Windscreens for FZ6R

Roaddawg

FYI, I got an e-mail response from Zero Gravity that they are working on a windscreen for our bikes, expected in 10-12 weeks from now. CalSci said they do not have any current plans due to their manufacturing process. Thought I would pass along the info for those (like me) looking for a different windscreen.:rockon:

fz6rwolf

Wonder if taller and wider? hmmm

F

FZ1inNH

Yamaha has one on their site, a double bubble type design in smoke and clear. $69.95 and is only 1" taller but totally redirects the airflow.

Roaddawg

Yamaha has one on their site, a double bubble type design in smoke and clear. $69.95 and is only 1" taller but totally redirects the airflow.
I've seen that one and a few people on here have put them on, but nobody has really said that there was much of a difference. I'm tall and want the air to blow a little more over and not sure if 1" would do the trick.

B

blaxx

Yamaha says about the tinted windscreen: "30mm shorter than accessory Clear Raised Bubble Windscreen."

So the tinted one is a little shorter than the clear one I believe.

I would really like to hear from anyone with the clear raised windscreen, if the 1" makes that much of a diffrence. I am considering getting one because at 80 mph I have to duck down a little to keep my helmet from getting blown about.

V

vdbergj1

This is what mbridge51 said in his CARGO Tail Bag thread. There is some photos as well.
Yes, it is the Raised Bubble from Yamaha. I put it on after using the stock shield for a while. The angle is more steep which does seem to deflect the air more over the top of my helmet. The width is not much different so the wind/air on my shoulders is about the same. It made the biggest difference riding in heavy rain. I was able to tuck in behind it more than the stock shield, which helped.
Cargo-tail-bag

phocoyote7

I've seen that one and a few people on here have put them on, but nobody has really said that there was much of a difference. I'm tall and want the air to blow a little more over and not sure if 1" would do the trick.
hey dawg :D

Like I said didn't get a chance to really feel the wind with the stock. I was riding yesterday at around 60 - 70 and I don't really get a feeling that my helmet was going to take off. Like someone stated you still get a bit of wind on shoulders. I did close my visor cause it's still a bit of wind to take in the face even with sunglasses on. I didn't feel like I needed to fight against it either. Only rode about 20 miles that way though. Sure if your riding longer could get tiring.

B

blchandl2

Contact Cee Bailey. You might get to be their test rider and get some free windscreens. I did for my FZ6.

mbridge51

Yamaha says about the tinted windscreen: "30mm shorter than accessory Clear Raised Bubble Windscreen."

So the tinted one is a little shorter than the clear one I believe.

I would really like to hear from anyone with the clear raised windscreen, if the 1" makes that much of a diffrence. I am considering getting one because at 80 mph I have to duck down a little to keep my helmet from getting blown about.
I bought the clear raised bubble windscreen and it does make a differece. The 1'' taller does not sound like much, but the angle is more vertical which really does help. The wind still hits my shoulders about the same because the screen is not much wider than the stock screen. I would not go back to the stock screen now that I have the raised bubble.

joloy133

I'm thinking of the taller clear screen which should be about the same height as stock. Will it deflect the wind at speed, higher and over your helmet? I'm also 5' 9", are we close in height? Thanks for the help.

mbridge51

I'm thinking of the taller clear screen which should be about the same height as stock. Will it deflect the wind at speed, higher and over your helmet? I'm also 5' 9", are we close in height? Thanks for the help.
I'm 5'9" also. The taller clear screen does deflect the air higher over my helmet. One note of caution... the raised bubble screen had a sticker on it that was a bear to remove. I tried everything under the sun to remove the sticker and residual adhesive and it was a pain.

B

blaxx

I'm 5'9" also. The taller clear screen does deflect the air higher over my helmet. One note of caution... the raised bubble screen had a sticker on it that was a bear to remove. I tried everything under the sun to remove the sticker and residual adhesive and it was a pain.
That is SO true! I got mine yesterday, and it took a hour or more working at that dam sticker with a razor blade, carefully so as not to damage the screen, and then removing the adhesive with 91% rubbing alcohol.

Even after that, I had to clean up the hundreds of little pieces of sticker that flaked off in the process and stuck onto my clothes, floor, and other areas of the screen.

Why in the world would they put a sticker on there warning the consumer about ways to prevent damage to the screen, but removing the sticker without the use of a angle grinder is next to impossible?!?

Aaargh!

mbridge51

That is SO true! I got mine yesterday, and it took a hour or more working at that dam sticker with a razor blade, carefully so as not to damage the screen, and then removing the adhesive with 91% rubbing alcohol.

Even after that, I had to clean up the hundreds of little pieces of sticker that flaked off in the process and stuck onto my clothes, floor, and other areas of the screen.

Why in the world would they put a sticker on there warning the consumer about ways to prevent damage to the screen, but removing the sticker without the use of a angle grinder is next to impossible?!?

Aaargh!
I got so pissed while trying to remove the sticker that I almost put the stock screen back on. Sticker removal 1hr to 1.5 hours...installation of new windscreen 2 minutes.

phocoyote7

I got so pissed while trying to remove the sticker that I almost put the stock screen back on. Sticker removal 1hr to 1.5 hours...installation of new windscreen 2 minutes.
I was about tempted myself. Actually only ended up taking about half hour for me to get that stupid sticker off. Mine had a couple bubbles in it so I thought shouldn't be bad, I went to lift up with my nail and that thing stuck down and a little corner chipped off. I picked away for about 5 minutes getting nowhere.

So I tried putting some soap and sticking in bathtub thinking that sticker would loosen up after getting wet. No luck that dumb sticker is waterproof. So I filled the bathtub a little submerged the winshield and got a sharp edged plastic tool and just scraped it off. That worked fairly quick, then just had to use goo gone product and get rid of the sticky.

Why would they put something that hard to get off on the windshield.

I

Iskyone

I purchased thr OEM touring screen and it helped a little. Being 6' 1" tall I brought the Tall Cal-Sci screen, installed it on my bike and took it off a week later ans put the Yamaha touring screen back on. The Cal-Sci screen leans at an angle towards you and deflects the wind right into your face. Made my helment hum like a freight train. Hope this helps...

Roaddawg

I purchased thr OEM touring screen and it helped a little. Being 6' 1" tall I brought the Tall Cal-Sci screen, installed it on my bike and took it off a week later ans put the Yamaha touring screen back on. The Cal-Sci screen leans at an angle towards you and deflects the wind right into your face. Made my helment hum like a freight train. Hope this helps...
Would help, but wrong bike. Thanks though. Cal-Sci told me they don't have plans to make one for the fZ6R anyways.

cbzdel

Can anyone post up some pics of the Yamaha screens, both the tinted and the clear..