Winter Gear: Balaclavas?

Fenixgoon

I'm looking to get some glove liners as well as a balaclava that covers both the front and back of the neck (because that's what REALLY makes me cold).

Both revit and Astars have nice full neck balaclavas. Anyone have experience with them?

REV'IT! Blaze Balaclava - RevZilla

Alpinestars Touring Winter Balaclava - RevZilla

it's just meant for not-quite-cold-enough-to-stop-riding winter temps. not hardcore winter stuff with sub-freezing temps :p

no i don't intend to rob any convenience stores.

yes i want to be warm.

maybe i want to look like a ninja :D

Sage

They help alot at keeping your neck/ face warm while riding in very cold temps. I have one that is made for doing stuff in snow. Keeps you warm but it doesn't make you sweat, and I was fine at 18 degrees...

JSP

Super Moderator
Yeah, I have a fleece one that I absolutely LOVE! Down in low temps, the cold will feel like needles piercing your neck. I dont feel anything with the fleece on. Love it!

porange

I had an old cotton balaclava I've worn for two winters now and it's done me just fine. I bought a new one recently just because the old one is well.. getting old.

I ride into Winter until there's snow, so I'll see mid to low 20s and be fine with a balaclava under my FF helmet. I think a big thing that helps keep your face warm is a chin curtain on the helmet. My EXO400 didn't have one but I just bought a Bell Vortex and it's much better with the cold wind. My neck though, IDK I don't even really remember any discomfort in that area; maybe I was too focused on my hands freezing off lol

alaskanflyboy

Premium Member

ajskillz13

Just got this... Perfect.

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Turtle-Fur-Shellaclava-Facemask-Black/dp/B00205S8KW]Amazon.com: Turtle Fur Shellaclava Facemask Black/Black: Automotive[/ame]

Heineken

Elite Member

oldtouring b

Before you buy

Take a look at a neck garter. It slips around your neck and blocks the wind and cold. I tried the balaclava and it changed the fit of my helmet.

gdh8tsu

Check out Cycle Gear they have a pretty good sale going on on their cold weather stuff got a pull over shirt pants and Waterproof/insulated BILT gloves for 80 bucks!!

AngryAnt

Does anybody have a particular balaclava that they find thin, but still effective? I bought a Serius balaclava at the local hunting store. It's warm, but thick enough that it makes my helmet fit really, really tight to the point of being uncomfortable. Also the front part slides down past my chin when putting on the helmet, which is kind of annoying.

dtuberbau

I have a the Schampa Pharaoh Deluxe balaclava. Its thin but effective, especially since this particular design is meant to cover your neck and upper chest. I've been extremely happy with it in my arsenal of cold riding gear.

PHARAOH DELUXE BALACLAVA

ChUcK

Never tried a full face balaclava, but I rock a felt Seirus neck gaiter almost year-round in the PacNW just to escape the wind. It reduces the noise level as well. Cost 25 bucks at REI, I think.

yfz6r

I really want one of these but my helmet fits really snug. Think I'll be alright? I hear good things about the warmth

Fenixgoon

shame on me for not updating this - i went with the revit blaze and ended up taking it on a trip from MD to NJ. it worked like a champ! 100% wind proof - my face was completely warm the entire time (the rest of me not necessarily, haha :D)

I'm considering buying this one as well..

Did you notice if any wind was able to get under the neck portion and come back up?

Were your shoulders warm?

I was thinking of getting one that would go over the collar of my heated jacket liner, that way no wind could possible come in.