A genuine cautionary tale from Adventure Rider

Superzoom

Hello Friends,

I came across this posting on Adventure Rider, a forum I frequent as I love touring. The posting really shook me up, and it should shake up everyone who enjoys our two wheeled sport. It's about one young man's trip south on a KLR. It doesn't end well. You need to read the first thirteen pages to get the full story and the final ending.

I could editorialize and preach and philosophize based on what happened to the young man, but I think we should all be mature enough to come to our own conclusions.

All I would like to say to everyone is ride smart, ride safe, and realize that by riding a motorcycle, you are choosing a path of risk in exchange for freedom and happiness. Make sure that choice is worth it to you.

Take care, everyone.

Seattle to Argentina on a KLR650 - ADVrider

JSP

Super Moderator
Such a sad turn of events in his life... So very sorry to see that happen and then him losing the struggle with life. :(

yellowFZ6r

I dont have time here at work to read all of this, can someone please fill me in, in a nutshell?!?! Thanks!

toofless

I dont have time here at work to read all of this, can someone please fill me in, in a nutshell?!?! Thanks!
a guy named Clayton took off on a long motorcycle adventure from seattle to argentina...
updated his experiences along the way, sounds like a real cool guy...
gets to mexico, at some point is riding, sees a donkey on side of road, tries to go around it, donkey gets spooked, crashes bike... he breaks his back and is now paralyzed from chest down...
still updates thread occasionally, sounds at times very sad, and at others somewhat positive...
in the end a friend updates that he took his own life...
you have to read it to appreciate it...
tear jerker for sure...

Last edited:

Marthy

World Most Bad A$$ 6R
Elite Member

DragonBlu

At least he had an adventure of a lifetime before his misfortune. Speaking from the riders point of view here. As a long time horse and cattle owner and an even longer time bike rider,please slow down and give all four legged creatures a lot of room on the road. THEY ARE VERY UNPREDICTABLE. RIP Clayton.

CrazyCawi

holy shit that was alot of reading, It started off so amazing. RIP clayton, Im sorry the things you encountered in life, caused you to take your own. :'(

Superzoom

Thanks for reading the story, guys, and thanks for commenting. And thanks also for the summary, Toofless.

Three years ago, I hit a deer doing 100 kph in Alberta, and ended up with nothing more than a sore knee and some scuffed elbows and a gouge in my knee. The deer was killed instantly, and my bike was totalled. I was told many times I was lucky to be alive.

For about two days, I seriously considered giving up motorcycling for good. I was shaken, and I was in shock. But on the third day, I knew I would ride a motorcycle again some day. In the face of death, I realized that motorcycling meant that much to me. I now choose to face slippery roads, animals, idiot motorists and all the great unknowns because I love motorcycling that much.

Reading Clayton's story shook me once again. In a worst case scenario, what happened to Clayton could happen to me.

Regarding his suicide, I honestly don't know if that would be the route I would take. I like to think that I have an inner strength that will get me through anything, but...

Yet I'm still going to ride. Live to ride, ride to live and all that crap... for me, it's true in a way. Motorcycling is one of those things that makes life worth living. I've made my choice.

Please ride safe, everyone.

bigddy263

Sad

I have a friend that recently passed away in a car accident. Bad things are all around us, but I hope that we can all find purpose and appreciate the things that we have and can enjoy, even if misfortune finds us. Its a shame that he took his own life. RIP

CrazyCawi

RIP, sad sad story. Not letting the misses read this, she'll take my keys off me forever. Such a moving story
same here. She wanted to read and I said hey can you go grab something for me and then it was enough of a distraction when she came back she forgot she wanted to read it.

rjohnson5481

The last chapter is something else. Graphic to say the least.
I'm sure he's riding right now.

2wheelie

When you read something like this, it makes you think... maybe if he didn't do this or that he would avoid it... But "if" does not counts here. I think it's a destiny. Do what you love, keep positive attitude, try to enjoy life and the rest is not up to you.

b_who

Man my eyes got a little watery form reading the thread and his book.
such a heart retching story

RIP Calyton

See red

holy shit that was alot of reading, It started off so amazing. RIP clayton, Im sorry the things you encountered in life, caused you to take your own. :'(
Most of the posts in the riding reports are long. Thanks for posting this one. It is a different ball game when we ride this way. I have been on the advrider for a long time as I also ride for long hauls as well.

I had read that before, just haven't checked up on it in a while, just didn't know he took his life... Rip brother.

The type of riding we do it is more of a risk, putting miles under the bike by the thousands, and going across the country, or crossing continents, it is just more probable for us to be hurt, or worse.

Please ride safe. Keep your rubbers down.

CrazyCawi

see_red I didnt know you were into those things, whats the biggest trip you have taken?

leprecaun jon

ESTABLISHED RESIDENT
Elite Member
Last edited:

bigddy263

Most of the posts in the riding reports are long. Thanks for posting this one. It is a different ball game when we ride this way. I have been on the advrider for a long time as I also ride for long hauls as well.

I had read that before, just haven't checked up on it in a while, just didn't know he took his life... Rip brother.

The type of riding we do it is more of a risk, putting miles under the bike by the thousands, and going across the country, or crossing continents, it is just more probable for us to be hurt, or worse.

Please ride safe. Keep your rubbers down.
I don't know if it's more probable that you'll get hurt. I just think that it's more probable that you'll be on the road when it happens. Unless maybe you live in a rubber room. I say keep doing what you enjoy.