Why'd you choose it?

WhiteFZ

I was shopping for a new bike for the wife. It was her first bike. We crossed shopped Honda(CBR250R), Suzuki(GSX650), and Yamaha(FZ6R). Honda was ok, she didn't like how it felt and a friend convinced us we'd hate the 250 on Houston highways. Suzuki GSX650 was ugly, and felt huuuuge to her. Yamaha was perfect and the price was right. She has owned it about a year now, and she really hasn't fallen in love with it. She keeps talking about a CBR 600RR. :D

Tmak73

I did a lot of research trying to find a bike that would be fun but still practical. The Gsx650f was a lot heavier than ours and the ninja 650ex was not that appealing to me. Went to a dealership one weekend to see a bike they had posted online. Sat on it and it felt good then she turned it on and I heard the TB exhaust and I was sold. Did the numbers and picked it up a week later!

I have a bad habit of impulse buying when I really like something.. although I did the research I didn't think twice about getting the bike. I also went into wal-mart when MW2 came out and ended up leaving with the game as well as a flat screen t.v. since it was on closeout pricing.. like i said, bad impulse habit haha

Jay S.

What made you chose the FZ6R? Was it convenience, specs, price? Something else?

Me, I like the style, the power, the sound with the TBR, the color (I really wanted a yellow bike!) and one happened to fall into my lap at an amazing price with amazing mods!
While riding cruisers for 10 years I developed an affinity for long distance riding. I soon learned that the riding position of most cruisers is really not comfortable after a couple days on the road. Then one of my riding buddies introduced me to "sport-touring" ala a Suzuki GSX650F. I have ridden supersports in the past and never liked the riding position and really had no idea that there were sportbikes/sport-touring bikes, that were not race-replicas (supersports). Once I rode his bike, I was hooked. I honestly had every intention of a Concours or FJR but after riding the FJR, I was really not digging how heavy it was and since I usually travel solo, I know I didn't need 1300 cc's to "git-r-dun."

So I researched the 600/650 sportbikes, the 650F I mentioned earlier, the Ninja 650 and the Fizzer. After riding all 3, it was the Fizzer, hands down. I still feel it is the ultimate solo sport touring bike, except for maybe the new Ninja 1000, which didn't exist when I bought my Fizzer.

The bike has never let me down. The only mod I really needed for highway touring was a front sprocket change. The interesting part to me is that there are many bikes like this in Europe that come with factory hardbags and are fully ready for long distance touring. Not in America...ugh.

Long story short, IMHO, it is the perfect solo sport tourer. Plenty of power, even at 80+ mph, lightweight, great mileage, comfy and a bit sexy. Like an FJR's lighter, smaller, hotter, little sister.

My .02 cents, well that was a bit more.

:surrender:

See red

Lol!!! I didn't choose it. My wife was being nice and thought I would want it. I actually didn't like it all that much at first.......... now?..... it works, I like it a lot.:eek::)

leem00

Sport touring Member
Elite Member

24KMACH

The FZ6R is as close to the perfect motorcycle as you can get for all the above reasons. But what do I know I have only been riding for fifty two years.:D

BoneJj

The FZ6R is as close to the perfect motorcycle as you can get for all the above reasons. But what do I know I have only been riding for fifty two years.:D
I wouldn't mind it having a bigger seat.... that's why I had to drop it from my list... my butt is does not like the little seat... lol.

Bluefang

Wanted to upgrade from a 250. Drove a gixer home for a friend and my wrists did not appreciate it, had to use my thighs to support myself.

Fz6r was perfect. I could reach the ground, did not have uncomfortable wide tank, upright seating. So I guess my answer is comfort. :eek:

Fenixgoon

i've always been a yamaha fan, so first off i knew i wanted a yamaha. i also knew ia true sportbike would be too much, so that left the FZ6, FZ6R, and R6S as the bikes to look at. I couldn't figure out what the R6S really was, other than it was a ~2003 R6, so that cut it out.

which left the FZ6 and 6R. initially i didn't like the exhaust of the 6R, so i wanted an FZ6, but the dealership didn't have any.

went with the sexier, faired version :D

cdsdave

Interesting thread so I will throw in my .01 cents worth. Been riding a tw200 on my 20 miles of trails for the last 4 years but was enjoying getting out on the pavement so I started wanting for more performance. Someone on the tw forum, which by the way is just as cool as this forum, mentioned they had sold their tw and got a fz6r. That got me researching it as a possible addition to the stable. On March 11 went to a dealer that had 12 of them in stock to take a look and see what I thought. Sat on it for an hour or so and decided I had to have it so two days later one was parked in my driveway. Had a run of warm weather so was able to get the 600 mile oil change done in a week. Great bike at a great price and easy to ride for a newbie like me. Not a single regret with this bike after 1500 miles of fun riding.

nismos14

I'm movin on
Elite Member

mblue0122

This was my first bike and after reading some reviews, it seemed to be a great fit. It was NOT a 250, which I thought I would grow out of very fast and then have to sell at a substantial lose. The seating position was very appealing combined with the sports bike look.

danieljardim

I was always looking for a ninja650.. Didn't even know about this one.

By accident I found this one on a craigslist add. Loved.

Found insurance was cheaper than ninja. Bought it.

Didn't need to seat on it, road test or anything. Was all about the money.

No regrets at all. Found the perfect bike and the perfect forum.

applejax

This was my first bike and after reading some reviews, it seemed to be a great fit. It was NOT a 250, which I thought I would grow out of very fast and then have to sell at a substantial lose. The seating position was very appealing combined with the sports bike look.
Nah, you usually sells those 250 for about how much you paid for it.

Flipflash

Elite Member

SAFE-T

We were looking for a bike to replace my wife's 2007 GS500F. She had gotten a little bored with it, and was tired of having to work it so hard to keep up with larger displacement bikes on a couple of rides we did.

Of all the currently available bikes out there, I think the Yamaha FZ's are the best of the bunch. It's a wee bit on the heavy side and the OEM seat is not great for me, but other than that it's a nicely thought out bike. My favorite are the models with the gold wheels ~ bet they would also look good on the copper/black 2011.

If I had some spare change I'd buy another one for myself.

Last edited: