Beginner bike for my wife?

Brock Kickass

I'm looking for some ideas on what bike to start my wife on riding. She is 5 feet even, and has never been on a bike. She is not very interested in going fast, but wants something that will keep up with the FZ8 I will be getting in the spring. I won't be riding like Valentino Rossi when she's tagging along, but she wants something that will hold its own on the highway.
She is (unfortunately) very averse to ugly bikes, but I don't think she'd be able to handle something like an FZ6R. It's not so much the power (although I am worried a bike this quick will get away from her) but the weight. Because she is so short, she needs a bike that is very easy for her to push around. I've had her sit on my FZ6R in the driveway on the stand, and I'm not confident that she would be able to walk the bike without dropping it.
This is frustrating, because I would like nothing more than for her to take over my FZ6R when I get my new bike in the spring.
She is also sitting on the fence about getting in to riding, so something inexpensive to buy and run would definitely sway her toward getting in to riding.
I think she would be best able to get along with something that looks like a Suzuki Bandit or Honda Hornet, but small displacement and nice and light, with a low seat. Suggestions would be appreciated.

stevet

The last thing we want is for anything unsafe to hapen to her. It's supposed to be about how much fun you can have. It seems light after it's moving but I'm concerned about her muscleing it around when parking. Being 5' tall doesn't help. There are some girls that size that ride this bike but I'm guessing most of them got their experience on something smaller in the beginning. I am glad Jacob that you value her safety.

Detrich

i think you should (1) first educate her about the overall process of learning how to ride a motorcycle so that she has the correct expectations. (2) Enroll and put her through the MSF course & get her licensed. And, then (3) assess what her starter bike will be- depending on how good her skills are after the course and how comfortable you guys feel.

at that point you can decide whether you want to choose to lower the 6R for her because (a) it will 100% have to be lowered, and (b) she will more than likely drop it one way or another- which is ok, if you're ok with that.

or, alternatively you guys could pickup a used, inexpensive "learner" bike for her to learn with- until she's proficient enough to move up to the 6R. as long as she understands that a starter bike is not the end game, and that eventually she'll get something nice, it should be ok. kawasaki ninja 250's are good starter bikes- since they are light, easier to handle, and can also be lowered. ninja 250's are very easy to sell & turn around once u outgrow it. and, since buyers of this bike type are almost always beginners, there's not much concern over cosmetic blemishes- it's a given. (craigslist is flooded with ninja 250's at a glance at any given time.)

for your reference, there are two petite 5' female riders at my local monthly bike meet that both ride white 2009/2010 GSX-R's. after seeing them zoom around, i'm now convinced most sport bikes can be lowered to accomodate their height/ size. but, both of these girls have been riding for almost 4-5 years and they know what they are doing... they are also very "fit" and have enough strength to push it around. another female friend who's also a petite 5' tried sitting on my bike (with the stand down) at our last meet too. and, honestly- there is absolutely no way at stock height that she can even remotely handle the 6R safely. it would absolutely have to be lowered...

owldaddy

I'd find a used Honda Rebel, it has a seat height of 26". She will out grow it, but by then she will be proficient enough to ride something bigger. They are 331 pounds and cheap.

dart1963

Super Moderator
Elite Member

ry-mac75

new rider, small frame - a 600 is probably too much bike for her. Don't worry about her keeping up to your bike, worry about her being comfortable on the bike she has. My girl is 5'6, has a Ninja 250 and is a new rider - it's all she can handle. A Honda CBR 125R is likely the best start for her, it's light and not very intimidating. Don't let what you're riding dictate what she should start on.

Good luck in the 'frew

Skidro

I had an 09 Ninja 250 just to play on, ended up loving to ride it so much i put 20,000+ miles on it in a year & a half. Those are great starter bikes because they are small, easy to handle & very comfortable to ride, but you can ride it all day at 90+ MPH if you want.

redwing-2001

Detrich makes some really good points, especially using the MSF Basic RiderCourse as an exploratory exercise to see if riding is for her. We see situations all the time where one person in a relationship wants the other to experience all the excitement and enjoyment they feel. Sometimes they do feel it afterwards and sometimes they don't. She sounds a little tentative so the best (and certainly the least expensive if it is not for her) way to find out is to take the basic course and get her on a solid foundation. Sometimes it works out and the SO decides to pursue motorcycling, sometimes it doesn't. My wife, for instance is very comfortable being a passenger and not a pilot. She doesn't mind me going for a ride occasionaly with "the guys". The point is, give her the freedom to make her own decision and make sure that decision has nothing to do with pleasing you. If, after taking the Basic RiderCourse, she decides to pursue riding on her own, then the best advise I heard on how to choose a motorcycle came from a wise old mentor of mine, "take your time and look around, sit on them, listen to them, read about them. You will know which one is for you because after that process, you don't pick the motorcyle, the motorcycle picks you".

