Best body suit ? jacket ? pants ? boots ? gloves ?

S

Schybrid

Hi guys,
I'm new to riding in general. Have experience from when i was younger. Older now, 39, and in the process of getting a new FZ6R. i wanna make sure im safe while riding.
My questions is, what is the best gear to get to be safe, yet be somewhat cost efficient, and cool ?

I have another thread regarding heat etc.... and someone suggested getting "white" gear. this makes absolute sense to me as in, black vs white, white is gonna be cooler for sure.

What is the best, inexpensive,cool gear to get ?
I live in miami , and temps are pretty hot.
I know the BEST gear is prob more expensive, and I cant blow my load on just gear, but am willing to spend a LIL more to get something better vs something avg.

I am getting the Nexx XR1R carbon helmet ( bad disc in my neck) so need this for lightweight.

but i need to know whats best :

1. gloves, white.
2. jacket or suit, white .
3. boots, white. (preferably some that resist heat on legs from engine,etc)

I will probably end up spending $6500-$7000 on motorcycle, and another $600 on helmet.

I'm looking to add another $800-$1000 for remaining gear.

Any input from you guys is greatly appreciated, and thanks in advanced for any help.
:)

Scott_Thomas

Insert title Here
Elite Member
Last edited:

efforex

I think you are best off getting the air sets from alpinestars and sidi boots i personally love my dainese boots over sidi more ankle protection and get a true piece suit if your not going to do track if you are get a one piece

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

S

Schybrid

yeah the $800 budget was just a random amount. I'd like to spend alot less, but dont wanna spend $400 say, and then spill the bike , and have $5000 hospital bill for broken ankle etc. just example***

I'm going to be using the FZ6R for recreational purpose only. Not long distance riding, not tracking, and no knee down on pavement etc.. just spirited straights etc, until i get hang of riding again, im not gonna be a badass, i need to respect the power and control of the bike.:mikebike:

holy !!!

alpine stars stuff is expensive, dayum !!!

Last edited by a moderator:

Scott_Thomas

Insert title Here
Elite Member
S

Schybrid

LOL! Yeah apparently many of the riders in this forum are very well off financially. ;) Honestly if I had the money I'd be decked out in Alpinestar's gear too. Just don't have that kind of flow. LOL

Yup, I have to work hard for every dollar I earn, so thats why I'm researching all of it prior to purchase, so i only have to buy it once.

Your way ahead of me though, you already have your bike, so your $7000-$8000 ahead basically,LOL

S

Schybrid

also , real qwk question :

are the jackets, pants, gloves and boots actually comfortable ??

the leather jacket & pants seems like if it would be outright crazy to wear in 80-90 degree weather !!!! are they vented ??

and some of the nicer gloves LOOK as if your hand cant even bend, the gloves look soo beefy and rigid ???

Scott_Thomas

Insert title Here
Elite Member

linkgt

For that budget you should be able to get some decent gear. Gloves unless your gonna be racing aren't that expensive, pants aren't super expensive either, most of your cost will be a quality textile or perf leather jacket with armor. You'll want something super breathable. Your budget is way higher than mine. LOL! My wife doesn't like my bike or when I spend money towards it so I get stuff when I can. There are a bunch of members here from Florida and Southern Cali that could help you on gear that won't overheat you.

*edit
Forgot about boots. I don't wear bike boots, which in my opinion are pretty much overpriced hiking boots, but a lot of people on here swear by them. I can see the need if you're riding super aggressive or just really want all the protection possible. I may eventually get some, but for now I have a nice pair of boots (non-biker).

I would highly suggest boots with armor. I was involved in a very minor accident last year and I was wearing some cheap half alpinestars shoes with virtually 0 protection. I basically fell off the bike and in the process, ended up hurting my foot. My ankle was hurting for days! nothing serious, but I couldnt even imagine if I fell off at anything over 20 mph.

Alpinestars S-MX 5 Vented Boot - RevZilla

I just got those. I haven't been able to actually ride with them yet, but they seem the be the best bang for your buck. Just look for boots that include protection and you should be ok.

linkgt

also , real qwk question :

are the jackets, pants, gloves and boots actually comfortable ??

the leather jacket & pants seems like if it would be outright crazy to wear in 80-90 degree weather !!!! are they vented ??

and some of the nicer gloves LOOK as if your hand cant even bend, the gloves look soo beefy and rigid ???
For gloves, I would suggest REV'IT. I have a pair :

REV'IT! SLR Race Gloves - RevZilla

And honestly, they are the best gloves i've ever worn. It feels perfect and it doesnt hinder me controlling the bike at all. (EDIT: also forgot to add I wear these all summer long. The only time they felt uncomfortable was during a heat wave wear temps reach almost 100f)

As for leather, Once you start hitting above 70-75 degrees, it will feel hot. You might get away with wearing vented leather up to say.. 80's or so until it starts to feel uncomfortable. You're in miami, so i would definitely look to buy mesh gear. Here in NY, it's what I wear during the summer and sometimes in gets hot even wearing mesh, but once I get moving its not bad.

