Anti-Theft Alarm

Do you have an alarm system on your motorcycle?

• Yes

Votes: 34 13.2%
  • No...and have no desire to get one

Votes: 99 38.5%
  • No...and want to get one someday

Votes: 124 48.2%

• Total voters

Spunky99

The most important thing is that it works consistently and does not go off false.
The Toyota Tacoma that likes to park in front of my apartment goes off when the 65' Mustang gooses it down the street. The alarm is set so sensitive that the rumble of the exhaust sets it off. I wonder how he will like it when I squirt a whole bottle of skunk oil in his truck. Dumba$$ leaves his rear windows open as a challenge to someone to try and break into his truck.
Payback for all the after 10:00 PM false alarms that happen every night and him taking 2 or 3 minutes to turn it off.

MikeN02

The most important thing is that it works consistently and does not go off false.
The Toyota Tacoma that likes to park in front of my apartment goes off when the 65' Mustang gooses it down the street. The alarm is set so sensitive that the rumble of the exhaust sets it off. I wonder how he will like it when I squirt a whole bottle of skunk oil in his truck. Dumba$$ leaves his rear windows open as a challenge to someone to try and break into his truck.
Payback for all the after 10:00 PM false alarms that happen every night and him taking 2 or 3 minutes to turn it off.
It is a bit sensitive depending on where you mount it. I've had it go off when it rains, when harley riders go past, and sometimes when people bump into it not hard.

redwing-2001

That's when you respond with "It doesn't matter who the F^(k it belongs to, it's not yours is it?"

A guy at work sat on my bike and when I came up to him the conversation went like this:

me: are you sucking my D!(k tonite?
him: what?
me: you must be volunteering if you're stupid enough to sit on my bike
him: you must be talking about your boyfriend or something I ain't like that

he didn't get the hint obviously, so I made a point that at the end of his shift I was having a discussion with other employees while I was sitting on the hood of his truck. He tried to cop an attitude and that's when I clued him in on his dumbassity.
:D Dumbassity - now in my vocabulary.
I use a small half cover when I am parked at work. It keeps the rif-raff off and protects against the sun.

MikeN02

Friend's bike got hit at his girlfriend's apartment complex (ZX6-R 636). They picked it back up and parked it two spaces over.

Really messed up people in this world, though I did post it in this thread because I wonder if I had enough time to see/run down if they hit my bike and my alarm went off.

People would hear it see people running away and I could possibly chase them while calling the police?

Spunky99

My warning alarm goes off when the cruiser starts his extra loud Harley next to me, not the main alarm. Also when people walk by they sometimes bump the mirrors and the warning goes off. A hard hit or sitting the bike upright will cause it to go off.
Since I park where I can stand up at my desk to see it, I'm not worried.

MikeN02

My warning alarm goes off when the cruiser starts his extra loud Harley next to me, not the main alarm. Also when people walk by they sometimes bump the mirrors and the warning goes off. A hard hit or sitting the bike upright will cause it to go off.
Since I park where I can stand up at my desk to see it, I'm not worried.
I haven't been using my alarm a whole lot, mainly because I'm near my bike. But when I park far away I use it (like the gym or shopping). My alarm goes off to Harley's too. I like it when it goes off when people bump into my bike too, that's what it's ment for. If people aren't careful they could've knocked it down instead of just a bump.

Someone could stab a hole in your seat or so too if you didn't have an alarm.

Stephenfz6r

I've got a Gorilla alarm on my bike.
My neighbourhood is plagued with an infestation of children, which don't seem to have the kind of respect for other people's property that I was raised with.

Just last night I had to leave my bike on the street in from of my house for about 10 minutes (parking spaces were full so I couldn't put it in the garage without moving the vehicles) and had to go to the bathroom really badly... Needless to say, in the 10 minutes of clothing changes and "personal adjustments" my alarm was going off because kids were gathered around squeezing levers, pushing on the rear brake pedal (guessing that's what set off the alarm).

Amusing watching them scatter like cockroaches in a bright light though... :)

Later!
Apparently the guy:cool: who lives at my house has such a bad reputation that the kids won't go near the the motorcycle for fear of being turned into tent pegs.:eek:

motoneta123

A word of caution against disc locks--if you forget about it and try to ride off without taking it off, you might end up damaging your rotor and end up paying a few hundred in repairs.

My friend used a disc look (I think a bicycle one) on his CBR, and didn't have anything to remind him that it was on. We went riding one night, and he tried to ride off without taking it off. Each successive time messes up the rotor warps it even more, so this time, his brakes were no longer working.

To top it off, he called over a tow truck, which I guess uses two nooses tied around certain points on the bike's frame, and raised on the normal boom. Unfortunately, one of the rachets in the boom slipped, quickly dropping the rear of the bike a few feet. Even more unfortunately, the noose around the front of the bike stayed put, so the noose ended up breaking off the windshield and cracking the fairing...
So yes, after watching this first hand, I am never going to use disc locks. That's why I have a gorilla alarm on my bike :)
I dont use disk locks anymore (bad pelvis memories, ha ha) but some people do so this may help, the safest way to use them (of course learned too late): a piece of electric tape on the lock key hole (so you need to remove the tape to open it) as you remove the tape from the lock stick the tape over your ignition, when you get back must take it off to insert your key in the ignition wich i hope will remind you of the lock

spider2k

Elite Member

behindXgrnXeyes

good idea. maybe a powerful little round magnet instead? less messy ;)
They have those orange "disk lock reminder" things now....works great...it loops around ur handbars and yeah...its bright ass orange and you dont just over look that

I have the Xena Disk Break Alarm...3D motion senors and protection against everything even spray attacks to it...things a beast, helps with my peace of mind

MikeN02

Those disk alarm doesn't protect my worst fear. They just lift the bike up into a truck or van and drive away. That's what they did to my friend's bike but luckily he recovered it in a city away.

Lojack is great, and I'm surprised it's only a one time payment. the bad thing I have to say is it's reallly sensitive, we were looking at the bike and he left his keys inside the house. Touched it and he received a call, email, text all at the same time.

AND it drains the crap out of the bike's battery, not sure if it's normal.

behindXgrnXeyes

I agree lojack is a better (more expensive option)

but these new disk break lock, like mine, will go off at ANY movement..up down left right that bike makes while on and keep going off for 15 minutes intrivals at 120 decibls...you just gotta HOPE that is someone hears that blaring in the back of a truck or under a tarp, they assume the obvious

Marthy

World Most Bad A$$ 6R
Elite Member

MikeN02

I agree lojack is a better (more expensive option)

but these new disk break lock, like mine, will go off at ANY movement..up down left right that bike makes while on and keep going off for 15 minutes intrivals at 120 decibls...you just gotta HOPE that is someone hears that blaring in the back of a truck or under a tarp, they assume the obvious
Wait a minute. There are alarm disc locks now? I'd get that as well as my alarm system!

jgangoo

good old chain and lock

How many of you riders out there have alarm systems on your bikes? I'm wondering if they're worth having.

And another thing; I've seen people leave their helmets tied to their bikes when they go inside a business. Is there a way to really secure them that well, or it is crazy to do that?
Usually I park my bike in a car port (no locked door or walls, just a roof) in my house. So I bought a chain and lock for $100 and pinned it to one of the iron support bar of the car port.

A disk brake lock system is ineffective in my case as robbers can take it on a pickup or van.

I usually don't go to ghost towns so I dont worry about road side parking.