Doing my first oil change soon? Thoughts?

Livyatan

Good Afternoon!

Hope yall are having a nice day. Just bought a FZ6R 2015 about a month ago. Been riding only for a couple of months. Had used a friends 84 Honda Magna for a bit before this bike. Got my licenses officially two days ago, I have to wait for two weeks for the new drivers licenses to show up.

Going to be doing my first oil change for this bike. I'm the second owner, the bike has ~1500 miles on it. Not sure if the previous owner changed the oil but when I change it going to change the filter as well. Just want everyone's thoughts.

Intent of riding: Going to be using this as my commuter. At least an hour every day of riding. I attend college currently. I plan on holding onto this bike while I'm in college, which will be at least 3 more years.

Details: All seasons except snow. Never colder then 32, never hotter then 113.

Oil of choice: 10W-40 Synthetic Metric Motorcycle Oil from AMSOIL. Going to buy a couple of gallons.
Details: Been reading around this forum for a while. Some people swear by this brand. So gonna trust and take the leap. Anyone have any thoughts on this particular oil ?

Oil Filter of choice: K&N KN-204 Motorcycle/Powersports High Performance Oil Filter.
Details: Going to see if I can buy these in bulk since they are more pricey then other ones. I like the nut on top. Again any thoughts on this oil filter? I was close to going with AMSOIL EaOM Motorcycle Oil filter since it goes hand in hand with the oil you know? Thoughts on that as well?

My main concerns are oil filter and oil choice. Any thoughts? I did do a lot of reading throughout the forums but couldn't find what I was looking for exactly so I thought I would make a post.

Some personal thoughts:
I have read here that the first oil filter's gonna be a *(#$ to remove. hahah.. Damn, I don't have the correct filter wrench thing-a-bob but I'll figure it out.

Have a nice day guys. Thanks in advance.

-Jonathan

twebb6778

Congrats on the new bike!

As for oil, I use Motul 5100 10w40. I found that this viscosity worked well for the temperature variation you get with year-round riding. I use my bike to get to work, about an hour trip each each way, so I get where you're coming from. But AMSOIL is a great choice too, heaps of the guys on here use it without issue.

As for the filter, I'm also using the KN-204, but I found that sometimes the nut tends to round itself out and it's a massive PITA to get off. It's convenient when it works, but when it doesn't it's just as difficult as the stock filter. My advice would be to get the K&N, but also spend a few dollars to get a filter removal tool. It won't cost a whole lot and it just means you can get the stock one off without issue, as well as the K&N if the nut decides to strip.

It's a pretty straight forward process, but take your time if you've never done it before. There's no rush, and it always feels great working on your own bike.

Livyatan

Congrats on the new bike!

As for oil, I use Motul 5100 10w40. I found that this viscosity worked well for the temperature variation you get with year-round riding. I use my bike to get to work, about an hour trip each each way, so I get where you're coming from. But AMSOIL is a great choice too, heaps of the guys on here use it without issue.

As for the filter, I'm also using the KN-204, but I found that sometimes the nut tends to round itself out and it's a massive PITA to get off. It's convenient when it works, but when it doesn't it's just as difficult as the stock filter. My advice would be to get the K&N, but also spend a few dollars to get a filter removal tool. It won't cost a whole lot and it just means you can get the stock one off without issue, as well as the K&N if the nut decides to strip.

It's a pretty straight forward process, but take your time if you've never done it before. There's no rush, and it always feels great working on your own bike.
Thanks for the reply! I appreciate the response. Question from it though, for filter removal tools, are they usually a one fits all or specific sizes? When i looked around this site it seemed like you had to get a specialty tool for filters, your thoughts?

-Jonathan

twebb6778

They should be pretty common and easy to get your hands on. You can get something fully adjustable or restricted to a size. If you're using it for another vehilce, like a car or something, an adjustable on would do you better in the long run. Otherwise sizes are based off diameter of the filter, so measure that and then pick a tool that fits. Each size has a little bit of variation too, so something like 63-76mm, 73-82mm etc.

Livyatan

They should be pretty common and easy to get your hands on. You can get something fully adjustable or restricted to a size. If you're using it for another vehilce, like a car or something, an adjustable on would do you better in the long run. Otherwise sizes are based off diameter of the filter, so measure that and then pick a tool that fits. Each size has a little bit of variation too, so something like 63-76mm, 73-82mm etc.
Much appreciated man, I'm looking at Amazon for an adjustable. See how that goes when I decide to change my oil. I also ordered the oil and filter online. Woot woot. Thanks again for the knowledge.

-Jonathan

tho9504

Wanted to add a question while we're on oil change subject. I changed my oil yesterday (Mobil 1 Synthetic 4T with K&N Filter # 204).

My question is what is the correct way to measure the oil fill dipstick? i put in about 2.8 qts of oil. I wasn't sure what the proper way to check the dipstick. Should i screw the dipstick all the way and then un-screw and check the level or should i just push it in and pull out to correctly measure?

