Adjusting Fuel using the CO adjustment?

ajiribarren

Has anyone tried to modify the fuel delivery using the CO adjustments through the dash?

I had the idea reading this post in the FZ6 forum : Dyno tune with CO adjustment Leo Vince - Page 6 - Yamaha FZ6 Forums - International FZ6 Motorcycle Community Forum

In summary (thanks to krid80 from the FZ6 forum)

"Hold both buttons with the key turned off, count to three then turn the key on but keep holding those buttons until you see "di" on the screen. Next, press select and see if "CO" is displayed. If so, you have it all ready to go! Once"CO" is displayed, press both buttons and hold until the display reads "C1 0". To get in to modify settings (or to write down your factory settings) hold both buttons again. As it goes into adjustment mode you may hear a "click" come from the throttle body area (normal). This displayed number may be anything but will be in this format "C1 14" although your number will likely not be 14. In "C1" or "C2" adjustment mode, select will raise the number displayed (adding fuel) while reset will lower the number (removing fuel).

Once you are done with "C1" press both buttons to back out to where it will display "C1 0" then press select to switch to "C2 0". Again, press and hold both buttons until you see "C2 26" (or whatever your preset number may be). As before, select will raise the number while reset will lower.

To save your settings, press and hold both buttons (two to three times) until you are back out to the display only showing "CO" (the very first screen) then turn the key off."

I went and did it on my bike, but even adding +25 on each C1 and C2, I couldnt feel much of a difference? I felt the bike idled a little bit higher and not as rough as before, but popping was still there, and without a dyno I couldnt tell.

Just wondering is someone else here has tinkered with this

Cheers

jcbrown630

Directly From the R6 OEM MANUAL for assembling the bikes

Before changing the settings, check the engine for its characteristics in normal
It is recommended that the settings be checked with an A/F measuring instrument.
Guidelines for setting
• Code C1: At 25% or less of throttle opening and at 3000 rpm or less of engine
This affects the idling stability and the feeling experienced during
Too rich an air-fuel mixture may foul the spark plugs.
• Code C2: At 25% or less of throttle opening and at 3000 rpm or more
speed:
This affects the feeling experienced during engine braking and
throttle opening.
Make a change of 2 to 5% at a time while checking for any
changes.
• Code C3: At 25% to 90% of throttle opening:
This affects the feeling experienced at half throttle opening.
Make a change of 2 to 5% at a time and check for any resulting changes.
• Code C4: At 90% or more of throttle opening:
This affects the feeling experienced at full throttle.
Adjustment to too lean a mixture will lead to engine breakdown.
Adjustment by checking the A/F is recommended.
In particular, to adjust on the leaner side, make a change of 1
time while checking for the result. 12 to 13 is a targeted A/F.

Page 29 of the Book . It's for 03' R6 which is our bike's motor
http://www.cappojim.com/uploads/how_to/fuel_map/04R6GB.pdf

ajiribarren

So basically, this could be the poor man's way to adjust fuel/air ratio without a PowerCommander or Juicebox?

Can anyone in the US access the CO settings through their dash without having to access the ECU harness and ground a pin? I know I can access the settings right away (Euro spec XJ6), but I'm a total noob regarding this matter.

And, we only have C1 and C2 to play with, the guys in the FZ6 forums raved about how much smoother and better the bike felt adjusting +20, +25, even +35 on this settings. A guy even had it dyno and shows a 7 hp increase over stock after installing aftermarket pipes.

I searched in the FZ6 shop manual, and it says is for adjusting the Exhaust Gas volume, does this make any sense? anyone has the FZ6R shop manual?

Cheers.

