YES service program- is it worth it?

bigpish13

Just curious on anyone actually buying or have bought this service warranty. For $1700. it's supposed to cover all the maintenance for 3 years irregardless of the miles. I have no skills or even have time to do these on my own and I'll be putting an average of 110 miles per day 5 days a week on this bike. Is pay as you go service actually more expensive? The dealer told me, I'll be saving at least 1k by buying into the program. What are your thoughts?:(

motomc2

That's a long service contract......

What if you sell the bike in 2 yrs do you get a refund for the unused year? 2-3 yrs is max for my bike ownership. By then I've got the "itch" for another bike.

ksanbon

I think you have to look at this as 2 topics. Do you gat YES w/ maintenance or the YES warranty only.

If I remember correctly, the YES without maintenance costs $620 for 4 years. You'll need to check on the actual coverage time, because most "automotive" extended service plans (warranties) count the 1st year, which already includes the manufacturer's standard warranty. What that means is the 4 year warranty might only be getting you 3 additional years of coverage.
If you don't think you're going to have cash in the bank to pay for major repairs, then YES might be a good idea. It's a lot like having health insurance in that most people can't afford to pay for a $50,000 hospital bill or even make payments on it. but they can afford to pay $100 to $800 for insurance. If you're low on funds, you might ne able to make payments on YES that might be lower than credit card payments for any repairs.

As for the YES w/ maintenance, I say NO. The fz6r isn't that complicated and niether is the maintenance. You can learn a lot online, like through this forum, or have a friend show you how. You'll need to invest in some tools and time, but they'll last you for a lifetime.

I got lucky. My local Ford dealership has a tech that likes working on motorcycles, so they did most of my 4,000 mile service for $20. I said most because I brought the oil & filter and I chose not to have the spark plug gaps checked. It never hurts to ask.

BTW, I'll be buying the 4 year YES, but I'll call a couple of dealers to negotiate the price.
One thing I forgot to mention, most warranties are transferrable in case you sell it the bike, if not, they refund the unused portion of what you paid.

Last edited:

bigpish13

ksanbon, thank you for the advice. :thumbup: I guess it'll be good for me to learn to know how to care for my baby. The extended warranty does sound a bit more reasonable. I may consider that too.

Blue-Sun

Elite Member

ksanbon

My Yamaha dealership here in Arizona sells an extended warranty through a company called "Western" something. I checked it out and it seemed legitimate. It was an extended warranty for four additional years for $500. It didn't cover the routine maintenance, but thought it was worth it if something major breaks... I figured it was a cheap insurance policy for $125 per year.

If anyone has had any experience with this "Western" extended warranty, please share.

Thanks.
If it's Western General, they're a big after-market company with a good reputation.. These warranties are actually insurance policies.
If you policy is like their automotive policy, the only thing you'll need to remember is that anyone who plans to do work on your bike will need to call their 800 number for pre-approval.

Halon

I got the policy as well, it was around 1700 but I'm 2000 miles from my immediate family starting my life in a state where I hardly know anyone let alone any other riders to learn from. Also this is my first bike, and I'm a Bella broke college student, so in my situation I felt like it was justified to invest a little extra to have a little guarantee that my problems would be covered.

Blue-Sun

Elite Member

pyrocpu

I just got a notice in the mail from Yamaha corporate, inviting me to get YES. To Ksanbon's point, direct thru Yamaha, it was in the low $600 range for 4 years.

For me, I know that I'll keep the bike less than that; the extended warranty on a Yamaha just doesn't seem worth it to me. YMMV. :shrug:

Uno979

Thuper Moderator
Premium Member

Rabbitman109

Lumen Junkie
Elite Member