Wooo Hoooo stock exhaust mod complete

Mart Man FZ6R

Oh man, I can't believe how good it sounds. I had mine done pretty much the same way that "Chaos" did his. The guy at the muffler shop cut the end off the small tube to get the mounting plate out of the way. He then used a hole saw to cut a nice round hole through the outer skin of the muffler, then used the sawzall to slide the blade through to cut the small tube that runs through the inside of the muffler. I didn't have a camera to take pics, but just look at the ones "Chaos" posted, it looks the same. The guy then grabbed a 2" ish slash cut chrome tip. He put it up and asked me how far out I wanted it so I went with just a little past the swingarm. It's about as far out as the stock cover was, and then he welded it up from the inside of the tip. I'll try to get a pic to post a little later.

I can't believe how much this bike sounds like the sound clips of the TB system. I has that lower / deep tone growl to it now. At a steady cruise it's not that noticeable, but when rowing through the gears WOW IT SOUNDS GREAT. I don't think I'll be needed that horn mod now. The cagers will be looking for where the sound is coming from now.:wav:

Do you get the impression I like this mod?;) The best part is, the muffler shop guy only charged me $40.00 parts and labor. The TB full exhaust and juice box is $1100.00. Can't beat that with a stick.

owldaddy

Ok Mart Man, I have got to see this. Have you noticed any change in the way the bike runs? Maybe we can get together for a ride soon. Oddly enough, it looks kind of like the mod I made to my BMW, if you look at the pic I have of it posted in my profile, you will see there is no muffler, I had a chrome tip welded onto the CAT. The bike sounds better, and I could install RT system cases. Which is why I removed the muffler, I wanted full size bags on this bike. BTW, no one finds the sound to loud. The CAT does an excellent job as a muffler. It does sound like a motorcycle now instead of a sewing machine.

Last edited:

Chaos

I can't wait to see a pic of how yours looks! We just did my buds bike the other day the same way we did mine. Wow, you can for sure hear us comin now. And with having the 2 of us roll through our bridge underpasses, it just sounds supa sick.

Mart Man FZ6R

Ok Mart Man, I have got to see this. Have you noticed any change in the way the bike runs? Maybe we can get together for a ride soon. Oddly enough, it looks kind of like the mod I made to my BMW, if you look at the pic I have of it posted in my profile, you will see there is no muffler, I had a chrome tip welded onto the CAT. The bike sounds better, and I could install RT system cases. Which is why I removed the muffler, I wanted full size bags on this bike.
For sure. You'll be going faster, but I'll sound faster. HEHE I better go take a pic to upload.

I can't wait to see a pic of how yours looks! We just did my buds bike the other day the same way we did mine. Wow, you can for sure hear us comin now. And with having the 2 of us roll through our bridge underpasses, it just sounds supa sick.
I bet it sounds great with two bikes. I can't believe how nice the bike sounds when your running up the R's. Will certainly make the cagers look for you. I noticed at a steady speed, it's actually pretty quiet. No real droning sound to speak of that I found. Going to take it out for a spin in a couple minutes to really test it out. So far, I've just ridden it home from the muffler shop.

Mart Man FZ6R

Ok, I took some pics, so here ya go. I need to do a little cleaning and get some heat proof black paint to finish it off, but you don't really see it unless you bend down to look at the weld. I don't know what that white crap on the muffler is. I noticed it was on there when I got to the muffler shop.

Last edited:

Chaos

Looks awesome!

Mart Man FZ6R

Well I just got back from about a 30 mile ride. All I can say is if the TB exhaust is louder than this, I'm really glad I didn't buy the full exhaust. It's deffanetly louder than I expected, but I think it's because you sit right above the muffler, and the full face helmet blocks any wind noise so you really hear the exhaust. It's deffanetly not too loud though. My wife was concerned that it was going to be obnoxious especially through the neighborhood (before I got it done). The last time I went for a ride I drove up to the house and honked my horn so somebody would open the garage door for me. When nobody openned the door, I thought they had left. I walked in the house and everyone was there. I asked why no one openned the door for me and they said they didn't hear anything. When I came back from todays ride the door starting opening just as I was pulling up the driveway. My wife said they could hear me coming, but it wasn't obnoxious at all as the note from teh exhaust isn't an irritating one. She said the pipes I had on my Harley were much louder than the 6R exhaust is.

All said and done, I really like the change and the fact that the family could hear me coming in means the cagers should here me as well which is exactly what I was looking for.:thumbup:

joloy133

Wish you would have dyno'ed before/after. There is a performance improvement. If you get any popping or backfire situations there is a thread or two on fixing that w/o a PCV or juicebox. You'll be running lean. Looks good!

Mart Man FZ6R

Wish you would have dyno'ed before/after. There is a performance improvement. If you get any popping or backfire situations there is a thread or two on fixing that w/o a PCV or juicebox. You'll be running lean. Looks good!
I'm sure there's no REAL HP gains, but it's funny how your 'ear dyno" tells you there's more. The bike feels more responsive and I don't get any backfire or popping at all. I may get a little bit of a gurggling sound on deceleration around 3K RPM, but the bike feels smooth as hell. The sound of the bike as you run it up in revs from gear to gear is just AWESOME. I wasn't even looking, or thinking, I was going to get any performance gain. I was looking for added volume so the cagers will "look for the sound" since I know they're not looking for me.

