Will I like the FZ?

CrazyCanuck

Hi, new to the forum but not new to riding. Been riding since I was 16, now approaching 50...so long time rider.

I am looking for a small comutter bike (short 10 minute commute) to the train and back. I currently have a R1200RT as my 2up touring bike and don't want to park that bike outside all day.

There is a 2012 FZ6R with 7,000 KMs (4,300 miles) in white for $3,800 CDN and I thought this might be a good bike for the commute.

Will I find it too small....I'm looking for light, don't care too much on power, as long as it is decent and don't care what the true sport bike riders think. Was looking at twins (versys) because of the better tourque... But like the look of the Yamaha and the price seems right....reviews are generally positively.

Thoughts?

Gord

alaskanflyboy

Premium Member
Last edited:

Fraze

Curious; Are you planning on doing any other riding with this or is it JUST a ~10min commuter Mon-Fri? I commute ~100k (to and from) work a day and the 6R is comfy as hell and an all around great commuter. You mentioned "I'm looking for light" and at about 460 pounds, the 6R is a tad on the heavy side, but that helps overall sometimes on the hwy, wind etc. I was just thinking, if you are just zipping around Toronto (I live near Oakville btw) and using it JUST to commute that distance, you could also consider something like an R3. I rode a friends a few times and that thing was fun as hell..light, zippy, handled well and pretty cheap and good mileage (a used one is about the same as the used 6R you mention) Just a thought, but either way I don't think you could go wrong with a 6R for a commuter, that's literally what it was designed for.

Last edited:

nismos14

I'm movin on
Elite Member

CrazyCanuck

Curious; Are you planning on doing any other riding with this or is it JUST a ~10min commuter Mon-Fri? I commute ~100k (to and from) work a day and the 6R is comfy as hell and an all around great commuter. You mentioned "I'm looking for light" and at about 460 pounds, the 6R is a tad on the heavy side, but that helps overall sometimes on the hwy, wind etc. I was just thinking, if you are just zipping around Toronto (I live near Oakville btw) and using it JUST to commute that distance, you could also consider something like an R3. I rode a friends a few times and that thing was fun as hell..light, zippy, handled well and pretty cheap and good mileage (a used one is about the same as the used 6R you mention) Just a thought, but either way I don't think you could go wrong with a 6R for a commuter, that's literally what it was designed for.

Yes, mainly commuting, I am sure I'll "get out" on it a few times a year, but love my RT for weekend riding.

blkbrd

Elite Member

BluePill

I am currently riding my second bought-new FZ6R, so you can call me a fan. In strong cross winds and buffeting from tractor trailers the weight is a plus. The bike feels much lighter than it is. It is very agile. The wind protection is another plus, compared to naked bikes. Maintenance is simple, bike is super reliable because they have had over a decade to tweak the engine.

"The Yamaha FZ6, also known as the FZ6 FAZER is a 600 cc (37 cu in) motorcycle that was introduced by Yamaha in 2004 as a middleweight sport bike built around the 2003 YZF-R6 engine. The engine is retuned for more usable midrange power. As a multi-purpose motorcycle it can handle sport riding, touring, and commuting. In 2010, the FZ6 was replaced by the fully faired FZ6R in North America"

I am 6' 2" and put on 3/4" handlebar risers for a more upright riding position. Otherwise, bone stock.

Last edited:

MistahT

Mistah T
Elite Member

alaskanflyboy

Premium Member

blkbrd

Elite Member

alaskanflyboy

Premium Member

CrazyCanuck

OK....first ride...WOW, very nice bike, the engine, suspension, ergonomics.....how did they do it at such a competitive price!

I've had a lot of bikes, but this little bike is awesome!

Gord