Why so hot?

wtgrant87

Why does the FZ6R run so hot? I have a friend with an R6s that is usually around 160 when cruising and I am at 180+ and if I am in traffic too long and hit a stoplight it feels like my legs are on fire. Is this normal? If it is, why can't they make it cooler?

owldaddy

My experience as a mechanic has been that 160 is not hot enough. Most water cooled engines run much warmer. I wonder if your friend has a thermostat that is stuck open. Most engines run over 180.

JonKerr

Elite Member

Halon

here in phoenix it gets pretty warm and so far the highest i've seen my temp spike is about 209 in stop and go traffic midday. The owners manual has a section on this that I'm pretty certian I cited in the previous thread.

Superfly

180 is around where our thermostats are set at. My temp is 77-80 C on cold days when I'm running on the thermostat. When its hot out and the thermostat is wide open already the most I've seen is 92 C or almost 200F and thats at a cruise speed of about 120km/hr or 70MPH...it was HOT out that day. Anything slower like in traffic and its quickly up to fan temps...around 100C and its on if I remember right.

HowStuffWorks "How does the thermostat in a car's cooling system work?"

I dont know if it helps but when I park the bike its almost always at the fan temp and after shutting the engine off the fan will run if the key is switched back on. Sometimes I leave the fan run for a few mins to just blow some heat away so that I dont heat soak the fuel tank and drip any out the overflow...might be total overkill but its been my routine:p

husker525

I am not concerned about running the kinds of temps that these bikes display, but I think I will try to see if I can lower the average a few degrees by running Engine Ice or equivalent. Has anyone else tried this?

ajkewler

I am not concerned about running the kinds of temps that these bikes display, but I think I will try to see if I can lower the average a few degrees by running Engine Ice or equivalent. Has anyone else tried this?
My buddy uses engine ice on his 2005 R1 and said that it drops the engine temp down about ~15 degrees however it has to be changed out twice as often as the oem fluids. According to the R1 forums getting a different Y pipe will reduce the heat of the engine. Not sure if it applies to the FZ6R but Leo Vince makes em and also akrapovic.

Newmason

I was thinking about flushing my system out and throwing engine ice through it. Thats all I use to use on my MX bikes when I was racing and those motors run super hot!

Blue-Sun

Elite Member

JnT4Life

I used Engine Ice in my KLR-650, it seemed to help a little bit. Don't expect miracles from this product, just a little drop in temperature.
Ok I have a question. Does our temp guage measure engine temp or coolant temp? Because if its coolant temp, it leads me to believe that a drop in coolant temp would actually mean an increase in engine temp because the coolant is not doing its job and removing the heat from the engine. And as always, I could be completely wrong in this thinking.

owldaddy

It is a measure of coolant temp. Engine Ice simply transfers heat faster then typical coolant, hence cooler temperatures. The cooler the coolant, the faster it can pull heat from the engine. If I were racing, and had temperature problems I would consider the Engine Ice. For typical street use, I wouldn't waste my money unless the temp was out of control. If your running hot, it most likely means you have other problems, such as a pump not doing it's job, or a radiator or coolant system having a restriction in it. Fixing the source of the problem is a better idea imo.

Detrich

160 seems a bit low... when i cold start, the engine warms to around 150 in about 3 to 4 minutes idling... once i start riding it climbs higher...

Newmason

Oh I know there is much of a drop in temp from using engine ice. Just looks cool when you drain it, all blue and stuff :)

WenMark

I run Coors Light in mine (cold as the rocky mountains) runs great:justkidding:

streetmaster

As stated before, most water cooled engines should run in the 180 -190 range when moving. Dont worry if it goes up a bit when stationary (even up to 215-220) The coolant is above atmospheric pressure & boils at a much higher point than the kettle at home! Very low coolant temps usualy mean something wrong with the thermostat, either stuck wide open or worse still some idiot has removed it thinking it will help his engine to run cooler. The truth is the coolant isn't hanging around long enough to draw the heat from the motor, hence a lower reading,,, & a sure way to cook your engine! Water cooled drag racing engines still have a restrictor in the water neck!
Manufacturers don't spend $$$ puting in a part that they dont need!!