Yamaha FZ6R, Suzuki SFV 650, & Kawasaki 650,which is better and why ?

S

Schybrid

What are some of the pros and cons of these bikes ?

And why did you guys choose the 6R over the other 2 ?

If you had another option to rebuy etc, would you get the 6R again ?

I know the other 2 are 2 cylinders, and sound different, but power and bikes seem to be somewhat similar in alot of aspects.

djbbenn

Hi, this is my first post here. I just bought a 2012 FZ6R. One of the main reasons I chose the Yamaha over the other two is because I like the sound of the inline 4 engine over the 2 cylinders.

I have to admit I think the Kawasaki is a nicer looking bike in some aspects, but overall I still like the look of the Yamaha more, especially after seeing some of the mods that can be done. I also had a lot of friends who had experience with the Yamaha recommend it.

Dan

Scott_Thomas

Insert title Here
Elite Member

Fizzer6R

I know the other 2 are 2 cylinders, and sound different, but power and bikes seem to be somewhat similar in alot of aspects.
actually no, that is the main difference in terms of engine, how it makes power and even more important puts it down to the ground.

if you are new to bikes, then won't have anything else to compare it to. best advice i'd give is, get a bike ASAP period, not matter what it is, just to get yourself on 2 wheels to start the experience. then once you have a few months in the seat, hopefully you'll already be with a small group of riding buddys, kindly ask to swap rides for a quick spin. then you'll have 1st hand feeling for how they differ

the first time I rode a v-twin I was like OMG this is how torque is suppose to be!! :eek:

S

Schybrid

actually no, that is the main difference in terms of engine, how it makes power and even more important puts it down to the ground.

if you are new to bikes, then won't have anything else to compare it to. best advice i'd give is, get a bike ASAP period, not matter what it is, just to get yourself on 2 wheels to start the experience. then once you have a few months in the seat, hopefully you'll already be with a small group of riding buddys, kindly ask to swap rides for a quick spin. then you'll have 1st hand feeling for how they differ

the first time I rode a v-twin I was like OMG this is how torque is suppose to be!! :eek:
So are you saying that you prefer the torque of the V-twin over the inline 4 ?

or do you still prefer the whole rpm range of the 4 over the twin ?

both engine seem to produce similar 0-60 times,etc.

Last edited by a moderator:

Brian O.

I bought my FZ6R as a left over new 2011 in March of last year. I originally wanted a Kawasaki Versys, but found it a little too tall for me. I then got interested in the Ninja 650 until I found a great deal on the FZ6R and that's why I chose it. I like all of the above bikes and more, I just was looking for the best price. No Regrets, It's a great bike. Needs a better seat and windshield. Rode through a Nasty rain storm on the coquihalla hwy here in B.C. and the bike performed great. Choose the bike that best fits you and just enjoy it.

yfz6r

The 2012 Kwai 650r is a better overall bike. Watch some comparison vids and read some articles. They are all good bikes. I know the 6r and 650r have decent power throughout the rpms. Ride them, loo at them, read them a story and go with the one you like.

Scott_Thomas

Insert title Here
Elite Member
Last edited:

RoadTrip

Hi, this is my first post here. I just bought a 2012 FZ6R. One of the main reasons I chose the Yamaha over the other two is because I like the sound of the inline 4 engine over the 2 cylinders.

I have to admit I think the Kawasaki is a nicer looking bike in some aspects, but overall I still like the look of the Yamaha more, especially after seeing some of the mods that can be done. I also had a lot of friends who had experience with the Yamaha recommend it.

Dan
I was the same, but now I kinda starting to like thumping v-twins and triple sounds as well; of course, the ninja 650 is a parallel twin and is a bit farty like a single, but I wouldn't let that be a deal breaker. In the end, though, I still love an I-4 the best, it sounds good through the whole rev range; some of the twins and triples sound good at idle and at the top, but sound muted or like a whistle in the middle revs.

RoadTrip

For the purpose of resale, I think the 6R or Ninja may be better choices, go to a showroom and just stare at them, sit on them, and compare the prices, then sleep on it and simply pick one - you will prolly love either one. But, I wanted the I-4 sound, and the 6R felt better to me sitting on it, so yeah that's the one I got.

S

Schybrid

yeah i like the sound of the I-4 myself, but i remember back i nteh day, they had the Honda RC51. man that thing sounded awesome, i think its a V-twin 1000. ill try to find a vid and post it, sounds great.

applejax

Yamaha FZ6R, Suzuki SFV 650, & Kawasaki 650,which is better and why ?

Don't get your heart set on any of those bikes until you sit on them and feel them out.

I always wanted a Daytona 675r until i sat on one and couldn't get comfy for it. You'll know what bike is for you when you sit on it.

S

Schybrid

Don't get your heart set on any of those bikes until you sit on them and feel them out.

I always wanted a Daytona 675r until i sat on one and couldn't get comfy for it. You'll know what bike is for you when you sit on it.
I have sat on the following bikes:

2013 kawi 650, felt good
2013 yama FZ6r, felt good
2013 Hondas CB1000r felt ok, but more leaned forward.
2013 kawi ZX6R, felt like sh!t. but looked bada$$.
2012 honda Vfr1200, felt like a mammoth.

havnt found the suzuki sfv650, no dealers in miami have them yet.

