Beginner bike for my wife?

Uno979

Thuper Moderator
Premium Member
Last edited:

stuna

I had an 09 Ninja 250 just to play on, ended up loving to ride it so much i put 20,000+ miles on it in a year & a half. Those are great starter bikes because they are small, easy to handle & very comfortable to ride, but you can ride it all day at 90+ MPH if you want.
there was a article about the 250 , he got it for his wife and then he put on 100k on it

Insure Gal

Ninja 250 sounds like the place to start looking. By highway riding, I mean 80KPH limit 2 lane roads. She has no interest in freeway riding. I'm going ot have to get her to sit on one. Anybody have any experience with the CBR125? A bit small, but I might have a line on one...
CBR125's are pretty popular here are starters for some smaller girls and even some guys cause they are pretty cheap and very easy to handle.
My bro in law has one for his commuter and he's be riding about 20 years,,,,, he loves it!

I found the 125 a little bit too small for me.
I started out with a Suzuki GS500 that I've now passed on to my daughter. That's a good starter too and one that she won't outgrow in a hurry.

creggur

That little bike was a blast to ride. I'd take it out sometimes instead of the VFR just to sling it around.... It would cut a line through a corner like nobody's business, and the fun of revving it up and up and up and up. It truly is fun to ride a slow bike fast! It'll mess with your ego though, you start feeling like you're a better rider than you are (it's very forgiving) and then you jump back on a bigger bike and it's like, "whoah...can't slam this throttle wide open mid-corner to accelerate outa the curve."

I do miss playing on it sometimes though...

JnT4Life

Another vote for the Ninja 250 if you are planning her to upgrade to the FZ6R next spring. My wife is also a new rider (since April) and I have started her on a GS500F. I am positive she could move up to an FZ6R soon, but she loves that Suzuki! Actually she is trying to take my Vstar from me :eek:

THEATH

suggestions from a woman rider - my zoom zoom

I just began riding this year after taking a MSF class. I started with the 492cc buell blast and have put over 1500 miles on the bike since May. The bike has a very low seat height and up right seating position. The class was taught on the 205 rebel and I much prefer the blast. I am 5'4.

I did not want a "crusier" style bike, or a ugly bike. The blast is a "cute" bike and available in many colors. I was able to find a 2002 with 1200 miles and custom graphics for $1900 I put 2 new avon tires on for under 150.00. The bike is great at speeds upto 60-65. Once I get past 65, I feel the wind blows the bike around too much. However, my husband has had the bike at 90mph.

The buell handles great, over 400 of the miles on the bike are from the twisty hilly roads of yellowstone park.

I was also concered about laying down a new bike and causing a lot of damange. The good news is you can buy about any piece of plastic for the buell that you want on ebay for under $20.00.

I also looked at the ninja, but was not happy with the riding position. It also was considerably more money, especially when I was quite certian I would want an upgrade after a year or so.

I have riden the FZ6R several times and will own one as soon as my blast is sold. Beyond the power the FZ6R is taller, smoother and seems to perform better in the wind.

RandiZ

First and foremost, she should take the MSF course. It has saved my life everyday I'm on the bike. Second, the first bike should almost always be a used because it will in most likely not be the last. That being said, I bought my Vulcan 800 two weeks prior to taking MSF course because I got a great deal on one that had under 1000 miles on it. That bike sat in my friend's garage until after I took the course. I put my first 50 miles on it in his parking lot. I've heard of people starting on 250's and starting on Harley's. It is very individual.

My partner wanted to ride as a gift to herself after graduating from college. She loved riding on the back of mine. But, after a little lesson of her own, it was a big turn off for her. She just didn't like the feel of handling the motorcycle on her own. She did continue to like riding with me, though.

There is no right way to do it. Shop around. Sit on everything that strikes her fancy. She'll know which bike is hers.