't have a driver's license or green card, was drunk and indigent. My only hope is that the registered owner didn't turn in the waiver of responsibility and she has some $$. LA sucks due to all the illegals here. They play lots of games to get cars with registration stickers on the license plate and never re-register or get insurance, a license or anything and then run after killing someone. The Police don't bother you if your license plate sticker is current so unless they hit someone and get caught, they get away with it.

dart1963

Super Moderator
Elite Member

fltdriver

:eek: I would almost bet he gets off with little more than a stiff fine, a few nights in jail and two years of probation. Overcrowding, what can you do?

Glad you are alright, kinda hard to win a cage fight.

bmw675

glad to hear you are alright and nothing too serious came of it for you/bike.

Also, glad to see the driver caught. It's great when witnesses come forward to help others out, otherwise it is almost impossible to prove who did what.

CrazyCawi

I'm so sorry man that's a horrible experience. Just can't win can we man something bullshit always has to happen

---
I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?mg10pp
Sent from Joshua's android dominating iPhone using Tapatalk

99vengeur

Administrator
Staff member
Man, sorry to hear about the incident. Will people ever learn to share the road. :soapbox:

I'm glad you weren't seriously injured/maimed and the bike only suffered minor damage.

Marthy

World Most Bad A$$ 6R
Elite Member

cdsdave

Wild story, glad to hear you came out the other end in one piece. I always regret when I let road rage get the best of me.

MustGoFaster

That's jacked, man! Glad yer doing ok.

Living in AZ, I hear ya about the illegals. My buddy had one hit him in Chicago, so they're everywhere. If you wanna come to this country, fine, do it like everyone else instead of sneaking in like a damned thief. My family fought and died to get in, you figure these low-lifes could man-up and try to do the same. /endrant :soapbox:

JSP

Super Moderator
Really glad you are ok man... But why on earth are you chasing down someone? He "almost" hit you. Which means he did not. No reason to escalate the situation and have stuff like this happen and turn into an actual assault. He could have killed you. He was probably scared shitless that a biker is chasing him down. Most people would have ran. Bikes do not win against cars...

Again, glad you are ok, but let this be a lesson to others of what not to do.

MNGreg

waiting out winter
Elite Member

MiltonDorkenhoff

Search, THEN post.
Elite Member

MustGoFaster

Really glad you are ok man... But why on earth are you chasing down someone? He "almost" hit you. Which means he did not. No reason to escalate the situation and have stuff like this happen and turn into an actual assault. He could have killed you. He was probably scared shitless that a biker is chasing him down. Most people would have ran. Bikes do not win against cars...

Gotta kinda agree with my mans ova hyah though... Coulda been avoided...

Again, glad yer still breathing. :D

Roaddawg

Man, Spunky, didn't you watch that cabby vs. ped video Marthy posted up?? Car always wins! Just messing with ya. Glad your o.k. and they caught the bastard...but, next time, don't get yourself in that situation, or it might be more than your bike that gets hurt. Ride safe brother.

P.S. If he serves time for some felonies, they may deport him after he's done the time....oh, wait, that's L.A., I forgot...they'll just give him a hug and let him go. Probably reimburse him for the impound too. :banghead:

Nastybutler

Cynical Member
Elite Member

Spunky99

To be honest, I actually was pretty amused at his attempts to evade. It is almost impossible for ANY car to evade a bike. I was hoping a Cop would see him and pursue the whole time. I stayed back where I was nice and safe. I know he knew I was behind him but at times I was a couple of blocks away waiting for cars or red lights. It wasn't like I was right behind him and being a scary biker. It was morning traffic and you can only go so fast in a car and no reason to chase him.....
It is true this was a near miss and I should have just blown it off and continued on my merry way......That is the lesson we can take from this.
but
I never got mad or road raged in any way. I did let my guard down because I was not mad or freaked out and pulled alongside him at the end and that was a big mistake as I never expected him to try to hit me with his car to disable me so I couldn't follow him anymore.
Dooooohhh...
After watching that guy in Brazil get clobbered by that Woman after he kicked at her car, I should have known better than to put myself near a car that is being driven erratically. My mistake there.......

JSP

Super Moderator
This is why I always raise the ::bsflag: when I see a movie where a car is being chased by motorcycles. It's like, how stupid can you be not to just HIT THEM WITH YOUR CAR? Especially if they're trying to aim a gun at you, seeing as they now only have partial control of the bike. :rolleyes:

It is a battle a bike won't win IRL. I prefer to just give the cager the single finger salute as I pass their cage at around 10K RPM.
I know, I keep yelling at the TV when a bike is on a cars ass chasing them... "All you have to do is hit your breaks and they are dead!!!" haha Or one little swerve bump even. Scary stuff. Can get deadly fast.