Texas Fizzer

Just my opinion , I looked seriously at the Ninja 650 . A really fine motorcycle ( I just sold a 2007 Ninja 500 a really underated and under loved bike ) The Suzuki Gladius seems to almost be a myth as every Suzuki dealer I went to could not say when they would have any . This scared me . I have always liked Yamaha their form fit to me just seems to be a little better then the others . The twins are nice but I have owned twins for years . The FZ6R does not seem to lose in the torque like i thought it would and the seating on the FZ6R seemed almost a standard type seating . Standard seating for me is excellent higher bars and my feet straighter down. I think for the money the FZ6 R is hard to beat it has everything i will ever need

BKP

The 2012 Kwai 650r is a better overall bike. Watch some comparison vids and read some articles. They are all good bikes. I know the 6r and 650r have decent power throughout the rpms. Ride them, loo at them, read them a story and go with the one you like.
That's nonsense.

The Kawi does have higher torque at lower revs than the Yamaha, however, it's vibration, jerky throttle, and drawbacks of the twin compared to the 4 has it lacking...

Read each reviewers last paragraph in summation:

2012 Kawasaki Ninja 650 vs. 2012 Yamaha FZ6R - Motorcyclist Magazine

Spunky99

When I bought my 2011 FZ5R, I sat on a GS500F, Kawasaki ZX6R & Ninja 250, Honda CB1000RR and the Yamaha. I'd already owned a bunch of bikes before and thought I knew what I liked.

I thought I liked the sitting position on the Yamaha best but after a while I hated the seat as it gave me major hot spots, I hated the pegs and the overall sitting position as it hurt my back. After I wrecked the FZ6R, I went for the Daytona 955i and slowly dropped the clipons as far as I can go without mashing my fingers on the gas tank and now my back no longer hurts. It took a year of slowly adjusting the clipons lower and lower and I was surprised to find the lower I went, the better my back felt. No hot spots and I love the pegs and overall sitting position. I'm pretty much in a Panigale position at this point with 2 ruptured disks and one that is missing and I'm 59. So the position you feel at the dealer is not the same as riding and especially a long ride. I find I typically ride at most less than a 2 hour distance so I don't need the cruiser position. I'll get off after a long ride and stretch and then I'm fine.

Next is the 2 vs 3 vs 4 cylinder part.
The 4 cyl is smooth but needs lots of RPM to get the torque. In a street situation, running a lower RPM and or being able to generate lots of torque without having to downshift is a big advantage. Having a vibrating 2 cyl tho is a pain vs a smooth 4 cyl. The triple gets the torque at insane low RPM like a 2 cyl but comes with the smoothness of a 4 without the buzziness at high RPM. You can get more CCs in a 3 cyl and keep the engine narrow than a 4 cyl so that keeps the center of gravity is lower and the engine is narrower than a 4 cyl and that means you can flick the bike into corners. If you ride where twisties are far and few between then this won't matter. My 955 feels like the FZ6R weight wise when leaning over while stopped.
I do love the wicked sound of an inline 4 screaming around a track but I also like the tractor like power of the FZ6R vs a YZF600R. I found myself at mostly full throttle in acceleration on the FZ6r where I don't on the much more powerful bike..

Get a bike...learn how to ride and be prepared to upgrade. Don't throw a ton of money into it......

S

Schybrid

When I bought my 2011 FZ5R, I sat on a GS500F, Kawasaki ZX6R & Ninja 250, Honda CB1000RR and the Yamaha. I'd already owned a bunch of bikes before and thought I knew what I liked.

I thought I liked the sitting position on the Yamaha best but after a while I hated the seat as it gave me major hot spots, I hated the pegs and the overall sitting position as it hurt my back. After I wrecked the FZ6R, I went for the Daytona 955i and slowly dropped the clipons as far as I can go without mashing my fingers on the gas tank and now my back no longer hurts. It took a year of slowly adjusting the clipons lower and lower and I was surprised to find the lower I went, the better my back felt. No hot spots and I love the pegs and overall sitting position. I'm pretty much in a Panigale position at this point with 2 ruptured disks and one that is missing and I'm 59. So the position you feel at the dealer is not the same as riding and especially a long ride. I find I typically ride at most less than a 2 hour distance so I don't need the cruiser position. I'll get off after a long ride and stretch and then I'm fine.

Next is the 2 vs 3 vs 4 cylinder part.
The 4 cyl is smooth but needs lots of RPM to get the torque. In a street situation, running a lower RPM and or being able to generate lots of torque without having to downshift is a big advantage. Having a vibrating 2 cyl tho is a pain vs a smooth 4 cyl. The triple gets the torque at insane low RPM like a 2 cyl but comes with the smoothness of a 4 without the buzziness at high RPM. You can get more CCs in a 3 cyl and keep the engine narrow than a 4 cyl so that keeps the center of gravity is lower and the engine is narrower than a 4 cyl and that means you can flick the bike into corners. If you ride where twisties are far and few between then this won't matter. My 955 feels like the FZ6R weight wise when leaning over while stopped.
I do love the wicked sound of an inline 4 screaming around a track but I also like the tractor like power of the FZ6R vs a YZF600R. I found myself at mostly full throttle in acceleration on the FZ6r where I don't on the much more powerful bike..

Get a bike...learn how to ride and be prepared to upgrade. Don't throw a ton of money into it......
so you have a 955 now ?

and also, how'd you like the CB1000R ? or was is a CBR1000 RR ?

im thinking of the CB1000R, nice ass bike, loads of power compared to the FZ6R

Anthony

Fastest Member
Elite Member
Last edited:
S

Schybrid

6R is much smoother. Having an inline 4 makes a big difference.

Also, in a recent survey conducted at spring break, 91% of female college students between the ages of 18-23 think that the FZ6R is sexier when given the options included in this forum.
dont really care what chicks think......
im getting bike for me, not chicks.

Anthony

Fastest Member
Elite Member