300 miles ride

ScottM

Chen:

You can get a tire plug kit a an auto parts store. It includes a reamer sort of a thing to ream out the nail hole and a soft plug with applicator. The plug bonds to the rubber in the tire. Some guys carry CO2 cartridges to refill the tire. I carry a small 6 or 7 inch long bicycle pump. I imagine a thousand strokes give or take should make it ridable.

I have never had to use it but I ride out in the boonies of Florida and being the cautious sort, I feel better having it. The plug kit and the pump fit under the back seat where the tool kit is.

Osoreru

Don't worry... your bike is going to outlast your a$$! Stop and stretch once in a while, drink and piss... enjoy the ride and take some pics for us.
Definitely what he said. I went on a 150 mile ride a couple weekends ago. We stopped every 30-50 miles just to stretch and maybe get a drink, and by the end of the day, I was still worn out. My bike is still completely stock, too, so it's completely doable. It just might not be the most comfortable thing ever.

Bloke

Definitely what he said. I went on a 150 mile ride a couple weekends ago. We stopped every 30-50 miles just to stretch and maybe get a drink, and by the end of the day, I was still worn out. My bike is still completely stock, too, so it's completely doable. It just might not be the most comfortable thing ever.
Wait what?

30-50 miles?

Are you made of girly girl pink fluffy stuff? :)

Man the hell up! The lot of you.

My sunday jaunts are 200miles plus, maybe 1 tea break for a bit of lunch.

Granted 200 miles of motorway is boring as hell, but it doesn't hurt not in the slightest, 200 miles of normal roads are a joy.

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Tapatalk

flyingminno

My Sunday rides are 300 mile rides round trips, and I've been able to get 500 mile days out of my butt! Stopping once every 160 miles at first to fill up then about every 70 miles to stretch at the end of the day. The bike is totally up for more, its the squishy bits (me) that limit it! If you are planning a long ride, I would recommend to carry some chain lube. Long rides tend to fling the lube off and wears the chain more if there isn't enough on to keep the plates and seals slick.

kchen

The 458 miles ride in 1 day

The moment I finished school for this quarter at UC Irvine, I hopped on the FZ-6R to Northern California from Irvine (Southern California). My end destination was the bay area. On the same day, I visited UC Berkeley to meet some friends. So the total miles of that day 458. I ran into no particular bike problem besides a speed ticketing for 101 mph on I-5, but that's another story for later.

Prepping the Bike
Changed oil to Rotella T6 5w-40 with KN-204 oil filter
Lube the chains with generic O-ring safe lube from O'Reillys
Pumped the tires to 35 front 38 back. (+2 PSI on both ends)
Put on Cramp Buster for "throttle control"

Prepping myself
Got 8 hrs of sleep.
Brought two bottled waters and bag of chips.
Wore Two layers of T-shirt and 1 layer of sweater . One sweat pants under my jeans

Gears
Shoe RF-1100 Helmet w/ tinted visor
Icon Stryker Motorcycle vest
Icon Stryker Knee Guards
Dainese Zen Leather Jacket w/ inner lining
Alpine Star Sp2 gloves

The overall temperature at the ride was around 50-68 F. Even with all my extra layers, it was still pretty cold especially my hands. My SP2 gloves didn't really help out.

MPG was roughly mid 40s even when I'm running 1 up Front Sprocket. I think I burned more gas keeping constant 80-90.

The Ride itself
The best part of the ride was when there were more than 2 lanes on the road. The worst part of ride was the damn 2 laner I-5 for 200 miles and that speeding ticket I got from the CHP. The 2 laner was a really straight road up North. It was gnarly and boring. I rode mostly tucked in because the wind at my speed kept pushing me back. After 200 miles on the bike, my inner thighs or crouch area became really sore. I took multiple breaks(probably around 5) for smoke breaks, and I filled up gas each break just in case. So i never worried about gas.

The ticket (The Rant)
Being dumb thinking because they're basically no cars on the I-5, I could speed a bit. I got radar-ed going 101 mph. So much for my clean driving record. I almost had 6 years with no traffic violations on my record except for a stop sign violation that got erased from attending traffic school. Note to other riders in California, Don't get caught going past 100 mph. I researched that it's a 2 point record and it cannot be erased through traffic school. I'm going to try to fight it saying that radar detectors can be + or - 2 mph off. Hopefully I can land in the under 100 mph category so i can take traffic school. After receiving the ticket, I started becoming paranoid and pissed off while riding. It really killed the mood.

Final thoughts,
I don't think I will ever do a long ride like that again. Well, I have to in order to get back to home. It's too boring and physically tiresome. In the end though, I finally can say I've ridden 458 miles in one day. One achievement point, YAY!

At the destination, I got to ride the R1. Now that was pretty fun, but scary in the sense that I'm 5'4" and I almost dropped the bike while walking a U-Turn.

Kevin

KeysRider3

Lots of flavors here

What's your purpose in taking a 300 mile trip? Just to ride 300 miles, or to see the sights and meet the people along the way? I've done 12 hour days for miles, but only because I was trying to make a deadline. What does it matter if you do 300 miles on a Sunday afternoon, or an entire weekend. It's still 300 miles. Your 6R is more than capable of going that distance and longer, but I think you'll enjoy the ride more, and have more to remember if you're willing to stop..., more.

KeysRider3

So, did you make the CHP catch up, or did you know when you got caught and slow down?
Good luck with the lower-than-100 plea!

roadrat

Thanks for the report and tips Kevin... since I live in San Diego, I really can only go North on long trips. East I'm in the Mojave Desert, West I'm in the ocean and South I have to contend with shitty roads and drug cartels. I have done two trips now with the 6r and I trailer through LA because I found that by the time I ride across LA lengthwise I'm freaking exhausted. Trailers are relatively cheap from Uhaul.

KeysRider3

I used to make the trip between 29 Palms and Vista, via Hemet and San Jacinto, and always enjoyed the roads whether I was on my bike (Honda CB450), or in my car (1969 Chevelle SS396). The High Desert had/has a lot to offer such as riding over to the Colorado River (Lake Havasu and the London Bridge) for an overnight, or just a day trip to Apple Valley, or Big Bear. Happy Trails!