Wrong Mileage on ODO

netsyd

We took my wife's FZ6R in for service on Thursday. It was the first service that should be done at 600 miles, but she ran over it due to scheduling issues and it went in at according to the ODO 995 miles. We're thinking now that something went wrong on the trip to the shop. The shop is 20 miles from our house. According to her the ODO was at 940ish when I took it down there that morning so it should have only clicked 960.

Anyway, that's not a big deal. What is a big deal is that we've calculated her riding since that time and its 174 miles. The ODO is now at 1775! 606 miles over what she's actually travelled.

Any ideas what is going on? With the holiday weekend the shop is closed and won't open until Tuesday... so should she leave it parked or will they be able to fix the ODO reading?

Stock tires, no sprocket changes...

:confused:

JonKerr

Elite Member

Marthy

World Most Bad A$$ 6R
Elite Member

netsyd

Check that it's not on KM instead of miles. Common mistake.
Next time just tell me to :rtfm:

Seriously - Thank you. She was off the frickin handle upset and I never even thought to look at the km/h thing. I've never hit it on my R6s so it never even crossed my mind that is what she had done.

MikeN02

Yeah, it's a common mistake for people. Heard a story about how a guy took his R6 to the shop and the mechanic even said "why'd you tell me you have XX miles you when you actually have XX more miles than you said?"

So the guy who owns the bike was stumped and asked the forums, they said the same thing and he told the mechanic and what do you know, mechanic switched it to km by accident.

dart1963

Super Moderator
Elite Member

CDN6R

Check that it's not on KM instead of miles. Common mistake.
Is it just the U.S. bikes that do this? I tried switching mine just for fun (it is in KMS and yes I do live in Canada) and nothing happened...just wondering.

JonKerr

Elite Member