aftermarket horn?

richierich781

Has anyone have a recommendation for a loud aftermarket replacement horn? My reason for this is a cager almost ran me into the freeway divider yesterday. She switched lanes like I didn't exist. I was on the left lane and she was on the right.She didn't signal, no head check, and talking on the cell. I was honking my horn as soon a soon as I noticed her starting to drift into my lane. She was appx 2/3 of a car length ahead of me. I swerved to the left and hit my brakes while honking my horn at the same. She didn't look until I was already on the shoulder about a foot away from the divider. I just couldn't believe she didnt hear the horn. Any recommendations on a louder replacement horn? Thx in advance.

RockZooky

I want to do the same thing. I was thinking of just going to a ford dealership getting the same horn that i have in my truck.

Uno979

Thuper Moderator
Premium Member

owldaddy

I put one of these on my BMW, Horn, Stebel TM 80 Magnum Single Note @ Scooterworks This one is 136db
it is real loud. It isn't as loud as the Nautilus (139db air horn), but space is usually an issue with motorcycles, and the Magnum will fit on most of them. If you can find the room they don't get much louder then this guy. Horn, Stebel Compact Nautilus Twin Air @ Scooterworks I'll be buying a Magnum for mine. You will need to run a dedicated power supply in conjunction with a relay. The stock wiring isn't up to the task.

Spunky99

I put one of these on my BMW, Horn, Stebel TM 80 Magnum Single Note @ Scooterworks This one is 136db
it is real loud. It isn't as loud as the Nautilus (139db air horn), but space is usually an issue with motorcycles, and the Magnum will fit on most of them. If you can find the room they don't get much louder then this guy. Horn, Stebel Compact Nautilus Twin Air @ Scooterworks I'll be buying a Magnum for mine. You will need to run a dedicated power supply in conjunction with a relay. The stock wiring isn't up to the task.
I just installed this bad boy into my bike. It uses the stock mount and fits perfectly. You will have to close up the connectors some as the spades are a little thinner than the stock horn's.
Those specs are misleading tho. At 12v it's only 112 db. That 136db rating is at 24v. Same for the Nautilus, it's only 115 db at 12V.
Louder by a huge margin over the stock horn tho and worth it.

Mart Man FZ6R

I just installed this bad boy into my bike. It uses the stock mount and fits perfectly. You will have to close up the connectors some as the spades are a little thinner than the stock horn's.
Those specs are misleading tho. At 12v it's only 112 db. That 136db rating is at 24v. Same for the Nautilus, it's only 115 db at 12V.
Louder by a huge margin over the stock horn tho and worth it.
Since your quote lists 2 horns, did you install the Magnum or the Nautlis? I would be looking for the easiest install.

TIA

Spunky99

Since your quote lists 2 horns, did you install the Magnum or the Nautlis? I would be looking for the easiest install.

TIA
I installed the Magnum.
It is loud as heck.

Last edited:

owldaddy

I did install the Magnum on my BMW, much louder then stock. It is smaller then the Nautilus and space was a problem on the BMW. On the 6R I installed the Nautilus. Space was almost a problem. It did fit in the location stuna placed his in (right side next the the steering head) placement is critical since it JUST fits under the fairing, and will interfere with the steering if not placed just right. What a hassle to install, but worth the effort after I heard how loud it was. That thing will make your presence known (as will the Magnum). Since I believe the Magnum will fit in the stock horn location, I would recommend that to anyone looking to replace the wimpy stock horn with the least amount of headache. The Stebel horns come with a relay, but you will have to get an inline fuse and wire rated to carry a 30 amp load for the Nautilus, or 15 amp for the Magnum. The stock horn wiring was used to energize the relay. Either horn is a good choice, they make the stock horn seem like a toy (and in fact it is). The cagers will wake up and take notice.

Last edited:

Spunky99

I did install the Magnum on my BMW, much louder then stock. It is smaller then the Nautilus and space was a problem on the BMW. On the 6R I installed the Nautilus. Space was almost a problem. It did fit in the location stuna placed his in (right side next the the steering head) placement is critical since it JUST fits under the fairing, and will interfere with the steering if not placed just right. What a hassle to install, but worth the effort after I heard how loud it was. That thing will make your presence known (as will the Magnum). Since I believe the Magnum will fit in the stock horn location, I would recommend that to anyone looking to replace the wimpy stock horn with the least amount of headache. The Stebel horns come with a relay, but you will have to get an inline fuse and wire rated to carry a 30 amp load. The stock horn wiring was used to energize the relay. Either horn is a good choice, they make the stock horn seem like a toy (and in fact it is). The cagers will wake up and take notice.
Just a minor note. The Natilus requires and comes with the relay. It must be mounted with correct orientation and will not mount in the stock mount.
The Magnum is a bolt on replacement and does not come with or need a relay. Same mount without any modification or wiring changes. Just squeeze the connectors to work with the thinner spades. It is a 5 minute job...

