anyone mod there airbox intake?

jersy19

i tryed doing a search but no luck. has anyone alter the airbox on the 09. i was thinking of opening up the intake for a better sound and maybe alittle performance if any. i read that they did it on the fz6 but wasnt sure if its the same on the fz6r, thanks. and yes my spelling sucks

reiobard

i tryed doing a search but no luck. has anyone alter the airbox on the 09. i was thinking of opening up the intake for a better sound and maybe alittle performance if any. i read that they did it on the fz6 but wasnt sure if its the same on the fz6r, thanks. and yes my spelling sucks

I am sure that it is possible, take some pics of the airbox cover and let's see if we can figure out where to have you cut!

phantomxc

I've been contemplating this as we have two air ducts that don't really do anything as of right now. It would be pretty sweet to have those actually be useful.

J

jmerch44

I did it on my '07 fz6. The R isnt really any different, just lift the gas tank and go for it. If it has an airbox, it can be modded. Make sure you smooth out the edges, or it defeats the purpose. IMHO

Baer

That's funny, that was the next thing on my list to do! :thumbup:

Though after having the bike off the road even for the few days it took to repaint it.. I may wait a while before doing anymore changes. Need to ride! :rockon:

It just seems like such a waste to have those two intakes on the side leading to nothing eh..

MNDZA

Though after having the bike off the road even for the few days it took to repaint it.. I may wait a while before doing anymore changes. Need to ride! :rockon:

It just seems like such a waste to have those two intakes on the side leading to nothing eh..
Haha you said "eh"

cbzdel

Be sure to post a write up eh :)

F

fireman

I just joined the forum today after surfing through i found out about the mod. As soon as i did i went out on my lunch break and started it only took about 20 minutes to do. I cut the snorkel edge off and also cut the inside wall like it the picture. I can tell a differnce in the idle its a little deeper, but since im pulling shift at the firehouse i havent been able to take it for a ride. I will try to get some pictures up of my bike and let you know how it does with the new mod.

J

jtarkany

I just joined the forum today after surfing through i found out about the mod. As soon as i did i went out on my lunch break and started it only took about 20 minutes to do. I cut the snorkel edge off and also cut the inside wall like it the picture. I can tell a differnce in the idle its a little deeper, but since im pulling shift at the firehouse i havent been able to take it for a ride. I will try to get some pictures up of my bike and let you know how it does with the new mod.
:welcome: Enjoy and ride safe!

Of course as a firefighter, I'm sure you've seen enough to remind you to be safe out there ;)

jersy19

i finally did something with it, i cut a 1 in half inch hole on both sides of the outer wall. one on each side of the snorkel. it definatly sounds nicer, as for preformance not really sure.

llervero

I always tought the intakes were working ones until I bougth the bike. To find out the go no where. Now If we manage to direct some or all that air to the air box. Can we run into problems? Would the airbox or engine PC manage the extra pressure of air without major tunning or another exhaust? Well I guest we just have to find out. I'm contemplating the idea.

K2jer

the reason it isn't done on a bike it for the fact that water can travel down the fairing and right into the air box and be sucked into the engine.

water in intake = bad news

Baer

I do have intentions of connecting those side intakes to the air filter some how without getting wet into it. It is definitely a winter project so I can tear it all open and work on it's guts :D Will definitely post something on that when it's done fer sherrr. :D AND IT WILL BE DONE!

spacemonkey

haha now it looks like its gonna be a race to see who does it first and how well...
what kind of materials do you plan on using?

i plan on making fiberglass ducts to force it in there, iv been looking at it but there gonna have to be small if i want to be able to turn and have a HID ballast in there...

so in that magazine article is it saying if i force all this air in there im gonna loose power???? im confused with that one...

Hellgate