Anti-Theft Alarm

Do you have an alarm system on your motorcycle?

• Yes

Votes: 34 13.2%
  • No...and have no desire to get one

Votes: 99 38.5%
  • No...and want to get one someday

Votes: 124 48.2%

• Total voters

Yone

How many of you riders out there have alarm systems on your bikes? I'm wondering if they're worth having.

And another thing; I've seen people leave their helmets tied to their bikes when they go inside a business. Is there a way to really secure them that well, or it is crazy to do that?

fz6rwolf

Have never alarmed a bike yet but thinking of it since I'm in the city. Right now bike is out of sight of general public but will be buying a house soon that doesn't have back of house parking and no garage and I'm in the city so maybe. As for helmet, sometimes I leave it on the bike, sometimes take it with me, depends on the area I'm in.

Bigevildoer

I've got a Gorilla alarm on my bike.
My neighbourhood is plagued with an infestation of children, which don't seem to have the kind of respect for other people's property that I was raised with.

Just last night I had to leave my bike on the street in from of my house for about 10 minutes (parking spaces were full so I couldn't put it in the garage without moving the vehicles) and had to go to the bathroom really badly... Needless to say, in the 10 minutes of clothing changes and "personal adjustments" my alarm was going off because kids were gathered around squeezing levers, pushing on the rear brake pedal (guessing that's what set off the alarm).

Amusing watching them scatter like cockroaches in a bright light though... :)

Later!

99vengeur

Administrator
Staff member
I don't currently have an alarm on my bike, but I am considering one since the hospital I work in is located in one of the worst neighborhoods in the city.

I really like the idea of having a disc lock alarm. They lock around the disc so the bike can't be rolled, but they also have motion and shock sensors that sound an alarm if someone does try to move the bike. It's like two security features in one.

XENA Intelligent Security: disc-lock alarms for motorcycles

stroke

thats why i have huge dogs so at least my bike is safe at the crib. but at other places i dunno i guess i just risk it

xplodnstar

I got a Gorilla for a really good price on eBay. The motorcycle parking at my office is visible to passing traffic and I don't want to take the chance. Especially since it's a new bike and thieves haven't seen too many yet, it catches their eye.

I may never need it, but at least I feel better.

cbzdel

I had an audiovox all in 1 unit car alarm on my honda ruckus.. It worked good, I paid like $40 from autozone.. But after about 6 months it started acting up and having alot of false alarms..

demon408

if they want it bad enough

i dont think it will help if they want it bad enough they will get it. plus isnt like 60% of crime done by someone you know? thats why i have gieco. let them have it, ill get a new one...

spacemonkey

the only place I leave it outside are at work on the walkway next to all the waiters from work, or a parking spot I can see it from when i go in someplace,:Flip: and I always take my helmet, kinda have a fear of being stuck someplace with no helmet. Otherwise I'm in the canyons not leaving it alone:D way too addicting.

GoGreen09

I spoke to a friend yesterday who doubles as the repo man at night... he was able to grab a GSXR with a Xena lock on it. The alarm went off, but all they had to do was lift the front wheel and they were able to lift it on to the bed of their truck.

I might have to look at the cable + lock solution instead.

Roaddawg

I have a disc lock I use when I park it on the street. I try to park near other bikes with the theory that mine will take more work to steal in hopes they move onto the next bike. My fear is some jack-off clipping the front wheel, knocking it over....

PVD_FZ6R

I'm rarely leaving it in public so it's not a huge issue for me but if someone wants it bad enough - it's gone. Like others have said - that's what insurance is for.

Craxican

I don't have an alarm...but I have Guidepoint...which is like Lojack...so if they steal it...they better be able to get it into over seas within a few short hours...as for my helmet, sometimes I leave it...sometimes I don't...haven't had a reason to REALLY lock it up...and i noticed a lot of people around here leave it...

fstrthan_uthink

i dont think it will help if they want it bad enough they will get it. plus isnt like 60% of crime done by someone you know? thats why i have gieco. let them have it, ill get a new one...
Really? Do you have a car insured with them as well? 'cause I got a quote and it was like 4 grand or something ridiculous, Progressive quoted me $1700 for 12 months with full coverage...needless to say I'm likely purchasing a policy soon.

JohnTC40

If you want to lock up your helmet when you're away from your bike, you might want to consider the Helmet Guardian I've used several versions of it on my bikes for a number of years. It's available from Twisted Throttle or from Lockitt.com. The latter has a number of helmet locking options in addition to the Helmet Guardian.

toastmaster

disc locks

A word of caution against disc locks--if you forget about it and try to ride off without taking it off, you might end up damaging your rotor and end up paying a few hundred in repairs.

My friend used a disc look (I think a bicycle one) on his CBR, and didn't have anything to remind him that it was on. We went riding one night, and he tried to ride off without taking it off. Each successive time messes up the rotor warps it even more, so this time, his brakes were no longer working.

To top it off, he called over a tow truck, which I guess uses two nooses tied around certain points on the bike's frame, and raised on the normal boom. Unfortunately, one of the rachets in the boom slipped, quickly dropping the rear of the bike a few feet. Even more unfortunately, the noose around the front of the bike stayed put, so the noose ended up breaking off the windshield and cracking the fairing...

So yes, after watching this first hand, I am never going to use disc locks. That's why I have a gorilla alarm on my bike :)

The bike comes with a wire you connect to a rod under the rear seat for securing a helmet. Its in the OM. They could clip the wire though, so I guess depends.

StarlessDark

I use a gun lock that I got with one of my auto pistols its a steel cable wrapped in a steel flex band with a plastic outer layer to keep the pistol slide and frame from getting damaged.

It's a bit bulky but you can still lock the seat, or use the passenger hand grips. It takes a bit more time to cut than the cable that comes in the tool kit, and it does require you to carry another key.

Most gun shops carry them, and their not very expensive usually under ten bucks.

OK I admit I have the el chepo ebay motorcycle alarm for $5.

I have it hooked up under the seat and wired to my battery maintainer connection. As it's winter here alarm is off and my maintainer is on.

It's pretty crap not that sensitive. Some times I nudge the bike and doesn't go off. Sometimes very sensitive. I may try to mount it bettter and wire a fuse to it.

Sound is OK as I can hear the alarm when inside my house.

It does make the cherp sound when I park the bike somewhere so it gives the illusion that it has a good alarm.

I don't have the need for a good alarm and didn't want to spend alot so I took a chance with Made in China.

Just my contribution to the forum..............................

Also I don't recommend this alarm.