Be careful when using a torque wrench

bjs045

Mike your story reminds me of a mishap I had as a youngster.

Scenario:
16 years old, first car, 1968 VW Bug, Radio worked, car would not crank over.

I immediately went to the rear of the car and opened the deck lid. Sparks started flying as the power wire from the alternator(converted from stock generator) slid down (cable became loose at the connector). A spark flew directly at my face, I only had time do one thing....close my eyes and pray. I instantly felt intense burning around my eye area...........

I caught the spark between the lids of my eye. The burn mark was about the size of a large grain of sand. Not only was the burn on the outer part of the lid but the partially on the top and inner lid.

I'd probably be blind in that eye if it wasn't for my ninja type reflexes from my asian heritage. :p

Lesson learned....with any type of electrical issue. Disconnect the negative on the battery before troubleshooting with a car. Flip the breaker switch if its dealing with your home.

Last edited:

Roaddawg

You could use "superglue" to mend the skin together if you don't want stitches...seriously. I've used it a couple of times when I've gotten small injuries remodeling my house and working on cars. It helps hold the skin together and heal with less of a scar. ER's use it sometime as well.

creggur

You could use "superglue" to mend the skin together if you don't want stitches...seriously. I've used it a couple of times when I've gotten small injuries remodeling my house and working on cars. It helps hold the skin together and heal with less of a scar. ER's use it sometime as well.
+1 - done that a few times myself. Works like a charm!

Brock Kickass

I work in a tire shop, and have to torque wheels on all day long. Torque wrench slips are common, and damn painful. The worst is when you're really leaning on the wrench, trying to torque some stupid heavy duty pickup to 150ft/lb and the gear in the wrench lets go and you faceplant in to the box side. Ow!

Uno979

Thuper Moderator
Premium Member

bjs045

I work in a tire shop, and have to torque wheels on all day long. Torque wrench slips are common, and damn painful. The worst is when you're really leaning on the wrench, trying to torque some stupid heavy duty pickup to 150ft/lb and the gear in the wrench lets go and you faceplant in to the box side. Ow!
haha thought that only happened to me! It was years ago but I remember like it was yesterday. I've also had the torque wrench slip on a Winnebago....smashed my knuckles straight into the ground.

At one point I was working at high end rim shop, while trying to seat the bead on a 20" rim I had the rod thing slip and pop me in the face :rof:

MikeN02

Yeah, first thing that went through my mind was holy cow that hurt like hell. Then I started to feel around where it hit me to see if I was bleeding, didn't have any on my hands, then I felt some liquid running and felt it again and blood was coming out.

Quickly ran to the bathroom, started washing it, made an icepack and put it on there a little. Whole time thinking this isn't that bad, boxers/mma get cuts like these all the time. So then I started feeling a little bit weak and wobbly and then asked my dad where the bandaids were and then he applied alcohol and bandaid.

Just put on some neosporin and a fresh bandaid.

Thanks for your story guys, I guess it's a part of life going up to get wacked in the face, cut and bleed.

Funny thing is a couple of hours ago I sent my friend a picture and she said just a stitch or two, I said nah I'll just use super glue (forgot where I saw it from) and she said that works too. Finally saw the new posts and you guys are suggesting super glue!

Someone requested the pics of the install here they are:
http://www.600cc.org/forum/f6/holy-cow-just-found-more-protection-20324/index3.html#post263218