Yamaha frame sliders mismatched

rocketraman

I just bought a new 2012 FZ6R. Loving it so far.

I bought and had the dealer install the standard Yamaha frame sliders for the FZ6R on it. I realized they were "frame-cut" sliders but figured with the dealer doing the work it would be fine.

However, the sliders look completely mismatched i.e. the port-side slider sticks out about half an inch further than the starboard slider (see pics).

The dealer insists this is "normal" as they are the stock Yamaha slider, and this is simply the way Yamaha made them. Seems odd to me and am wondering if the dealer messed up by installing sliders for the wrong model or installed them incorrectly. Anyone else have any experience with the standard Yamama frame sliders?

Attachments

Doncan

Usually one bolt is longer in one side than the other to avoid that issue. I just installed wednesday Yoshimura frame sliders on my buddy's GSX-R 750 and one bolt was longer than the other. Same with another friend's R1...

Fizzer6R

i know OES sliders are side specific, but they end up looking almost identical on each side. those do look weird how one is flush and the other isn't

rocketraman

Yeah, the guy at the dealer said if he switched the sides it would be even worse.

lwclancers

I want to say its normal for one side to be longer...pretty sure that side is longer to account for (I think, im not sure cause ive been at work for 13 hours) crank case sticking out a little further.

Detrich

Intuit Racing ones are longer on one side too. The bike itself is not 100% symmetrical on both sides to begin with. That's why there is a left and a right slider. One side will be longer sometimes... I think that's normal. Some brand of sliders do "look" more symmetrical. I think Shoguns tend to be more even on both sides. But every brand is different.

alaskanflyboy

Premium Member

CrazyCawi

I about shit goldies when I saw that the fairings were cut...on the bright side its only white. If it was a yellow bike that would be sacrilege.

JSP

Super Moderator
does anyone else just cringe seeing two big holes cut into a perfect fairing? :confused:

Yamaha FZ6R Accessories, Yamaha FZ6R Frame Sliders

yes, one is longer... I'd say, paint the bolts black so it doesn't look quiet as obvious.

The first hole does not look bad really at all. That second one though looks like they did it with a jig saw...

Sorry, dont know about the length of the cut sliders.

bobski

I just bought a new 2012 FZ6R. Loving it so far.

I bought and had the dealer install the standard Yamaha frame sliders for the FZ6R on it. I realized they were "frame-cut" sliders but figured with the dealer doing the work it would be fine.

However, the sliders look completely mismatched i.e. the port-side slider sticks out about half an inch further than the starboard slider (see pics).

The dealer insists this is "normal" as they are the stock Yamaha slider, and this is simply the way Yamaha made them. Seems odd to me and am wondering if the dealer messed up by installing sliders for the wrong model or installed them incorrectly. Anyone else have any experience with the standard Yamama frame sliders?
I have Shogun no-cut sliders and one side is longer than the other but they look normal when installed. In this case I think it's that one slider sits nicely in the hole but the other one stands out so much from the hole with only the narrow diameter shaft fitting into the hole. I don't know why that would be and that looks very odd.

alaskanflyboy

Premium Member

rocketraman

On the fairing cut -- keep in mind those pics are zoomed in so it really doesn't look as bad as one might think from these pics. I do wish they had kept the holes smaller, though I don't know if it's possible to install this type of slider with smaller fairing holes.

But yeah, in general I was pretty disappointed with the slider installation when seeing the bike for the first time at the dealer. :(

Perdurable

Teeker!!!
Elite Member

Perdurable

Teeker!!!
Elite Member

rocketraman

Here's a good pic of the Yamaha 6R sliders:
http://www.yamaha-motor.com/assets/accessories/500/36p-f11d0-v0-00-500.jpg

See if yours look the same.
Yup, they look just like those, and by visual inspection I can also tell that they are mounted on the correct side. Based on the information people have provided in this thread, I think they are installed correctly, and as mentioned earlier by another poster it just sticks out a little farther on one side to protect the bike.

I also liked the suggestion of one poster to paint the metal part black so that it stands out less.

Overall I was surprised and initially disappointed with the install, but now that I have gotten over that initial reaction, I am reasonably happy with the look. Also, the position of the sliders in the center of the fairing will ensure they will do the job they were intended to do.

Thanks everyone for your feedback.