1st service due:))

ajones70

So this is probably a dull question seeing the work some of you do on your bikes, but is it worth having first service done at a dealership? Here it costs $360 plus tax. Mines booked in for Tuesday as Im almost at the 1,000km and I had to book the appt 3 wks ago. Thoughts?
I cant believe Ive done 1,000 kms!!:D

blkbrd

Elite Member

BKP

They don't do a whole lot that first service (assuming you change the oil yourself -- for which there's no excuse NOT to, unless you're rolling in money).

That being said, my philosophy on 1st service (unless you regularly work on bikes yourself) is let the dealer specifically go over everything, lube, tighten, etc., and catch whatever the seller might have done haphazardly when getting the bike out the door (I found my tires were under-pressured by 6 lbs. each, when I got the bike home from the selling dealer).

I've since skipped the 4k, the 8k, and the 12k (I change the oil, do the lubes, check fluids, bolts, etc. myself). I'm at close to 13,000 miles right now, and have ordered new plugs (which I'll do myself), and just ordered some new tires (which I'll have one of the moto-shiops install, along with the new sprockets/chain I got in the group buy). In another 1,000 miles or so, I'll bleed the brakes, and put new fluid in, front and back myself.

At 16k, I'll bring it in for that service, so they can do the valves, flush the radiator, and might have them check/sync the throttle bodies.

ajones70

Maybe chech other dealers. My first service was $60.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2
$60!!!! Damn! We get ripped bigtime here! Yep $360 is the best price and its from the dealer I bought bike from!!!!

ajones70

This is my first bike. Ive never worked on a bike or a car. Im not very , lets say, mechanically handy lol.... Thought I would get 1st one done at dealer so I know its all good then its just about time to winterize and I will learn how to do oil change, etc next yr. i only have 1yr warranty so thinking its best to have professionals do it this time round..... But it is alot of money.....
I bought it brand new, came straight out of shipping crate into my arms :)

2013 Fz6r satin

To bad they do this,and I'm being really nice about it...car dealership don't rip the customers off on there scheduled maintenance...so every one having a nice Sunday!!:D

Superzoom

$360 is about three hours of labour plus oil change materials, which is really on the high side. I very seriously doubt that most shops will take more than an hour total of time working on your bike. First service is a cash grab from people exactly like you, who are not mechanically inclined, but wish to have some piece of mind.

There are honest shops and dishonest shops. The dishonest ones will change your oil, and maybe spend five minutes quickly going over your bike. They certainly won't do anything that takes any time, like valve clearances or chain adjustment. They know that in 95% of cases, a bike is fine after 1000 km.

An honest shop will go through some or most of the check points in your manual. They may shoot some lube here or there, but I suppose the thing you are paying for it if they find anything which is loose or not functioning properly, which might happen that 5% of the time.

Basically, if your shop is dishonest, and I think a lot are, then paying $360 for a first service is a big ripoff. If your shop is honest, they may find something that needs lubing or is out of spec, and you're just paying a big premium for this service. You may never know which it is, as it all happens behind closed doors in the back of the shop.

There's no clear right or wrong answer. But as others have pointed out, you can certainly change the filter and oil yourself (which can be horribly messy; do a search) and check things yourself and save a ton of money. And in doing the work yourself, you will actually have MORE piece of mind because you know what's actually been done. I've had lots of shops screw up things as simple as an oil change on my car.

ajones70

$360 is about three hours of labour plus oil change materials, which is really on the high side. I very seriously doubt that most shops will take more than an hour total of time working on your bike. First service is a cash grab from people exactly like you, who are not mechanically inclined, but wish to have some piece of mind.

There are honest shops and dishonest shops. The dishonest ones will change your oil, and maybe spend five minutes quickly going over your bike. They certainly won't do anything that takes any time, like valve clearances or chain adjustment. They know that in 95% of cases, a bike is fine after 1000 km.