owldaddy

Right you are Spunky99, if you use only one Magnum horn, you can get away with using the stock wiring. I should have stated that the Magnum is sold 2 ways. You can buy a single horn, or a pair of horns (one high tone, one low tone). These horns draw about 6 amps each. Using the single horn at 6 amps should not tax the stock wiring. If you buy the pair of horns, they do come with a relay, and the stock wiring would not be able to handle the load. Oddly enough, the pair of horns is about the same price as buying a single horn. Might be a good idea for those who are thinking of buying and using only 1 horn, to partner up to buy the pair, and share the cost savings. Up to you who gets the extra relay lol. The Nautilus has to power an air compressor, so it draws a lot more power, no chance of using the stock wiring for that horn. Thanks to Spanky99 for causing me to engage my brain to make things more clear. I wouldn't use the stock horn on a bicycle, it is that weak.:cool:

Spunky99

As far as the specs go, 6A on the Magnum 80 at 12v produces 112 db but the dual Magnum 80 system uses 12A and only produces 115 db.
You get a cool dual tone but it's not much louder.

To put the current usage into perspective, 12 X 6A = 72 watts

pyrocpu

I'm more looking into a PnP solution.

I did have the Nautilus horn as standard equipment on the scooter I just sold (Genuine Scooter Co: Buddy Black Jack), and it was hella loud. However, the reviews on webbikeworld seem to indicate that the Stebel horns aren't very reliable.

If the Magnum is a PnP solution, then I might try it anyway. Also, FWIW, although bikes/cars (for the most part) have a 12V electrical system, most put out just a shade over 14V when the motor's running. As such, the horns could *possibly* be a bit louder than the SPL claimed @ 12V...

Otherwise, I was thinking of a junked horn from a Chevy Tahoe or something would be useful. People seem to mind deeper tones more than the cartoonish "eepeep!" from our OEM horns!

owldaddy

I didn't read the web bike world review till after I bought my horn. I usually check them out first, since they do a good job with reviews. The example of the Nautilus they had didn't work right out of the box. Mine is working, and I'm keeping my fingers crossed it continues, because it is loud. I have had the Magnum for about 4 years, and it has been fine. No problems.

Spunky99

My Magnum worked brilliantly for me today.
I motored up to the front in between cars in a 3 lane highway intersecting another 3 lane highway. I split #1 and #2. The light turned green for me and I started across the intersection and a cager decided it was OK to blow the red light and make an illegal right turn. No problem had he stayed in the far right lane #3 but nooo..he has to veer across into the #2 lane where I am now passing his old wreck of a car. As I started into the #1 lane which was open because I was ahead of the traffic I hit the Magnum alongside him with a long beep.
Scared him witless and he almost hit the curb as he pulled to the right into the #3 lane.
He saw me enter the intersection because I saw him look. He just figured I'm a bike so F@ck me....He made that right turn knowing I was going to be alongside him as he changed lanes.
If I'd hit the throttle really hard on takeoff, I might not have had time to swerve into the other lane. I watch these cagers like a hawk because if I don't it's my a$$ and them saying I came outta nowhere....

I love my loud horn....I wish it was louder.....

jrv81

Has anyone have a recommendation for a loud aftermarket replacement horn? My reason for this is a cager almost ran me into the freeway divider yesterday. She switched lanes like I didn't exist. I was on the left lane and she was on the right.She didn't signal, no head check, and talking on the cell. I was honking my horn as soon a soon as I noticed her starting to drift into my lane. She was appx 2/3 of a car length ahead of me. I swerved to the left and hit my brakes while honking my horn at the same. She didn't look until I was already on the shoulder about a foot away from the divider. I just couldn't believe she didnt hear the horn. Any recommendations on a louder replacement horn? Thx in advance.
happened to me once too...except wasnt on the phone...the lady looked down the street my way as i drove up and never saw me as if i was invisible...by the time she saw me...i was about 4 feet from her front fender and she womped on her brakes...she scraed both of us....i honked, flashed, waved...NOTHING! I told someone who has been riding for 12 years about this and said it happens more often than I think...Anyway, glad you started this post. I will check this out for myself as well.

Yone