Big guy suspension settings

D

Deleted member 9794

I noticed my rear shock is set at 3 from the dealer and after riding ~100miles today I don't know what I should be looking for to tell me whether or not to adjust the suspension :confused:

I didn't notice anything I would refer to as "bottoming out" although I did a good job avoiding bumps and potholes. I'm 6'1" ~285 lbs (probably 300+ with full gear) and common sense tells me that "3" is probably too soft. I will be doing short commutes to work (no interstate, 45mph max) and weekend "stress relief" riding that will include short stints on the interstate.

Any recommendations or tests I could perform to figure this out would be much appreciated.

Diluted

Super *********
Elite Member
D

Deleted member 9794

Mines at 5 and I'm about 190lbs with gear...Yesterday I hit a pretty wicked bump and it completely bottomed out and flattened my license plate. I'm thinking of going to 6 or 7.
Thanks and yea I was reading your thread about it - that's what got me to thinking about mine at my weight! I'll crank it up to 6, go out for a spin on a bumpy road, and see if I notice a difference.

Although the riding situations may be different I'm still interested to know what level other guys around my size have their's set at or if they have actually upgraded the shock.

JonKerr

Elite Member

Superzoom

From what I know about suspension, if you're not bottoming out, then you do not need to change the preload. Preload will shorten your suspension stroke and make the suspension more harsh.

If you do find that your suspension bottoms, then you either need a stiffer spring or different damping.

If you do not bottom your suspension, but the ride is bouncy and wallowy, then you need different damping. The only way to do this is with a new shock with different or adjustable damping, or to rebuild your shock with different oil and/or damping.

Changing the preload to compensate for your weight is a poorer substitute for having correct rate springs and correct damping. But really what matters most is if it feels fine to you for the type of riding you do on the roads you do it on.

raven6

From what I know about suspension, if you're not bottoming out, then you do not need to change the preload. Preload will shorten your suspension stroke and make the suspension more harsh.

If you do find that your suspension bottoms, then you either need a stiffer spring or different damping.

If you do not bottom your suspension, but the ride is bouncy and wallowy, then you need different damping. The only way to do this is with a new shock with different or adjustable damping, or to rebuild your shock with different oil and/or damping.

Changing the preload to compensate for your weight is a poorer substitute for having correct rate springs and correct damping. But really what matters most is if it feels fine to you for the type of riding you do on the roads you do it on.
truth as been spoken here... for your weight you should look at getting new springs...

D

Deleted member 9794

truth as been spoken here... for your weight you should look at getting new springs...
Simple enough for me to understand :thumbup: Thanks everyone - I went up to 7, went out for a ride, and the main difference I noticed was that the ride felt smoother (i.e. I noticed bumps less). I'll ride around a bit more to get a better feel for what I need and once I hit 600miles and go back in for the first oil change I will look at upgrading the fork internals and rear shock.

Any recommended or opinions on brands? I'm not racing but I would like to only do this once (aside from maintenance stuff).