300 miles ride

kchen

Has anyone taken their FZ on a long ride like 300 miles? I'm thinking about taking a ride from Southern California to Northern California which is around 350 miles in one day.

Do you guys think the FZ should be able to do it with no problems? I'll probably do an oil change before doing it.

Thanks,

Kevin

Has anyone taken their FZ on a long ride like 300 miles? I'm thinking about taking a ride from Southern California to Northern California which is around 350 miles in one day.

Do you guys think the FZ should be able to do it with no problems? I'll probably do an oil change before doing it.

Thanks,

Kevin

the 6R is more than capable. Allow plenty of time, stop frequently and walk around and stretch, drink plenty of water and eat a good breakfast. Most of all, enjoy the ride.

I took my FZ on longer rides then that. Spent 9 hours atop that bike a few times. Don't worry you'll be fine!

What you need..

Kevin--

Your bike can handle that with no problem.. BUT the question is can your BUTT????

3 things you need:

LD Underwear

Spencer seat

Bag Balm(the best ever)

Ride safe..

Worry less, ride more...

Sent from my LG-P925 using Tapatalk

I'd have to add: Don't over think it. Just do it. I'd recommend getting a throttle rocker or cramp buster to give your right hand some relief.

Budget more time than you think you'll need (which probably means the whole day for 300 miles). Take your time, stop every hour (or more), take pictures, stop for lunch and coffee.

The bike can do it. You can do it. Just dress appropriately. Bungee a backpack onto the rear seat for misc stuff.

Sure you can.

Couple of suggestions: Try to remember to move around on the seat a lot. Sitting still for long periods invites the dreaded "ass pain". Also in my experience, taking an Aleve (or any kind of anti inflammatory) before you start and at mid day helps a lot.

Something to hold the throttle open so you can shake the blood back into your right hand is very important to me.

Also the days are shorter now so I would start early to avoid riding in the dark if possible.

I have taken my 6R on ten trips that were 300 miles or longer. The bike will handle the trip just fine. Besides needing gas, the bike needs very little attention during the trip. However, you will need to really clean it when you get back.

But you need to be prepared to be soar if you haven't done this type of trip before. Also, consider the type of weather you are going to be riding in and also be aware that the weather may not be the same 200 miles away. Pack and plan accordingly.

I wish you luck and PM me if you need any help

Rode mine from Martinsville In to Robbinsville NC. twice last summer and fall. About an 8 1/2 hour trip. Stock seat, stock windshield and 64 year old butt.

Really not that bad a ride with half back roads and half interstate.

Handles it all like a champ and it loves Deals Gap.

Bill

been up to 800 miles in a single day run, hell, it's 300 plus to get bread from my house to gaena il. and back. I get bread for breakfast since my wife likes it. lunch I go to wis. a place called apple holler, that's another 200 miles, then for dinner I like a place in Michingan that has a winery attached. lol! num nums for a sat.

some of my friends rode all the way from Los Angeles up to Monterey to watch MotoGP at Laguna Seca over the summer... in a big group with everyone riding cautiously and good weather, it seemed like they had a very safe and very fun time. *** personally, i'm not really into long rides- tho i used to do a few hundred miles in a day when i rode with a riding group... but, extended freeway riding is kinda boring to me. so, i prefer just to ride freeways to get to the fun roads. and, if they are too far, then i've been just postponing going... <lol> there are plenty of fun local canyons around Los Angeles to get your fix. :) *** for safety reasons, for long trips i always cage it. being on 2 wheels for that long a time is just not worth the risks to me...

i've done it numerous times on the 6r with the stock seat. and that was on a lot of straight roads and interstate (boring ride).

I've even done a 300 mile ride on the daytona with a seat that feels like a 2'x4'. luckily a tank of gas doesn't last as long in it as it did in the 6r. :D

Thanks for the suggestions, I'm planning to do this trip when school's out for winter break.

I hope it will be fun.

The longest I've ridden was to San Diego from the OC which was roughly 100 miles (1 hr) one way with Ninja 250.

-Kevin

Thanks for the suggestions, I'm planning to do this trip when school's out for winter break.

I hope it will be fun.

The longest I've ridden was to San Diego from the OC which was roughly 100 miles (1 hr) one way with Ninja 250.

-Kevin

pictures and your observations and tips when you get back, please.

I took my 6r from ohio to new hampshire over july 4th. 760 miles in 13 hours. I definitely recommend some kind of anti inflammatory it helps alot.

I have done 450 miles in one day and 1.5K in two days.

Your ass will kill you but it will hold up just fine.

Make sure you have your oil changed, and get a tire plug.

I rode 2,711 miles in 13 days on the FZ6R. A couple of those were 300+ mile ride days.
I've also done two 600+ mile weekends in the last year. I think the bike is very comfortable on long rides, but i do ride more than most.

Check out the Touring/Traveling sub-forum here. Lots of long (er) riding info down there.

Oh yeah, just get on the thing and enjoy every mile.

:D

Back