+1 up front = great!

Chaos

So how do we adjust the speedo?

Marthy

World Most Bad A$$ 6R
Elite Member
W

whatever

this tues when i drop off the 2010 ninja and hop on the fz6r from the dealer, my ride home will be about 65 miles no highway of coarse to work the motor up and down the rpm.

now thats a high rever of a bike so should be cool to see the differents but i will be on break in so can't go to fast but, i will see and...... report back......... will do some early pulls to help seat rings.

after owning that bike i may never need to rear gear this bike, i use to run sometimes 8/9 rpms for miles.

Roaddawg

FINALLY....I installed my +1 sprocket that I bought awhile back. I had the day off today and the kids at school, so I decided to change it out. It was pretty easy to do.

Test Ride: I've been riding this bike since Apr 2009 and have over 19K miles on it. So I was pretty used to the sounds and when to shift and what MPH I was at (by doing the 8% speedo math). NOW, with the new 17 sprocket, I have to relearn the bikes sounds and feels some. I could tell that the acceleration wasn't quite as quick as stock, but not enough to be a big deal. And, the RPM's are lower. It will take a few days before I "get" the feel of this new gearing.

The best part is, my speedo is accurate now within 1 MPH +/-. I ran it up and down this street near me that has the radar speed limit signs.

So, I think this will be good for my long hour commutes on the freeway. If you just ride it on the weekends or around town, I wouldn't do this, unless you want the speedo to read accurate.

JnT4Life

If you just ride it on the weekends or around town, I wouldn't do this, unless you want the speedo to read accurate.
I just wanted the speedo to be accurate, but since I never see interstate and only ride the bike for fun, I'm gonna go back to stock. I miss the acceleration.

Spunky99

Since I did the R6 header/Viper/PC V mod, I got back all the acceleration I lost doing the +1.
This things goes like a bat outta Hell now....

WANDERER

I like acceleration......-1 & +2 hmmmm. But what about my weekend (2-3 days) long trips? sucks when I have to weight which route I should go....and I don't want to keep changing sprockets.

CDN6R

Wanderer:: i did the + 1 front sprocket and I am happy with it. If i do feel that I need a little more acceration than I will add a pipe/ PC V like Spunky did. Laurie

72racer

Elite Member

Roaddawg

Just wanted to give an update/review on the +1 I added a couple weeks ago.

CONS: Out of the hole, the acceleration is not quite as quick as stock, but not bad, just have to get use to it. If I'm at 50-55 in 6th gear and I want to pass someone, I have to kick it down at least one gear if not two in order to get the RPM's to launch it for a pass. I haven't noticed any MPG savings...averaging 43 MPG on three tanks...Although, I usually cruise around 70-75 on my hour long freeway commute and I'm still figuring out my new shift points, so I'm revving higher than before.

PROS: The speedo and odometer are almost dead on accurate. That's a big plus to me. Also, it cruises nice down the freeway...not as wound up. Tonight, I hit some twisties (Lake Berryessa) on the way home from Sacramento and didn't notice anything negative about having +1. I rode that road like I normally do. The only negative was the jackass that passed up four "turn-outs" and was going 25 the entire time for about 5 miles. :rant: I couldn't get around due to too many curves and double yellows.

Overall, I would recommend it if you use your bike for commuting or longer rides/touring. If its your weekend toy, I'd keep it stock, unless you just want the speedometer/odometer accurate.

DocFZ

Please tell us where you bought this from and the brand name etc...I've been looking for a rear sproket -2 but cant find one anywhere...any issues with +1 front I heard that there is some modding to get it to fit?
I went with a -2 from vortex racing, they dont really have a listing for the rz6r but when you order just send a message in the order box with the bike. I got a -2, bike still rips, and I got an aluminum sprocket, weight difference is pretty nuts between the two, obv wont do much though.

Dunkirk

So, guys, what's the practical difference from doing a +1 front or a -1 back? Is it easier to do the front?

Funkmaxtor

+1 up front is the same as going -3 in the back. Is there an advantage of changing the front versus the back? Not really. If you went down 3 in the back you would shorten the chain a bit.

72racer

Elite Member

dart1963

Super Moderator
Elite Member

KenS

Doing both of those is a little extreme for this bike. But the acceleration coming out of the corners would be awesome. I've thought about going +2 on the rear just for that. If I get down to 6k on the tach I down shift. This is a bike with an inline 4, not a car or some low rev'ing V-Twin. It's designed to be high rev'ing. You're not even in the meat of the power band until about 7500RPM. The only times I've ever hit 6th gear is on a flat freeway when there are no cars around and I'm thinking about gas milage. Otherwise I don't usually get past 5th on the freeway and rarely over 4th anywhere else, even at speeds of 70+ in the twisties. ;) I like to stay in the power band and be able to use the throttle to punch out of any situation I'm in. Especially on the freeway. If you're cruising at 4500 or 5000 RPM, you're going to be bogged down if you have to punch it to get out of the way of something.
I'm not a mechanic, but can do some things and this is one of the few additional mods I thought of doing to my FZ6R to gain a little more mid punch in the twisties. However, after wading through all the posts trying to understand if -1/+2 would be the way to go, I keep coming back to Jon's comment about the design of our inline 4 (high-revving). Makes a lot of sense and I really don't want to damage the bike long term.

So Jon, do you think this is more detrimental to our bikes to make this mod or am I misunderstanding something? I'd like the extra mid punch, but I don't understand enough of the mechanics to make the most informed decision so any further clarification is much appreciated :)

Marthy

World Most Bad A$$ 6R
Elite Member