An honest shop will go through some or most of the check points in your manual. They may shoot some lube here or there, but I suppose the thing you are paying for it if they find anything which is loose or not functioning properly, which might happen that 5% of the time.

Basically, if your shop is dishonest, and I think a lot are, then paying $360 for a first service is a big ripoff. If your shop is honest, they may find something that needs lubing or is out of spec, and you're just paying a big premium for this service. You may never know which it is, as it all happens behind closed doors in the back of the shop.

There's no clear right or wrong answer. But as others have pointed out, you can certainly change the filter and oil yourself (which can be horribly messy; do a search) and check things yourself and save a ton of money. And in doing the work yourself, you will actually have MORE piece of mind because you know what's actually been done. I've had lots of shops screw up things as simple as an oil change on my car.
Thats very very true. The shop is at the dealer where I bought bike. They have a great reputation so Im pretty sure they wont not check the bike properly. I guess for my piece of mind I will get them to do it this time and plan on learning how to do it in the Spring.

Thanks for the opinions. As always fully appreciate them.

BKP

$360 *is* a bit over the top...

At the very least you can change the oil yourself (you'll get a better filter, and better oil, doing it yourself, for MUCH cheaper -- and it's *really* not rocket science). After that, it's just checking things, and perhaps a squirt of lube.

Nothing wrong with asking if you can watch the tech go over your bike... You'll get a better feel for what they don't do (and it'll be fun watching them try to squeeze 3 hours of work out of that first service).

ajones70

$360 *is* a bit over the top...

At the very least you can change the oil yourself (you'll get a better filter, and better oil, doing it yourself, for MUCH cheaper -- and it's *really* not rocket science). After that, it's just checking things, and perhaps a squirt of lube.

Nothing wrong with asking if you can watch the tech go over your bike... You'll get a better feel for what they don't do (and it'll be fun watching them try to squeeze 3 hours of work out of that first service).
Damn! I wish I thought of watching but its too late to book time off work now. K your almost convincing me to cancel the appt lol
My hubby said he will do it for me....he does oil changes on his bike and our sons bike......

MNGreg

waiting out winter
Elite Member

ajones70

I would suggest going and buying your own oil and filter and do that yourself. But then have the dealer do the rest of the service for you just to make sure everything else is still good.

Doing your own oil, Easy but somewhat time consuming will save you a good chunk of change at the dealer. You are looking at $20-36 for oil and $12-$15 for filter, so it will cost you $35-$50 to do each time and then the cost of torque wrench and oil drain pan the first time. But after that you will save about 30 minutes worth of labor charge each time, so about $35-40+ savings each time.
Already have an oil pan and torque wrench...... Will phone dealer tomorrow and ask how much for the service without oil change and decide from there. Will let you guys know what I do :)

HelmetHair

My dealer charged $110 including tax for the 600 mile service. I know they adjusted some things as well as doing the oil change. I could tell the brakes, clutch and shifting felt better and more "precise."

I change the oil myself now.

I don't think I'd pay someone $360 Canadian for the first service.

ajones70

My dealer charged $110 including tax for the 600 mile service. I know they adjusted some things as well as doing the oil change. I could tell the brakes, clutch and shifting felt better and more "precise."

I change the oil myself now.

I don't think I'd pay someone $360 Canadian for the first service.
I know what you mean about the $360....thats whats bothering me. But its the going rate here....after this service I will do it myself but still irks me with paying out that much

FastFreddy

I liked getting the first service at the dealer.
The mechanics seemed to go over everything and checked all the bolts etc.

I since tweaked the lever and pedal positions again back and forth until it was just right.

ajones70

Soooo I'm going to man up! I cancelled my appointment tomorrow for the service.........hubby is going to help me and show me what to do.........thanks guys for your inputs! As always, most appreciated....

Have the rear stand, chain cleaner and lube, oil pan, and that DIY oil cap wrench thingy.....hubby is getting the oil and oil filter tonite. We will do it this weekend :eek:
And I will remember to keep my receipt to show when the oil change was done too!