Windscreen plastic screws

How fast do you have do go to bend the windscreen

• 70 for awhile

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 80 for awhile

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

rlmundt

How/what is the best way to replace the horrible plastic screws on the windscreen. Mine are consistently loose, and I am ruining the head of them. I have a 09 FZ6r blue if it makes a difference. Please help me:D

Neme

Search eBay , there are hundreds of choices for cheap! I think they are the same for every bike.

Y

yellowfz

I did stainless steel from Ace Hardware, Lowe's might have them too.

rlmundt

Ok now knowing i can use aluminum screws/bolts (and i can pick my color)would you recommend lock-tight?

bleedinblue

Elite Member

lwclancers

MiltonDorkenhoff

Search, THEN post.
Elite Member
Last edited:

MNGreg

waiting out winter
Elite Member

latony007

no locktite

no locktite on the winshield screws. I ordered red aluminum from china off ebay for like 6 bucks. The plastic is ridiculous. breath on the heads and they strip. I think the fairing bolts might look good in red too, have to check on that.

sammy56

Oh sweet newbies....plastic screws are meant to break off in an accident...so screen does not shatter in place and potientially slice your neck like a butcher knife...

xleeb0y13x

I was thinking about getting some new screws also. Didn't know it was a safety thing though. Tightening down the plastic ones felt like they'd strip at any time.

Sent from the second bathroom stall to the left.

JonKerr

Elite Member

latony007

metal heads

maybe they should have used metal heads with plastic screws. I fear the shield staying in at all with these. I really don't see how the shield coming off in one piece vs. several could be so much better but Im not a crash expert. I also don't see these micro light aluminum screws withstanding an impact much better than the plastic ones or the things they screw into not popping out with the slightest bit of pressure.

latony007

this is funny

here is what a triumph forum said about the screws, I guess this make some sense now, but again I doubt the plastic things these screw into wouldn't pop out instantly if you ran into it. Id like to see where someone had a problem, well not really but you know what I mean :)

If you get in an accident and are thrown forward through the windscreen the nylon fasteners will release the windshield allowing your body to pass unhinder to the ground beyond. Metal fasteners will hold the screen in place causing it to break into possibly sharp shards as your body passes over on it way to the aforementioned ground.

bleedinblue

Elite Member

latony007

leather

I have the heaviest leather jacket i could find :) with the type 3 armor or whatever its called. I love it and wear it as much as possible but there has been a couple times this month i just couldnt do it for the heat. I also wear gloves and boots pretty much 100% of the time.

rlmundt

Aluminum screws might not be a great idea - it was discussed here and here a while ago.

I found these by searching for "aluminum windscreen screws".
Wow something to really think about. How long should plastic screws last, I keep her in the garage when not riding so sun damage is minimal. I have more of a headache now then when I first noticed the screws loose. AAARRGGGHHH

latony007

screws

i dont know how long they should last, seems like a several years at min if your storing it indoors. I got my red aluminum screws but when i realized they fit as fairing bolts they looked much better there. Together with the guys saying not to do it i figured it was win win.

BoneJj

Ok now knowing i can use aluminum screws/bolts (and i can pick my color)would you recommend lock-tight?
I put locktight on every damn thing I do related to the bike.... if it's a screw, bolt, whatever it gets a dab of locktight on it and end of story. I don't want to have to worry about it so I do it right so I don't.