Wow lane splitting to a whole new level

jccity6

The good thing is once this jerkoff crashes, and he will, there wont be anything left of him or the bike to clean up.
saves money

roadrat

Russia needs organ donors like this guy... especially livers since they drink so much vodka, lol!

tractorboy

When it really got hairy from 4 min on I think I crapped myself!
excuse me while I go change!!

Bartholomew

Even if they made lane splitting here in Texas legal, I doubt if I would. I could see just about everyone getting angry with the biker. If they can't go, then the biker shouldn't get too either! Texas drivers seem to have a bad attitude. I believe that in some areas drivers consider the use of a turn signal a sign of weakness! I would bet that any biker trying to split lanes here would just end up getting squeezed out or have a door opened on him.
I wonder if the riders in the video understand just how dangerous it is doing what they do in traffic?

Bloke

The russian guy is squidding it. Filtering isn't that dangerous however if done safely, no more so than riding on the road anyway.

Sure you can get doored but you could equally get rear ended. As for being squeezed, you try to not get yourself in those positions.

Nice gentle easy filtering here: [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XD04SON1d74&feature=youtube_gdata_player"]WSM traffic jam - YouTube[/ame]

Granted we're cheating using the ghost islands as another lane but the same principle applies. It's legal, safe and without it that traffic jam would be lots longer.

no chuffing way i'd have willingly sat in that traffic, it was ruddy boiling and we were filtering!

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Tapatalk

AngryAnt

This is an ignorant question I know: but is the video above what lane splitting is like for you guys in states where it's legal? Like is there "extra" room between the lanes to make it easier?

I can't imagine lane splitting here, all major highways the lanes are so close together I can't possibly fathom going between cars without clipping mirrors constantly, especially at any speed.

alaskanflyboy

Premium Member

toofless

This is an ignorant question I know: but is the video above what lane splitting is like for you guys in states where it's legal? Like is there "extra" room between the lanes to make it easier?

I can't imagine lane splitting here, all major highways the lanes are so close together I can't possibly fathom going between cars without clipping mirrors constantly, especially at any speed.
when i lane split it's nothing at all like that guy...

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P3cOGglRHtI"]free-way-fz6r - YouTube[/ame]

unless i speed it up...

Last edited:

AngryAnt

You definitely appear to have more room than I'm used to seeing, but still seems a little ballsy to me, but I guess you'd get used to it.

Spunky99

I can't tell you how many car mirrors I've hit lane splitting. Filtering...LOL Hell no...I don't filter anything, I split the lanes.
I used to have a set of mirrors that mounted on the clip-ons that I could rotate in to lane split. Now that worked really well.

I had a chick in a red Nissan move about 6 inches towards the line in the last 2 feet as she stopped at a red light and I clipped her mirror as I threaded the needle. She wanted me to pay for a new mirror and hers wasn't even scratched or damaged. She said there could be hidden damage and wanted a brand new one on a 4 year old car. I told her to eff off and call the Cops as I left. Needless to say a Cop would have told her it was a civil deal and impossible to prove since there was no visible damage. She just wanted some free cash...that's all.....Hoochie Mama

Bloke

Not normally. The video above had a massive ghost island next to it, normally i'd be riding on the left dashed line or rather weaving over it without the luxury of the hashed area, guess it was a poor example for "proper" filtering.

If you're clipping mirrors, you're just crap at it or retarded.

I filter through traffic without the luxury of nice wide american roads, I've yet to clip anything.

Even tight enough to "paddle" ones mirrors between cars (weave left and right to get between lined up car mirrors).

shall post up a better example of filtering or lane splitting as you lot call it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=md1Ah0NPKdw&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Pretty normal inner city stuff there. Safe so long as you use your judgement and eyes. We rarely need to filter on motorways/highways, when we do it's boring straight, no hassle stuff.

Last edited:

AngryAnt

What precisely is the difference between lane splitting and filtering? I didn't find a satisfactory answer on google.

Adroit

What precisely is the difference between lane splitting and filtering? I didn't find a satisfactory answer on google.
My understanding is that filtering is going through stopped traffic (like going through cars at a red light to get to the front) and lane splitting is just squeezing through traffic (moving and stopped).

Bloke

My understanding is that filtering is going through stopped traffic (like going through cars at a red light to get to the front) and lane splitting is just squeezing through traffic (moving and stopped).
Nope, no difference whatsoever. Filtering is filtering through traffic :) just some folks over the water like things spelled out in full.

Something like you usually see from america on the freeways: only in the uk, forgive the commentary, he's an advanced motorbike instructor.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P9PcwqE8GME&feature=youtube_gdata_player"]M5 - M6 Motorway Filtering on motorcycle - YouTube[/ame]

Last edited:

Crocop43

what an idiot......i got money that says this guy dies in the next 2 yrs anyone wanna take the bet?

leprecaun jon

ESTABLISHED RESIDENT
Elite Member

Roaddawg

Here's me splitting traffic (or, lane sharing, or filtering...whatever you want to call it...it's all the same) coming out of San Francisco. This was my typical commute to and from work everyday for the past 2+ years. I feel a hell of a lot safer splitting safely through traffic then I do sitting there waiting to get rear ended and cramping my clutch hand. 99% of the people around here during the commute hours are respectful of motorcyclist splitting through. Had a couple close calls, but you just have to keep your head on a swivel and cover your brake and clutch. I've never hit a mirror or nothing and I've had some tight squeezes too. It's really not as bad as it seems. [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mt8TyISXFds]Splitting Traffic Lanes in the Bay Area - YouTube[/ame]

AngryAnt

Here's me splitting traffic (or, lane sharing, or filtering...whatever you want to call it...it's all the same) coming out of San Francisco. This was my typical commute to and from work everyday for the past 2+ years. I feel a hell of a lot safer splitting safely through traffic then I do sitting there waiting to get rear ended and cramping my clutch hand. 99% of the people around here during the commute hours are respectful of motorcyclist splitting through. Had a couple close calls, but you just have to keep your head on a swivel and cover your brake and clutch. I've never hit a mirror or nothing and I've had some tight squeezes too. It's really not as bad as it seems. Splitting Traffic Lanes in the Bay Area - YouTube
Thanks for the vid. I can see it where you're at, the lanes are reasonably far apart, and you don't lane split when the traffic is going faster than 20-25 mph it seems. I could see myself doing the same. That'd be impossible here as close as the lanes are, and there are very few spots where traffic really slows down like that. Its more red lights, but between that its 0-50 mph pretty quickly.

Spunky99

When I get my bike running, I'll post some 70 mph lane splitting vids with the traffic at 55 on the freeway. All the bikes and the CHP do it.
It gets kind of hairy when you do 55 mph + splitting traffic that is stopped on the freeway tho....I'll post it all....because if you split traffic on the freeway, you have to do the same speed as the rest of the bikes (and CHP) lane splitting and I have to pull behind cars sometimes to take a break as it gets too intense after a while. It's a nice wide space between the carpool lane and the #1 lane on the freeway in most places and it does get crazy fast.