Any thoughts on a bigger rear tire

SpawnXX

Premium Member

aaronhaji

I have a 180 on my bike and love it I have a 2012 fzr the tire is a
Dunlop sport max q2 180/55/zr17

Last edited:

chago27

hello guys I have 2014 fz6r and upgraded the rear tire to 180/55/17 michelin 2ct i'm glad i did... overall more grip, better handling at corners and of curse looks better!! ;)

blkbrd

Elite Member

Marthy

World Most Bad A$$ 6R
Elite Member

Chucker

You're using the term "upgrade" very loosely here imho. A 180 on that width of rim is only asking for trouble, as I'm sure many here will agree. Welcome to the forum BTW and be careful with that thing! :)
I would bet that the bike will handle better with the stock size vs a 180 if both were the same tire, simply because it is engineered for the 160. A bigger tire throws the engineered geometry off.

15fz6rKaos

Im wanting to go with a 180 rear tire, any thoughts on on whether this will fit on the stock wheel or will there have to be some modding done to fit a r6 rim onto the bike. Just wanted to see everybodys thoughts. Thanks!!!
Go for it I went with a 180 rear and it fits perfectly rides and looks alot better.

martini

Im wanting to go with a 180 rear tire, any thoughts on on whether this will fit on the stock wheel or will there have to be some modding done to fit a r6 rim onto the bike. Just wanted to see everybodys thoughts. Thanks!!!
Hello, I have a Fz6r 2015. I did fit a 180 at first but wasn't too pleased with the looks of it, so I went and retrofit an R6 rear wheel. The R6 useas a thicker rear wheel axel than the Fz6r so you will need to have bushings so that you can use your Fz6r. Also, the rear sprocket on the R6 will not work with your Fz6r chain, so you will need to cut a portion of the R6 rear sprocket and weld it to your Fz6r Sprocket so that you can bolt it to your R6 wheel. And lastly you will keep the R6 rear wheel disk break. So you will need an R6 rear brake caliper bracket and a Fz6r caliper bracket. You make one bracket out of those two brackets and you a rerolling.

Bobholsopple

I had 160,170, and 180 rear. 170/60/17 is the best imo. 180 is not a safe option with our rim size. It was on my bike when I bought it. Looked weird and deformed.

Last edited: