Actually let someone else ride my bike...

JSP

Super Moderator
Because they let me ride their R1!!! :thumbup:

Went out with 2 guys today just to mess around on some back roads for a little bit.

He waves me over to pull over, and im not sure what he was doing. Gets off his bike and tells me "ride that one". I was kinda shocked for a sec but jumped right on it.

Lets see here...

Impressions.... OH MY F*%$#@! GOD! That thing is a damn rocket ship when you hit 12-14k rpm! I mean, scary warp speed fast! I about ripped my mouth open because I was grinning so much, haha. I always wondered how it compared (speed/power wise) and it just doesnt. Its unbelievable how fast that thing moves.

He rode my bike. Now here is where it gets fun. We hit some twisties. He smoked me on MY bike while I was on his. I've always had it in my head that I might need a faster bike to keep up with some of these guys. I couldnt keep up with a FZ6R on an R1. So that actually made me really happy and gave me a MUCH better appreciation for our bikes!

He really liked the 6R. Said that its a very fun bike. He liked how easy and effortless it was to just dip into a corner. While I was on the R1 it felt a lot harder to get it to lean over into the corners. He also said how great it was that his back and hands felt much better :D

He let me ride it for almost an hour. Very cool! So I am definitely keeping the 6R for quite a while now. It handles the corners great. Just need to keep practicing on it.

:thumbup:

rjsantana20

This is a great story. Practice make for an upgrade when ready.

Rookasaki

Cool story. Thanks for sharing. I would die if I got an R1. the 6R is a lot more forgiving.

Last edited:

2w05thletes

And this guy was a complete stranger?! Super big time!

JonKerr

Elite Member

Detrich

So all things being equal, would u guys say that the riding position on the R1 was too uncomfortable? I know I'd have a problem just with the height of the R6 & R1 cuz I'm only 5'6". :(. Wish I was taller...

JSP

Super Moderator
And this guy was a complete stranger?! Super big time!
No. I've been riding with him for the last couple months. He is actually a Sheriff's deputy. (always good to have along when riding :D)

Awesome guy.

We had ridden for a few hours already today before he let me ride it. Within seconds of getting on it, my back and hands started to hurt more than they already were. It was quite a bit uncomfortable. I got used to it a little more after repositioning myself, but it was much more uncomfortable than the 6R. I think if I had one though, I may get used to the positioning maybe? Not sure. They seem to handle them for 8 hours of riding... Though they do look uncomfortable after a while on them.

But damn is that thing just fast as all hell.

JonKerr

Elite Member

ME_with_a_B

That's a cool story, jspansel!

I've only let 2 other people ride my bike. One was the first day I had it home -- a rider/friend came over to follow me down the streets (to make sure I didn't drop it/hurt myself) and said he liked how it wasn't too jumpy (he rides an FJR 1300). And the other is a buddy of mine from my riding club -- he took my bike for a spin after changing out the tires (to make sure the brakes were re-connected properly, and everything was tight & safe). When he pulled back into his driveway, he smiled and said "wow, this certainly is an underappreciated bike -- rides really nice!" I was really happy after hearing that :)

ksanbon

Thanks for sharing!

My daughter's boyfriend has an R1. He says it'll do wheelies in 5th gear; hasn't tried it in 6th. Scary!

TOMIK

Let my son ride my bike, he has a 09 R6 which he really digs it, ofcourse being 18yrs old who would'nt? but for me the r6 is very uncomfertable. he wanna ride my bike so he can get red of the chicken stripe, after riding he could'nt belive how easy and forgiven my bike was, he told me I should keep the bike and practice some twisties.

dart1963

Super Moderator
Elite Member