Marthy

World Most Bad A$$ 6R
Elite Member

jcbrown630

I just did and I'm getting d:01 16, d:03 101, d:05 102, d:06 104, d:07 0, d:08 .6... doesn't seams right? Look like sensor check mode. d:09 look like the battery, it was flicking 11.8-11.7. But maybe I'm wrong. Anybody with here with a shop manual? Maybe I need to ground the plug to get in the C's?
Correct. Any us bike will have to have the connector with the wire grounded to reach the CO adjustments. I will be doing mine tonight.

jcbrown630

Hmmm my 09 FZ6R doesn't have the wire to ground that was shown in the Fz6 forum. Apparently the us "R" doesn't get the faux JuiceBox mod unless someone knows another way to get to the CO adjustments. FUG!

ajiribarren

:confused::confused::confused::confused:

aaaand still :confused:
I'll try to clarify... There's a function within the Yamaha's ECU that let's you add or substract fuel delivered to the engine. In other words, a fuel management system ala Juicebox. It only let's you modify two parameters C1 and C2, and the experience in other motorcycles (i.e. FZ6, R6) has been very positive (increased HP, less poping with aftermarket exhausts)

Apparently this tunning menu is locked within the US bikes, but is readibly available with Euro Spec and other countries. There's one member in the FZ6 forum that did a how-to on what pin in the ECU harness to ground to the chasis in order to unlock this menu from the diagnostics screen in the dash.

I went and tried it in my XJ6, and in fact I could access that fuel menu , and fiddled around with it a bit, first with little increments and now with big incrments and In my experience my bike iddles a lot better and throttle seems a little more responsive.

I posted this here to know If these adjustments were available to the FZ6R and If anyone hada any success with them.

Cheers

jcbrown630

Yes it worked on the FZ6 US spec. but when i looked at my harness the same connector has no conductor at the pin location on the connector pictured in the how to.

ajiribarren

Yes it worked on the FZ6 US spec. but when i looked at my harness the same connector has no conductor at the pin location on the connector pictured in the how to.
That sucks... there must be a way of unlocking it, maybe if someone had the workshop manual the wiring diagram could tell which pin to ground.

I made a small video of what you should be seeing if the menu was unlocked in the FZ6R. Maybe this can help other XJ6 as mine.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kZUErHDH-VY]YouTube - Co Adjustment XJ6[/ame]

stevet

Marthy did you ever make progress on adjusting the CO on our Fz6R's? It seems strange there wouldn't be a way to do this.

JSP

Super Moderator
Hmm... gonna see this weekend if I can find something like this on my R6... would be sweet. I have the shop manual for the R6 but have not really looked through it.

Marthy

World Most Bad A$$ 6R
Elite Member
Y

yellowfz

I tried the hold both buttons and turn key on (hold both for 10-15 seconds) , all that came up was "d-x" codes 1-70.
So what do those do ?

Last edited by a moderator:

Marthy

World Most Bad A$$ 6R
Elite Member

ajiribarren

Yeah, the dx codes are diagnostic codes.

If you see my video, what you "should" see if you are able to unlock the function, is that by pressing "Select", "Co" appears in the dash, and from there you could be able to change the C1 and C2 values.

What they do? Actually, I'm not so sure, so I was expecting someone with more expertise than me to be able to try it. I've played around with the numbers, but any conclusion seems to be more subjective than something else and going to a dyno is too costly here.

Y

yellowfz

Yeah, the dx codes are diagnostic codes.

If you see my video, what you "should" see if you are able to unlock the function, is that by pressing "Select", "Co" appears in the dash, and from there you could be able to change the C1 and C2 values.

What they do? Actually, I'm not so sure, so I was expecting someone with more expertise than me to be able to try it. I've played around with the numbers, but any conclusion seems to be more subjective than something else and going to a dyno is too costly here.
Yeah watched it , sucks we can't access this yet , but I have faith that someone can figure out a way to bypass the roadblock . ;)

Y

yellowfz

Being able to access the ECU fully , be able to map each section (air , fuel , spark etc....) and be able to make changes to those MAPs would be nice .
Just a thought or dream .

klipnov

Sorry for reviving an old thread

I tried this on my XJ6 Diversion. I do notice a difference although not a lot.

My stock settings Co1 +6 and Co2 +5

Now Co1 +27 and Co2 +26

I think that the engine ran smoother. But after researching around the FZ6 and R6 forums I still don't know what exactly it changes. Some threads have other opinions. Some say fuel mix, some air mix and some say it controls the AIS..:confused:

Bike running lean + Co2 adjustment = smoother ---> increased fuel mix???

Btw, I'm using a modded exhaust, and stock airfilter/box.

Anybody else tried this adjustment?