Winter projects

gearhead

For myself, the fun part of this forum is getting ideas on customizing my bike. Example: I would have never thought of putting the remote garage door opener in the fake button next to the turn signal. IMO, that is freakin brilliant! So, in addition to doing all my own maintenance, this winter will have a few more projects while waiting for the decent riding weather to come around again. I'm going for a light sport tourer theme here. The first project will be that remote garage door button. Then, a new larger wind screen if a decent one comes out soon. Bar risers (I'm 6' and would prefer not to bend over.) Change the turn signal pods to something smaller and still visible. Who knows, maybe even some tasteful neons. What else are you all planning to do over the winter with your bike? After all, winter is the perfect time to have it torn apart. :cool:

flyingminno

Nice, those sound good, hope they work out for you. Well don't really have a winter here in So Cal, but I plan on smaller turn signals as well, and what ever else sparks my interest.

gearhead

Man, I grew up in Pismo Beach and miss having only 2 seasons, they were: warmer and cooler.

btastarsky

I plan on using the money from my tax return to put the Arrow exhaust on my bike along with a pc5. I'm also toying with the idea of putting a larger (170 series) Dunlop Qualifier on the back with a matching front. My friend has a zx636r and he says that the Qualifiers are no joke. I may also add a Puig windscreen and a set of frame sliders too. I'm really hoping that I get the Frank Thomas Velocita 1 piece racing suit for Xmas. If I get my projects done the way I want, that suit would be the icing on the cake, plus it's only $249.99 from Cyclegear.com.

99vengeur

Administrator
Staff member
I'm looking at doing the AIS block-off at some point in time. We also don't have a true winter, and since this is my transportation to work, I can't really have it torn down for very long. I'd also like to get either a PCV or the JB, not sure which one yet. I'd also like to sync the throttle bodies, install a new air filter and the Stebel air horn. I'm also going to try and retrofit some projectors into the headlight housing to see if it can be done and how much work it will take.

I guess I had more things planned than I thought! :eek:

F

FZ6Rgurl

We have a hardcore winter here and I'm crossing my fingers that a local performance exhaust shop called Muzzy's Exhaust follows through with what they said they'd do to my bike. Basically use my bike as a prototype and build an exhaust for our bike. But the cool thing is, is that I would keep the exhaust system for free. :). SO that's what I'm crossing my fingers for this winter. They're really busy lately and said they're about two months out :(. But it's ok. I can be patient.

JonKerr

Elite Member

joloy133

I have hyperpro springs on order for front and back, just in time for my 6 month/ 4000 mile servicing. Afterwards its paint or striping, then the handlebars. Also considering windshield, but I like the stock one good enough! (Already through with exhaust, air filter, PCV, dyno tune, front braided lines, modulated front and rear lights).

GoGreen09

I plan on using the money from my tax return to put the Arrow exhaust on my bike along with a pc5. I'm also toying with the idea of putting a larger (170 series) Dunlop Qualifier on the back with a matching front. My friend has a zx636r and he says that the Qualifiers are no joke. I may also add a Puig windscreen and a set of frame sliders too. I'm really hoping that I get the Frank Thomas Velocita 1 piece racing suit for Xmas. If I get my projects done the way I want, that suit would be the icing on the cake, plus it's only $249.99 from Cyclegear.com.
Hey B - check out: Motostrano Close-Out Promotions. Not sure what size you are, but for another $100+ you can get an Alpinestar suit. Also, I've replaced my Bridgestones with Qualifiers, and they feel SSSOOOOOOO much better! The Bridgestones felt really soft compared to the Dunlops!

GoGreen09

Due to lack of funds for now, the R6 headers is sounding better than a full TBro's solution. I'll definitely try the K&N air filter, and again depending on $$$ I'd really like to change out the suspension. Priority??? maybe the suspension first then the headers with the PCV.

gearhead

Just curious, why would you change out the suspension? Are you trying to lower the bike or is the ride too soft or firm?

gearhead

Gogreen09, but prettty much any of you who have mentioned changing out the suspension. It's such a nice riding bike the way it is, I was wondering what the purpose of changing it out would be for.

joloy133

Well I've got hyperpro progressive springs coming for both front and back. I'm 5'9" and 195 lbs before all the gear. The suspension is good for most applications. When I go hard in the hills here, back to back tight turns, posted 25 doing 45+, the suspension dives plenty on late braking. I didn't bottom out but was over the top substantially. Since we have no adjustment other than preload in back, I felt the best option to allow me to run hard on those occasions without sacrificing the smooth ride for most of my riding was this option. Talking to RaceTech, they recommend altering the front suspension based on my weight and riding preferences, (non-track). This option is more pricey though. I just like to ride and the curves are fun as you get better.