Yellow FZ6R down

Yummy Yellow

I came down with my much beloved yummy yellow FZ6R, and now she's gone.
Was doing my first track day "advanced driving course" and did about 6 laps before unexpectedly i was on the tar sliding. When i came down i couldn't believe it, it was totally unexpected and thought that maybe there was something on the track. After watching the video i now know what probably happened. The video can be seen here:
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m8v3mXeKrag]Bike Accident Feb 26 2012.wmv - YouTube[/ame]
The reason I fell was a combination of factors but mostly due to the blipping of the throttle. I sometimes blip the throttle on down shifts to match engine revs with road speed, but what happened on this occasion, and i've experienced it before, i didn't gear down or the lower gear wasn't engaged, so now the revs are up, the clutch is released rapidly but in the same gear. So while braking hard and probably turning slightly due to the biker in front of me, the front wheel got less grip due to the surge forward, and it locked causing me to go down.
At first i didn't think the fall was that serious, the bike just slid on one side, and i tumbled a bit before coming to rest on the grass on the side of the track, but my fabric pants tore and the knee cap protection gave way and i crushed the patella and tore the tendon. My jacket also tore at the spandex type material on the inner arm causing a tar burn on the lower arm.
That happened in Feb 2012, I'm up and walking for a while now but just need some physiotherapy to bring my knee back to full use again. Unfortunately the bike was a write-off so I'll be looking for a new bike soon. Not sure whether it will be the FZ6R again but I'll always have fond memories of this awesome bike.

Attachments

Marthy

World Most Bad A$$ 6R
Elite Member

CrazyCawi

Wow thats an intense thing to have happen and glad your making a near full recovery! What bikes are you considering? You had a gorgeous bike, I always loved how you had the wheels painted, I was never brave enough to do that with all the other yellow on my bike, but yours looks exceptional

Perdurable

Teeker!!!
Elite Member
Last edited:

BoneJj

damn dude, looks like that jacket hardly kept together and that knee took a nasty bit there as well.

Good luck in your recovery, I now how it is to not be able to walk for a long time... It truly sucks!!!

I've done that rev matching myself and screwed it up a time or 2. I guess taking the extra second to make sure it's all the way down into the next gear will have to be a certain thing before letting that clutch out again. pretty crazy stuff.

CrazyCawi

the lady in the dress has huge undies on.

DakinechicK

This makes me sad. Getting your learning on and then..... this. :(

I'm sorry!! Glad you aren't hurt worse. Your bike was a beaut!

6R Blackout

Sorry about your ordeal, and your bike, she really was a beauty. Hope you get a new bike soon and take to the track once more. Look at it this way if you hadn't been wearing protective gear and say been riding on the street, it would have been way worse. Glad your ok man.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Casey (aka) Hunter77!

mradamhopkins

Really sorry about the accident! I like how you had your wheels I was thinking about powder coating mine white I have the 2012 pearl. Hope for a speedy recovery! We're you able to keep the exhaust and other aftermarket items? Might get a quick sell on here if so!

Spunky99

Those yellow wheels look sweet!

That bike looks like it is rideable. Keep it for a track bike:)

Good luck on rehab...

Yummy Yellow

Finally got myself another bike. It was hard to choose one that looks as good and that suited me as well as the FZ6R. I made my choice a while ago already but couldn't find a 2010 and up secondhand one in my area. When the new bike went on special I decided to bite the bullet and get it brand new. Yep,so i now have a brand spanking new.....drum roll....Kawasaki z1000. Awesome bike, awesome power. Not quite as good looking as the yummy yellow, but it'll do for now. I'm happy again.

yfz6r

I love the current gen z1k. They updated pretty much everything from the 09 model.
Enjoy the bike and use the clutch to downshift lol

Marthy

World Most Bad A$$ 6R
Elite Member