Any thoughts on a bigger rear tire

fuzoku

I saw this brought up a couple times, but no answers: Will an r6 rear wheel fit on our bikes? The roaring toyz fz6r has a 17x6" wheel in the back, so I think our swingarms can handle it. The r6 wheel is 17x5.5 i believe (correct me if I'm wrong). What type of modifications would be required for this?

Hellgate

I saw this brought up a couple times, but no answers: Will an r6 rear wheel fit on our bikes? The roaring toyz fz6r has a 17x6" wheel in the back, so I think our swingarms can handle it. The r6 wheel is 17x5.5 i believe (correct me if I'm wrong). What type of modifications would be required for this?
Dunno.

Here's a suggestion; measure the inner width of your swingarm, then go to the dealer and measure the same area of an R6 swingarm. It's really more dependent on the tire than the wheel. Also remember that the width of the rim will hold the profile of the tire differently, and certain widths rims work best with certain width tires.

If the wheel/tire combo will fit you'll need to check out the axle and axle spacers. You'll also need to measure the center of the rear brake disc and see if it is centered in the caliper. If not you'll need to make/find spacers to get the correct alignment.

lesh24

So the Shinko's are sweet so far. I have about 50 miles on them. Front is the same size as stock and rear is a 170. Still have 50 miles home tonight. The tire really doesnt look much different. I will try to take some pics and throw them up later in the week.

Death of BT-021's!​

YouTube - Burnout FZ6R
Hey are you going to post pics of your setup...im really curious to how it looks....?

vitrox

i'll be checking if my r1 rim will fit when i get the fz back home. won't be anytime soon though, so don't hold your breath.

Halon

Firstly again I'm still new to motorcycles but it seems like just becUse you go wider doesn't inherently mean more grip. In cars at least you can put the widest tire in the world on, but if your rear suspension sucks or the compound is garbage, you'll still spin tires and just have more rotating mass.

For a better handling tire it would likely be dollar for dollar a better investment to just get a stickier compound tire. The idea that wider is better is just not always true.

I'm not trying to call anyone out, and asthetically if you like a wider tire for looks and don't road race, then by all means don't let me stop you. ;)

Last edited:

JonKerr

Elite Member

vitrox

carcass construction has a ton to do with it also. the dunlop slicks I run sort of collapse at lean angles allowing a larger contact patch. here is a good photo showing the contact patch at lean with slicks.

Rat

Vitrox, so have you checked how R1 rear wheel fits to FZ6R?
I've held my breath... :D

Last edited:

2w05thletes

So does the old adage "bigger is better" apply here too!?

wykon

I always thought the larger tire would provide for better grip due to the contact patch, until one of my physics class. Here they defined the grip as being a relation of both friction of the material and the normal force (ie. the force applied downward at the contact). In the real world as opposed to theroies I still believe that more applies here and I do not intend to lead anyone in the wrong direction, but there must be a good reason that Yamaha went with the slimmer tire, as opposed to the FZ6.

The larger tires are for dispersing heat better, keeping the tire at a cooler temperature than a smaller tire. I remember this as being a car tire, so I am not sure if it is 100% converted to a motorcylce tire.

But don't take my word for it, check out the motorcylce mags and post the question there as on Wiki they seem to have some conflicting information, where the mention of size and shape of the contact patch is a factor. I always see the race bikes and cars with smooth (no grove) tires for better contact as stated on Wiki to grip better. So there are a lot of ways to look at this. The moto mags always have some very knowledgeable people there or in their contacts to answer a question like this. It would be great to have the answer so we don't waste our money on a larger tire (I am considering putting one on if the experts say it improves traction, can never have enough on a bike) if it provides no other benefit besides aesthetic value, where the bigger tire definitely wins!

Last edited:

JonKerr

Elite Member

Roaddawg

One thing I learned by using a 170 was that it actually will turn out to be narrower than a 160 because the carcass gets pinched. You end up with a much steeper sidewall, and you end up loosing more than that extra 10mm of useable tire because you can't lean the bike enough to get toward the edge of the tire. I ran a 170/60 BT016, scraping pegs without feelers and just shy of dragging knee, I had a clear 1/2" of chicken strip in the rear while the 120/70 front tire had absolutely zero chicken strip. When I put on a 160 in the same tire, not only did it actually look wider because it's not being pinched in the narrow wheel, but there there was no longer any chicken strip on the rear. The bike also felt like it was more balanced as the profile that the tires were designed to be at was correct front and rear and just worked better all around.
I don't remember you sharing that info with us before? That's some good info to know from your own personal experience. :thumbup:

Fogride

Late in the last century we started putting bigger and bigger tires on the bikes we were building. I went from 130's to 250's and I finally figured out each larger tire was more heavy than the last one. The bike got slower to rev and the end came when I had to upgrade the rear brakes to equal the same stopping power I had in the smaller tire. The same HP motor was used in 3 frames with different size tires and you could feel the slower revs and need for more stopping power. When I got to the 12" tire and new brakes I decided I needed a larger motor to stay up where I already was. Enough! the handling got worse when the tires got larger but some of that was in the long frames and kicked out neck. So, I'm thinking Yamaha put the best size tire for all around handling for the little bike. Anything else is for looks.

JG92

Swing Arm

Correct me if Im wrong but when I got my bike I realized you cant go much wider in the back as far as tire size because of the swingarm. The stock 160 is already very close to the swing arm so I would think that would be much more to worry about than rim fit. Im not trying to have my sidewalls rub the swingarm. I wonder why Yamaha decided to go with 160 I mean my friends 2007 FZ6 has a 180. Why the change? :banghead:

Rat

I wonder why Yamaha decided to go with 160 I mean my friends 2007 FZ6 has a 180. Why the change? :banghead:
'6R was designed for the street. Fat rear tire means less handling (more difficult steering) - perhaps that's why they use 160.

Marthy

World Most Bad A$$ 6R
Elite Member

krzysiopl

I've had my Michelin Pilot Power installed last week. I personally dont see any difference in the riding style...power decrease or anything like that...it does feel more sticky...which it is. Im going to post some pics perhaps tomorrow if i manage to find some time. I took pix before the tire got changed. Personally i think it looks better, seems wider.

Sander Koop

Elite Member