Here's a link for mesh jackets :

Men's Mesh Motorcycle Jackets - RevZilla

If I were you(lived in a climate like florida), I would look into a mesh jacket that contains a decent liner (not just a windbreaker). My friend had this one mesh jacket from shift that included a heavy liner so he actually wore it during the fall as well. Hope this helps

As for leg protection, I usually wear motorcycle jeans while wearing a pair of these underneath:

http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/forcefield-strap-on-knee-protector

If you're looking for better protection, just look for pants that include Knee AND Hip protection

Last edited:

Scott_Thomas

Insert title Here
Elite Member

b_who

linkgt

I will eventually get them and know I am taking certain risks by not wearing ATGATT. I'm getting better and eventually will have everything. I have been slowly trying to get everything.
Same here man. I just got those boots after 2 years of riding! was wearing cheap stuff before. Just warning OP and anyone else though that even at very slow accidents, your foot will be hurt if wearing sneakers or whatever.

RoadTrip

The gear choices do make a difference concerning heat, but its not just a question of mesh vs leather. A well designed perforated leather jacket with vents will pull air thru and can be a lot more comfortable than you would imagine. Helmets are the same way, I started with a Shoei RF1000, I realized early on it was gonna be too hot for the summer, so I got an X-11 on clearance and it is waaaay cooler, and even a spectra shield is cooler than a smoke one, for example.

Fit is another area that is not discussed that often, if you have a skin tight item, then there is very little room for air to move, yes it is safer to have skin tight, but if you are tight in a Lg jacket and just a little big in an XL, then consider the XL - it will flow more air at speed and also will accomodate undergarments in cooler weather. Don't size up the helmet or gloves though, those should be snug.

I also have Revit race gloves, for some reason they are a lot cooler than the original cheapo ones I intially got, designed correctly I guess. Leather race style pants can get hot, get perforated if you go leather, it makes a big difference. And, yes, get the full shin race style boots as well. A top of the line outfit can run near $2000 (boots, gloves, pants, jacket, and helmet), you could certainly do well at $1000 also. The difference is not necessarily safety or quality, but fit and comfort, that is what the extra bucks seem to provide. The gear lasts for years, though, my original set is pushing 20,000 miles and I still haven't worn anything out yet.

BKP

I would highly suggest boots with armor. I was involved in a very minor accident last year and I was wearing some cheap half alpinestars shoes with virtually 0 protection. I basically fell off the bike and in the process, ended up hurting my foot. My ankle was hurting for days! nothing serious, but I couldnt even imagine if I fell off at anything over 20 mph.

Alpinestars S-MX 5 Vented Boot - RevZilla

I just got those. I haven't been able to actually ride with them yet, but they seem the be the best bang for your buck. Just look for boots that include protection and you should be ok.
Boots: I 2nd the above. I have the non-vented version, and they're a) ridiculously comfortable; b) very secure; c) extremely good protection. One slight niggle, is that the inside heel slider rubs the peg's rearset, and tends to mar the coating. Not bad, but just a head's up. I'd buy another pair in a heartbeat.

Jacket: Tourmaster Series 3 Flex. Works for me for 3 seasons. Inner removable warmth liner; outer removable waterproof liner. So much mesh (and protection) on the main shell, that the wind blows through as if you weren't wearing anything. Comfortable, adjustable, and it looks very good.

Gloves: For the winter - Alpinestars Tech Road (if you're in Florida, you'll never need those). For 50-70 degree weather, Rev'It Hybrid. Love 'em. warm, comfortable, good protection, and they have inductive fingertips for smartphones. Summer - Icon Pursuit perforated (I hear they now have this in a phone touchscreen model).

S

Schybrid

Thanks alot guys,
Appreciate all your input so far. So basically good gear(protective) can be attained for less than $1000, only difference might be comfortability somewhat.

Another question is, on the jackets, do you guys wear a tshirt under the jacket. or does it have a tshirt type liner ?

buzzbomb

Elite Member

bmw675

There's endless options out there...

As far as gloves go, I would strongly recromend full gauntlet gloves. You don't want a jacket sliding up on your arms, only to reveal your wrists.

Second, perforated leather would be a great option. I've got all black perforated suit, jacket, and boots that I wear in 95+ temps. Sure, white would be cooler. but I'm just saying that perforation makes a huge difference, no need to drop to mesh really, if safety is your number one priority.

Teknic makes great stuff, I especially like their xcelerator gloves. They have the scaphoid sliders built in too.

S

Schybrid

thanks guys for the last 2 replies. I'm going to look into the perforated leather and something not alpine stars. Why is alpine stars stuff more expensive ? is it better quality ? comfort ? protection ?