+1 up front = great!

Marthy

World Most Bad A$$ 6R
Elite Member
Last edited:

JSP

Super Moderator
Doing both of those is a little extreme for this bike. But the acceleration coming out of the corners would be awesome. I've thought about going +2 on the rear just for that. If I get down to 6k on the tach I down shift. This is a bike with an inline 4, not a car or some low rev'ing V-Twin. It's designed to be high rev'ing. You're not even in the meat of the power band until about 7500RPM. The only times I've ever hit 6th gear is on a flat freeway when there are no cars around and I'm thinking about gas milage. Otherwise I don't usually get past 5th on the freeway and rarely over 4th anywhere else, even at speeds of 70+ in the twisties. ;) I like to stay in the power band and be able to use the throttle to punch out of any situation I'm in. Especially on the freeway. If you're cruising at 4500 or 5000 RPM, you're going to be bogged down if you have to punch it to get out of the way of something.

+1

On my R6, when I am spirited riding, I dont ever go under 10k. Usually stay 11-16k rpm. (which means most of the time I never get out of 2nd gear unless on a long straight)

Highway cruising I am still only at around 6-7k... These engines are designed to be higher revving. You can actually cause damage by lugging the engine in too low of an RPM. More clutch wear when starting out as well with the different sprocket if it bogs it down too much.

Marthy

World Most Bad A$$ 6R
Elite Member

PF2411

I too installed the +1 sprocket in my bike as well. I am glad I had the 30mm socket and 18" socket wrench! The install was straight forward and took 20 minutes or so. I also gave the chain a good cleaning before I started. The bike speedo is dead on now as well as a more relaxed ride at high speed. I did not notice much difference at the lower end. Then again I do not ride my bike hard so I tend to keep the RPM down when I am at lower speed around town. All in all a great mod.

bigddy263

Do you think your odometer was before with the stock gear? I know there has been some discussion about this. I would think it is off if the speedo is off as well. I have yet to try the milepost marker thing yet. Maybe I'll do that before I put in the +1 gear.

I was wondering this as it may throw the MPG's we figure with the stock setup. And, if your now pretty close to accurate, then that's a good thing. Based on the stock gearing, I usually get 46-48 MPG. But, if this is inaccurate (8%+/-), then I should definitely get 50+ with the +1 gear.

Let us know how you average.
My odometer was off a little before the gear change, but is a little bit off the other way now after the gear change. My speedo is perfect now though per my garmin 750.

cavcuz05

so is it good just to do the front +1? I debating on doing this my next service

Roaddawg

so is it good just to do the front +1? I debating on doing this my next service
Yes. Just putting on the front +1 is good. I can still get on it with plenty of speed, but it makes long freeway runs nicer with the less RPM's. And, then the bonus of the speedo actually being accurate is nice too.

Here's my thought (and I've said this before), if you commute or do long hauls, the +1 is totally worth doing. If your just a weekend warrior and don't ride it much...don't bother. That's my 2 cents.

Uno979

Thuper Moderator
Premium Member

CrazyCawi

UNO which kit are you going to go with? And which chain?

ChUcK

Part of me wants to start a new thread for this, part of me wants to raise the dead, necromancy wins.

I installed the +1 (17 tooth) front sprocket a few thousand miles ago and recall thinking that the chain is now touching the black plastic chain guide. I figured I was just being paranoid, but the chain noise was definitely louder and my gas mileage didn't really change.

Yesterday I remembered to check it out. I pulled the chain guide off and inspected it, and there was definitey rubbing. I know I installed the sprocket correctly (I checked which way about 672 times) but my chain was rubbing the black "track" on one side and was wearing it down, not to mention the chain links were all rubbed clean where they were touching the chain guide. Sorry, no pics taken, I feel foolish now for having to paint a picture with words.

I took the chain guide and Xacto'd enough off so now it doesn't touch the chain at all. My first thought was to remove the chain guide completely, but it seems to be an integral part of the clutch structure, and it catches a lot of the flinging lube so I left it on.

I have yet to go through a tank of gas to see if my gas mileage has improved, but there is a little less chain noise. Has anyone else inspected their +1 handiwork and noticed the same thing, or something similar?

amg14

no problems with the chain gaurd being rubbed up against or any abnormalities besides that. i have a 17T sprocket by Driven.

CDN6R

Chuck,, one of the first mods that I did to my 6R was the +1 sprock and I have not encountered any rubbing at all with my bike. The best gass milage I did encounter was 68 MPG (Imperial).

WhiteFZ

I don't understand all this talk about "fixing" the odometer accuracy. The speedo and odo are calibrated separately. OEM odometers read 99.9% accurate, the speedometer is a tad inflated, so if all you guys go nuts fixing the speedometer, then the odometer is inaccurate. It's been this way in cars and bikes for the last 30 years.

This article is good at explaining:

http://www.caranddriver.com/features/02q2/speedometer_scandal!-feature

Last edited:

ChUcK

When I go riding with my buddy his odo always racks up less miles than mine. I can't remember the exact amount, but it's something like 5%.

WhiteFZ

When I go riding with my buddy his odo always racks up less miles than mine. I can't remember the exact amount, but it's something like 5%.

One of your bikes have been messed with....stock reads accurate.

ChUcK

In theory, sure. In practice, measurement devices need constant calibration in order to remain accurate.