Be safe ...

KenS

I'm a new member here, but just wanted to remind everyone to not ride beyond your limits. Yes, I know it sounds preachy, but I mean this just as a reminder to all my fellow cyclists. Why? Well, coming back from a ride yesterday one of our guys turned back to retrieve a card he left at a restaurant. He was the son of one of our other riders. Dad told him to just forget it, call the bank, and get a new card. Son, insisted on going back.

Roads were clear, sunshine out, but these roads are not meant for beginners and you need your wits about you all the time. Got the call a couple hours later. He skidded going into a curve, went over the guard rail while in the canyons, a passerby found him as he made it back to the side of the road, but he died a few moments later from internal injuries.

This was my first time riding with him and afterwards we found out he really only had less than six months riding. By all appearances (watching him ride in the group), he seemed to do fine, but in retrospect I believe those roads were too advanced for him. So ... to all, please be careful, have fun, ride hard, but ride safe and WITHIN YOUR PERSONAL LIMITS.

JonKerr

Elite Member

KenS

Thanks guys. Yes, quite the wakeup indeed. It's still a shock, just a few hours earlier we were sitting at a roadside location having some sodas (yes, really) and my last words to him were "ride safe".

JonKerr

Elite Member

99vengeur

Administrator
Staff member
Sorry to here about the loss. My thoughts to you and the family.

JSP

Super Moderator
:( Sorry to hear

WenMark

Sorry to hear about about the loss of your friend. My condolences to you and the family. When I teach drivers ed I tell my students mostly green young drivers that danger is always lurking so you have to be on guard at every moment. You never know and driving and riding is a full time job you have to anticipate what can happen always and this will keep you out of danger. I always think "I wonder if this person is going to pull out here" or "I should use caution going through this light". It can keep you safe if you anticpate events. Blind curves are extremely dangerous and you must use extra caution. Again I'm sorry Ride safe.

Detrich

am so sorry to hear about the loss of ur friend :(

that reminds me why i keep postpoing & making excuses not to go riding with my co-workers & friends too... i want to go, but i know in my heart that i simply am not experienced yet to keep up with them. i keep remembering that one of my MSF instructors told us in the classroom that it's very important NOT to go riding with your friends until after at least 6+ months to a year of consistent, weekly practice riding first... he said that most beginners get into mishaps in group rides unexpectedly... :(

KenS

I greatly appreciate everyone, thank you again. Detrich, yes riding in groups is hard to do if you're not very experienced because of the peer pressure factor. However, riding with a good group of experienced, mature (meaning, not going to push you or razz you beyond your skill) can be very beneficial because they can teach you how to advance your riding skill. So, if you don't have that kind of group to ride with, then yes definitely hone your own skills for several months before venturing out with a group.

99vengeur

Administrator
Staff member
I greatly appreciate everyone, thank you again. Detrich, yes riding in groups is hard to do if you're not very experienced because of the peer pressure factor. However, riding with a good group of experienced, mature (meaning, not going to push you or razz you beyond your skill) can be very beneficial because they can teach you how to advance your riding skill. So, if you don't have that kind of group to ride with, then yes definitely hone your own skills for several months before venturing out with a group.
I fell victim to this scenario. I had my bike for only a few weeks when I was invited to go for a group ride. I had never met any of the people or even been to the roads that we were going to ride. Turns out that they were very well versed with these roads and used them as their personal racetrack. Needless to say, I had no idea where we were going or where I was, so I tried to keep up. Not for the thrill factor, but because I didn't want to get lost. A few corners into it and I realized that I was pushing WAY beyond my limits and backed off. They rode on to the next turn and waited for me to catch up. From then on, I said I would ride my ride and just see you guys at the next intersection. They were all cool with that and the day turned out to be pretty awesome. I road over 250 miles that day.

Just be comfortable at your pace and everything will be good. It's not how fast you get there, but that you reach your destination.

JonKerr

Elite Member

dart1963

Super Moderator
Elite Member

TOMIK

Sad to heare about lose of fellow rider, my condolences to you and his family. Please everyone be safe.