If i screw it in all the way tight and then check it's full. But if i just push it in without tightening it then it's at the half way mark.

jgelack

Wanted to add a question while we're on oil change subject. I changed my oil yesterday (Mobil 1 Synthetic 4T with K&N Filter # 204).

My question is what is the correct way to measure the oil fill dipstick? i put in about 2.8 qts of oil. I wasn't sure what the proper way to check the dipstick. Should i screw the dipstick all the way and then un-screw and check the level or should i just push it in and pull out to correctly measure?

If i screw it in all the way tight and then check it's full. But if i just push it in without tightening it then it's at the half way mark.
First, make sure your bike is level, do not check your oil level with the bike on the kickstand, as you will get an inaccurate reading. Unscrew the dipstick, wipe it off, reinsert it but do not screw it back in, pull it back out and recheck. As long as your in the crosshatch pattern on the dipstick you should be fine.

Last edited:

jgelack

Good Afternoon!

Hope yall are having a nice day. Just bought a FZ6R 2015 about a month ago. Been riding only for a couple of months. Had used a friends 84 Honda Magna for a bit before this bike. Got my licenses officially two days ago, I have to wait for two weeks for the new drivers licenses to show up.

Going to be doing my first oil change for this bike. I'm the second owner, the bike has ~1500 miles on it. Not sure if the previous owner changed the oil but when I change it going to change the filter as well. Just want everyone's thoughts.

Intent of riding: Going to be using this as my commuter. At least an hour every day of riding. I attend college currently. I plan on holding onto this bike while I'm in college, which will be at least 3 more years.

Details: All seasons except snow. Never colder then 32, never hotter then 113.

Oil of choice: 10W-40 Synthetic Metric Motorcycle Oil from AMSOIL. Going to buy a couple of gallons.
Details: Been reading around this forum for a while. Some people swear by this brand. So gonna trust and take the leap. Anyone have any thoughts on this particular oil ?

Oil Filter of choice: K&N KN-204 Motorcycle/Powersports High Performance Oil Filter.
Details: Going to see if I can buy these in bulk since they are more pricey then other ones. I like the nut on top. Again any thoughts on this oil filter? I was close to going with AMSOIL EaOM Motorcycle Oil filter since it goes hand in hand with the oil you know? Thoughts on that as well?

My main concerns are oil filter and oil choice. Any thoughts? I did do a lot of reading throughout the forums but couldn't find what I was looking for exactly so I thought I would make a post.

Some personal thoughts:
I have read here that the first oil filter's gonna be a *(#$ to remove. hahah.. Damn, I don't have the correct filter wrench thing-a-bob but I'll figure it out.

Have a nice day guys. Thanks in advance.

-Jonathan
I switched to Amsoil at 4000 miles. Been running it for the last 1000 miles or so. Bike seems to like it, shifts are smooth. Was thinking about switching to Motul 7100 next oil change just to see if there is any difference. I'm currently using an OEM filter. I was originally going to use the K&N, but after reading online about several people reporting of failures with that filter I chose not to.

tho9504

First, make sure your bike is level, do not check your oil level with the bike on the kickstand, as you will get an inaccurate reading. Unscrew the dipstick, wipe it off, reinsert it but do not screw it back in, pull it back out and recheck. As long as your in the crosshatch pattern on the dipstick you should be fine.

Thanks... i checked it using rear stand.

Livyatan

I switched to Amsoil at 4000 miles. Been running it for the last 1000 miles or so. Bike seems to like it, shifts are smooth. Was thinking about switching to Motul 7100 next oil change just to see if there is any difference. I'm currently using an OEM filter. I was originally going to use the K&N, but after reading online about several people reporting of failures with that filter I chose not to.
Morning!

Nice to hear AMsoil works well for you.

No way, I've heard majority positive about the 204 filter. It isn't a majority? And how did they even find out it was failing?

-Jonathan

jgelack

Morning!

Nice to hear AMsoil works well for you.

No way, I've heard majority positive about the 204 filter. It isn't a majority? And how did they even find out it was failing?

-Jonathan
From what I understand, the reports have come from track riders stating some of the K&N filters have ruptured. From what I've heard, it's enough of a problem that some tracks have banned them and will only allow OEM filters. I found this out when looking for a filter for my R6. I've not heard of any failures on the street. Maybe it's just the high demands of track riding that is causing these failures, I don't know, but I just didn't want to take any chances.

Last edited:

Livyatan

From what I understand, the reports have come from track riders stating some of the K&N filters have ruptured. From what I've heard, it's enough of a problem that some tracks have banned them and will only allow OEM filters. I found this out when looking for a filter for my R6. I've not heard of any failures on the street. Maybe it's just the high demands of track riding that is causing these failures, I don't know, but I just didn't want to take any chances.
o my... wowzers, thanks for the share man. I already ordered my 204. I guess I'll keep in the back of my head what you've said. Thanks again for your input man.

-Jonathan