Peter
MSF RiderCoach

Brock Kickass

Good tips from all. She is interested in riding because she does not really enjoy being a passenger, but enjoys the feeling of being on a bike. She would rather have control.
I'm inclined to look for something in the 250 size range for her. Knowing her personality, I don't think she would outgrow something like a Ninja 250. I've never seen one close enough to know a lot about them, but I was unsure about seat height. If they can be lowered it takes a lot of guessing out of it.
I will encourage her to take the course, but after that she will have to teach herself. While teaching her to drive standard, I learned that she prefers to learn on her own. Get the fundamentals down and go at her own pace sort of thing. I'm not sure if she would be interested in the course, but I go so far as to refuse to ride with her unless she takes it. There's a lot of great info in the course, and she doesn't have the benefit of a childhood filled with minibikes, ATV's, snowmobiles, and the like.
I doubt she'd go for one of the smaller cruisers. I hate to say it, but she hates the look of them, regardless of how easy they are to handle. Therein lies the challenge, because most sport bikes are taller. With her being so short something light would be great.
How does lowering a bike affect the handling? I've always found the sport riding position the most natural, and I think she would have the best chance at picking it up in that position, but she will get discouraged if she drops the bike 3 times in the driveway before we hit the road.
The other reason I am sort of looking without her is because if I find a great buy on something that would be good, I'd probably bring it home and surprise her. Because of that, I want to find something that would work
Also, please don't misunderstand me. I love my FZ6R, and hate to see it go, but I don't believe for a minute that it would be safe for her. It is too heavy, and has way too much power. Low speed accidents happen, but it would be tragic if she twisted too hard in 3rd and found herself terrified and quickly approaching 120(KPH) not knowing what to do. My lament was more that it's a shame she's not ready for that bike, not that I can't find a way to present it to her as a beginner machine. I grew up in a motorcycle/snowmobile racing family, and safety first is something we all learned from a very early age.
Thanks for the tips all! If there's any info I'm missing, it's welcome!

Brock Kickass

BTW, I showed her a YSR 80, but she thought it looked stupid. Damn, it would have been fun to have one of those hanging around the yard.

Rabbitman109

Lumen Junkie
Elite Member

Rabbitman109

Lumen Junkie
Elite Member

Uno979

Thuper Moderator
Premium Member

Uno979

Thuper Moderator
Premium Member

creggur

My wife is 5'1" and about 105 in full gear. She started on a 2007 Ninja 250 that we picked up last November for $1500. It only had 3,000 on the odometer, was light enough for her diminutive stature, and the modest power delivery and predictable riding nature was perfect for her to learn on.

Fast-forward 9 months... We found a left-over 09 FZ6R for $5,000 and after a little negotiating pulled $1,500 in trade for the Ninja. She calls it her "Big Girl Bike" because the Ninja was so sedate.

Problems she encountered making the transition: 1) Weight and height of the bike. These have been overcome with the addition of the Roaring Toys lowering link. She can nearly flat-foot the bike with riding boots on (nothing custom, just Tourmaster rain-proof riding boots) and has developed techniques to muscle the bike off the sidestand. She can back the bike out of a level parking spot while straddling now.
2) Throttle Response: Basically, the carburated 250 had none. The FZ6R was quite a transition for her, and she struggled a bit getting things underway in a smooth fashion. An hour of parking lot practice solved this situation, so no biggie..

Things she likes better than the 250: 1) Throttle response - now that she's used to it she loves it. Not to mention the better acceleration after things are underway. Now, she's no speed demon, but she is enjoying the new-found power.
2) The weight of the bike - The FZ6R is much more stable at speed, smoother through corners and isn't pushed around by wind gusts nearly as much as the 250.

It's ironic that the things she struggled with at first are the things she appreciates most now - it just took a little adjusting to get there. She has said she's glad she started on the little Ninja as it was a perfect platform to learn on, but she is now fully in love with her Pearl and Pink 6R...

Those used 250's are everywhere, we were the third owners, and Tracie was the third wife to learn on this very bike. They are affordable, easy to work on, and retain their resale value nicely. I just don't see how you could go wrong with one as a beginner street machine...

Marthy

World Most Bad A$$ 6R
Elite Member

Brock Kickass

Ninja 250 sounds like the place to start looking. By highway riding, I mean 80KPH limit 2 lane roads. She has no interest in freeway riding. I'm going ot have to get her to sit on one. Anybody have any experience with the CBR125? A bit small, but I might have a line on one...

Rabbitman109

Lumen Junkie
Elite Member

creggur

Ninja 250 sounds like the place to start looking. By highway riding, I mean 80KPH limit 2 lane roads. She has no interest in freeway riding. I'm going ot have to get her to sit on one. Anybody have any experience with the CBR125? A bit small, but I might have a line on one...
That kind of riding is right in the little Ninja's wheelhouse. It'll do it all day long...

Freeways are a bit more...umm - exciting - I guess would be the word. You get knocked around pretty good by 18-wheelers and even wound all the way out doesn't really keep up with the flow of traffic. And if it does you've got nothing left in reserve if needed...