12 r1

crobih

I owned a fz6r for a year . She was fun but I upgraded. Different experience and a totally different hobby now. I already miss the comfort of the 6r but the r1 is just nasty. She is a pig but its a helluva ride. This forum is much better and helpful then the r1 forum. Too many snotty liter bike riders . But , good luck to you all and stay safe.

I rode for a year on my fz6r and put 16k miles on her. She was the one I learned on and I seem to handle the r1 well. I'm pretty sure if I was not as mature and cautious I wouldn't jump to a r1 but I value my life :). Also I'm 6'2 240lb so I look a lot better on the r1 and I'm not worried about dropping her at lights like I have seen happen to my smaller friends. The bike is heavy but manageable as far as I'm concerned. If anyone else is looking to upgrade, do not upgrade based on what u read on the net. Go out there try them all and see if that's" YOU"

Last edited:

MNGreg

waiting out winter
Elite Member

linkgt

Great to hear that you are staying on the forum. This is like the best motorcycle on the internet :)

crobih

Every single ss I sat on was uncomfortable when comparing to the 6r. But some apex adjustable clip ons and you can gain some needed comfort especially on the wrist. Its one of the first mods I plan on doing besides the hideous exhaust and plate fender. That is why I only take pictures from the front lol. The tc is a feature I had to have hence buying this model. But honestly I don't even know when it would come into play but I figure Seattle is rainy so it better help. You can see plenty of reviews out there sort of bashing the r1 compared to the other 1000's but honestly this thing is a beast and there is a reason why yammi shits on their competition in pro track racing. Bike is manageable but I only rode it twice and breaking in the engine so can't go pasr 6500 rpm and well that's fine by me cuz I still got on t 130 mph and that's enough for now.

MistahT

Mistah T
Elite Member

crobih

Well I rode my buddies 750 gixxer I'm too tall for that bike. Anyone over 6 ft will feeel cramped. R1 or any ss is not really a commuter. The r1 does want to be cornered its definitely a track bike. But I ride on the weekends and prefer twisties so its appropriate. But yea the xplane engine sounds like a v twin.

Fenixgoon

I owned a fz6r for a year . She was fun but I upgraded. Different experience and a totally different hobby now. I already miss the comfort of the 6r but the r1 is just nasty. She is a pig but its a helluva ride. This forum is much better and helpful then the r1 forum. Too many snotty liter bike riders . But , good luck to you all and stay safe.

I rode for a year on my fz6r and put 16k miles on her. She was the one I learned on and I seem to handle the r1 well. I'm pretty sure if I was not as mature and cautious I wouldn't jump to a r1 but I value my life :). Also I'm 6'2 240lb so I look a lot better on the r1 and I'm not worried about dropping her at lights like I have seen happen to my smaller friends. The bike is heavy but manageable as far as I'm concerned. If anyone else is looking to upgrade, do not upgrade based on what u read on the net. Go out there try them all and see if that's" YOU"
i've dropped a couple of times. never riding. always from coming to a stop too quickly.

once i did it at a gas station packed with people. self-served humble pie? :D

also, pics!

crobih

I posted a couple pics. I will update this as I go and sort of show some mod install, etc. And yeah dropping at lights or pulling out of somewhere then having to stop. My buddy just dropped his 12 ducati 1199 penigale . At a gas station. It hurt me just watching it. He was obviously ok but the bike MAN.

Detrich

Congrats Crobih :) I just picked up a 2012 at the end of March too and am loving the power & the sound of the cross plane. It's definitely a bit heavier and bigger, but once u get moving it's very manageable. Yah, all the S1K and ZX10-ers like to dump on us. But, personally I think the R1's headlight assembly is the sexiest of the SS's. Oh, and I'm only 5'6" 145lbs, and the stock height is no problem either. I just flat foot one side when I stop, or both feet when I need to. I just can't flat foot both feet... Posted pix in my virtual garage.

Last edited:

danieljardim

I was at the yamaha dealer this weekend taking care of some paperwork, I was walking around the bikes and on the R1, the visible welding lines on the frame were a big turn off for me :( (besides that, bike is beautiful)

And on a thread hijack note, the new fz6r black, white and blue scheme in person is a SEXY machine. I love it.

crobih

It by far stands out the most, I notice people staring at the front end all the time especially now that they put the led strip in the headlight assembly. I am not too concerned about the welds because I got the raven so I didn't even notice.I can't justify tge price tag on the kawi . The 13 model is 15 k . By the time you gwt it out of the stealership, you are at 17 k easy.

Congrats on your r1, and yeah the xplane sounds beastly.

crobih

@detrich,, are u leaving yours in std mode while breaking the engine in or are u messing with tge a or b setting while the break in is going on.

RoadTrip

I was at the yamaha dealer this weekend taking care of some paperwork, I was walking around the bikes and on the R1, the visible welding lines on the frame were a big turn off for me :( (besides that, bike is beautiful)

And on a thread hijack note, the new fz6r black, white and blue scheme in person is a SEXY machine. I love it.
he he, ducatista aristocracy, welds...

Detrich

well the dealer said to just leave it in standard mode during break in since im getting used to it. so that's what I've been doing. am actually still a bit afraid to ride it in A mode... lol. x.X maybe after 600 mile service. :)

Im also not used to the shift light coming on at 65mph- even in 1st. lol. I think the manual says that can be changed by the dealer?

PS. totally agree that bang-for-the-buck wise the R1 is the best liter value. I'm not an advanced rider or a track rat. so the performance of the bmw & kawai would be totally wasted on me..

Last edited:

crobih

Yeah I got it in standard, the light is whatever more annoying then anything. Funny thing is after 7k the bike pulls even harder, it wants to fly lol. I got 400 more miles till I break her in.