I know there are a nuber of people who say the "loud pipes save lives" thing is BS. And, they will continue to think that way until they change their exhaust and start to notice that cars aren't changing lanes on top of them any more. This was one I learned myself with my 1996 HD Wide Glide. Stock Harley's are amazingliy quiet. I wanted pipes on it and the dealer asked me to keep stock exhaust until the first service when they would install the pipes. During that first 500 miles, I got "drove over" 3 times. On that 3rd occasion I stlll to this day don't know how I managed to keep from getting splattered. When the pipes went on, it NEVER happened again. I did make it a note not to go BLASTING past cars with open drivers windows though. I just wanted to be heard, not blow out people's ear drums. I wish more guys with the really loud pipes would do this as well. Cagers don't seem to care for us already, no need to fan the fire.

Last edited:

ayalasa

that looks great but now that we are speaking about mods, i have a question? is there any way to weld on just the muffler piece of a TB on stock pipes and would it make a diffrence?

joloy133

Take it to a muffler pro and get an estimate. They should tell you what they would do and how much, or they will say why they can't. Find a shop that does custom stuff, and not just show bikes. There are a lot of good welders/fabricators out there, all looking for work at competitive pricing. Most will give a 90 day warranty on the workmanship if not more.

Mart Man FZ6R

Got a real world riding feedback from the wife today. We met for lunch and I asked her to let me ride behind her, in front of her, and then do a drive by on the drivers side. In all situations she said the bike was noticeable due to the sound, but at no time obnoxiously loud. When I hit a main 3 lane road, I really got on it and she said it sounded awesome.

So this mod gets a huge :thumbup::thumbup: for effectivness, price, and just pure enjoyment.

stuna

IS IT FAIR THAT EVERY ONE HAS TO HEAR YOUR NOISE :(
IF RIDERS LIKE NOISE THEY SHOULD LIVE NEXT TO THE AIRPORT :D
I LIVE 1 MILE OFF THE FREEWAY HERE OUT IN THE STICKS , AND I CAN HEAR THEM FLIPPING LOUD BIKES GOING DOWN THE HIGHWAY FOR MILES . NOW IF YOU HAVE A LOUD CAR . WHAMO TICKET
LOUD SNOWMOBILE IN THE WOODS :confused: . NOT HERE TICKET TIME :eek:
YOU PULL INTO A TOWN AND THE SIGN SAID NO JAKE BRAKE :confused:. BUT NOT, NO LOUD BIKES . LETS PLAY A FAIR GAME :thumbup:
WHAT IF YOUR NEIGHBOR HAD A HOT CAR THAT THEY KEPT TUNING ON AND IT IS LOUD , SHOULD YOU HAVE TO PUT UP WITH THAT NOISE :thumbdown:

F

FZ6Rgurl

I am planning on taking my bike to the custom exhaust shop here in town to see what they can do for a stock mod. It looks like you took the stock chrome piece off and replaced it with a straight pipe? Is that basically what they did? Oh and cut the stock inside pipe down?

Mart Man FZ6R

IS IT FAIR THAT EVERY ONE HAS TO HEAR YOUR NOISE :(
IF RIDERS LIKE NOISE THEY SHOULD LIVE NEXT TO THE AIRPORT :D
I LIVE 1 MILE OFF THE FREEWAY HERE OUT IN THE STICKS , AND I CAN HEAR THEM FLIPPING LOUD BIKES GOING DOWN THE HIGHWAY FOR MILES . NOW IF YOU HAVE A LOUD CAR . WHAMO TICKET
LOUD SNOWMOBILE IN THE WOODS :confused: . NOT HERE TICKET TIME :eek:
YOU PULL INTO A TOWN AND THE SIGN SAID NO JAKE BRAKE :confused:. BUT NOT, NO LOUD BIKES . LETS PLAY A FAIR GAME :thumbup:
WHAT IF YOUR NEIGHBOR HAD A HOT CAR THAT THEY KEPT TUNING ON AND IT IS LOUD , SHOULD YOU HAVE TO PUT UP WITH THAT NOISE :thumbdown:
The bike really isn't that loud. In fact, I just got my first service done and the guys at the dealership gave me a big thumbs up for having a nice balance of being able to hear it without being obnoxious. I rode the bike with my half helmet the other day, and once I got over 40 MPH, I couldn't even hear the exhaust at all.

I am planning on taking my bike to the custom exhaust shop here in town to see what they can do for a stock mod. It looks like you took the stock chrome piece off and replaced it with a straight pipe? Is that basically what they did? Oh and cut the stock inside pipe down?
Remove stock tip > cut off pipe behind the bracket > hole saw to cut 2" hole in outer skin of cat > sawzall behind the circle to cut off the pipe > weld on new tip > enjoy the new sound.