Yamaha Double Bubble Windscreen

cloudfire

I decided to get a few extras when I ordered stuff to fix the bike after I laid it down in Dec, especially since someone else was paying for it. So I got new blue bar ends, the comfort seat, the seat cowl and the clear Yamaha Double Bubble Windscreen. Of all the extras I got, I am happiest with the windscreen. This was an upgrade from the stock black windscreen. I liked the way the black one looked but my head was getting buffetted really bad at 70MPH and I'm only 5'10". I had to put my chest on the tank and almost put my chin on the handlebars to get out of the wind. Now, with the new windscreen, the air hits me perfectly above the face shield in a normal riding stance (for the FZ6R anyway) and I can crouch just a little and get almost completely out of the wind. The difference is amazing! There is no buffeting, even at 90 (don't tell my wife :rolleyes: )

I didn't go with other brands for a couple of reasons. I wanted a sport look to the bike, so the Puig touring screen was out. I wasn't real crazy about how the Puig racing screen looked on the bike and it didn't seem to have near the bubble that the Yamaha one does. Plus the Yamaha had the FZ6R on it and had a tint combination that looks great with the bike (lower edges have a dark tint).

Now I just have to figure out where I want to mount the 12v adapter and figure out how to get my gloves to work with my iphone (anyone know a cheap place to get conductive foam?)

cloudfire

Ok, now for some pics. I included a few extras to show off the seat cowl and the bar ends. There's not a whole lot of difference with the comfort seat except that it's a tighter squeeze to fit the seat cowl on. I'm loving the windscreen, did I already say that? :D

Attachments

TokenSSDD

Those look like the GTYR bar ends... and I agree, that wind screen should be factory. If it was I wouldn't have bought mine lol.

Superzoom

I'm wondering, has anyone removed the black grab rail for cosmetic purposes? I'm thinking it might make the tail end look better, especially with a seat cowl like that.

The grab rail is super heavy, too. Probably 5-10 pounds.

yfz6r

It would leave exposed mounting holes near the seat. I don't think the cowl would cover them. And I grab on to mine to stretch when on long rides.

cloudfire

I actually left it off after doing some work on my tag lights just to see what it looked like without it. While it does have a clean look with the seat cowl, to me it just looks like there's something missing and not just because there are exposed gaps from where it mounts. The cowl does cover the holes, but there is still gaps where the bar is supposed to attach. The rail is heavy and I thought seriously about taking it off even with the gaps, but it also provides a little bit of protection to the fairings in the event of a lay-down. I found that out in December.

The bar ends are from Yamaha. I bought all my replacement parts from Powersedge.com because they were the cheapest at the time. A couple of days after they shipped, someone on this forum cued me in to stadium yamaha which has even cheaper prices. I could have saved another $75 on all the stuff I purchased (about $1600 for everything).

After using the comfort seat for a few weeks now, I really haven't seen much of a difference. I can't really tell that it's any softer, maybe just a little bigger. I do like that it has "FZ6R" stitched into it but that's not worth what I paid for it. I'm gonna keep it but I would not recommend it to others.

TokenSSDD

I'm wondering, has anyone removed the black grab rail for cosmetic purposes? I'm thinking it might make the tail end look better, especially with a seat cowl like that.

The grab rail is super heavy, too. Probably 5-10 pounds.
I did it for a while and it didn't look too bad. Then I dropped the bike, scratched up the rear end a bit and wished I had left it on...

MiltonDorkenhoff

Search, THEN post.
Elite Member

cloudfire

Ok, I fixed the signature. I hadn't changed it since I joined (originally planned to buy a 2011 FZ6R).

As for the windscreen and pics, it may have been painted/coated by the original owner, but it was the stock windscreen. Pics are here

Nastybutler

Cynical Member
Elite Member

MNGreg

waiting out winter
Elite Member

Gixerhp

I decided to get a few extras when I ordered stuff to fix the bike after I laid it down in Dec, especially since someone else was paying for it. So I got new blue bar ends, the comfort seat, the seat cowl and the clear Yamaha Double Bubble Windscreen. Of all the extras I got, I am happiest with the windscreen. This was an upgrade from the stock black windscreen. I liked the way the black one looked but my head was getting buffetted really bad at 70MPH and I'm only 5'10". I had to put my chest on the tank and almost put my chin on the handlebars to get out of the wind. Now, with the new windscreen, the air hits me perfectly above the face shield in a normal riding stance (for the FZ6R anyway) and I can crouch just a little and get almost completely out of the wind. The difference is amazing! There is no buffeting, even at 90 (don't tell my wife :rolleyes: )

I didn't go with other brands for a couple of reasons. I wanted a sport look to the bike, so the Puig touring screen was out. I wasn't real crazy about how the Puig racing screen looked on the bike and it didn't seem to have near the bubble that the Yamaha one does. Plus the Yamaha had the FZ6R on it and had a tint combination that looks great with the bike (lower edges have a dark tint).

Now I just have to figure out where I want to mount the 12v adapter and figure out how to get my gloves to work with my iphone (anyone know a cheap place to get conductive foam?)
Here is a link to help you with the I Phone, and gloves! Sew: A Needle Pulling (Conductive) Thread For Easy DIY iPod Gloves | Cult of Mac

cloudfire

Yeah, I looked into that but I don't really want something that has to poke holes in my gloves. I've got a stylus with conductive rubber tip that works and I've heard that you can use conductive foam like what is used to package electronics. It's just a matter of ordering it and figuring out how to glue/attach it effectively.