Why is it a "girl's bike"?

Nelly

I was about to say the samething, I know more women who ride the Hayabusa than men.

In my opinion, there is no such thing as a girls bike. Beginners bike, entry level bike, yes. But girls bike no. Yes, you could have a girly color, but doesnt make the model of the bike a girls bike. Is there a girls car? Just because a lot of women may drive a Volkwagen Beetle, does it make it a girls car?

Now, as far the FZ6R being in the FZ6 family, In my opinion, it would have been better off with the R6 family. Being that it configured to look more like a sportsbike, with the full fairing and all. The FZ6 is classified as a touring bike.
Great post, great sense,

Nelly

fz6rwolf

Well I'm not a "beginner" rider having ridden dirtbikes and cruisers off and on since 1978 but looking to get into a lighter sportier bike that was comfortable I looked at and sat on alot of bikes. I liked the FZ6 but liked the look of the full fairing and it felt more comfortable than any other bike I tried out, the closest other bike that felt good was the GSX650F but the FZ6R beat it out. The 78hp I feel is plenty as I've gone up to 110mph and there was still some more but I never have a need to go that fast, just did it once just because. As far as marketing towards female riders, why not? If it weren't for the pink in the decals I wouldn't have minded the white, the black flames actually look pretty good. I'm looking forward to this summer going to see my brother who after seeing pics of my bike thinks it looks uncomfortable (he's always had cruisers) even after I've told him how comfortable it is I want to trade bikes with him for some of our riding together, I think he'll change his mind.

S

Shinn

Not a girls bike. In fact, calling it one should make you ashamed. I test drove both bikes, and to tell the truth, the FZ6R has a much easier throttle response to control. It handles almost as well, and has a very similar motor.

I have to agree with keira, it's all about the seating position. My girl loves my dad and my FZ1 and FZ6 combo. In fact, she wants one to fit in with us. But she tried sitting on my bike, and she can't quite reach the ground as she is a wee bit shorter. But the FZ6R fits her quite well. She loves the white one, and I think it is quite nice in all colours. Working on getting her one right now.

As to why it is aimed at female riders? Largest part of growth in the motorcycle market along with accomodating features and seating (as females are generally more delecately built) will make you huge money. Marketing genius on Yamaha's part.

If i hadn't of bought my FZ6, seeing as my dealers won't be getting any 2009's, I would be riding a FZ6R.

phantomxc

It's actually kind of funny...I went into the dealership to buy the FZ6. I left the with FZ6R. The closed fairing, minor performance difference, and the cheaper price. I was sold. I might get in trouble but, I think it looks better :) Once I get different exhaust it's a done deal.

J

J_Slyter

Based on these pictures, I guess this means the Ducati 1098S is the girl version of the 1098 since the R has 10 more hp.

Ride what you like...they're all good. But wear your gear...she's giving Duc riders a bad name (at least in the gear department).

Attachments

M

mglowe

"it would have been better off with the R6 family"

I agree. I hated that Yamaha didn't address some things that would have made the FZ6 even better. Adding cowling, a lower seat, cheaper frame with less ponies is not it.

If they offered a smaller package say a 350 or 400 sized bike along with the FZ6R I personally believe the FZ6R would be a complete flop. I think women would prefer something smaller and less intimidating.

Oh how bad that sounded, I must choose better words.

Anyway, I'm casting my vote on the size issue and the FZ6 is a tall bike.

Wingover

Perfect seat height. Perfect handlebar distance. 78 HP? Perfect 'thrust-to-weight' ratio for a generally smaller rider! Sweet bike!

V

vdbergj1

I'm not entirely convinced that's a woman.
Thought the same thing, it screams she-male, but then she really got tiny hands...won't fit a around allot, wonder how she-it handles it's-his throttle? :spank:

K

keira

If they offered a smaller package say a 350 or 400 sized bike along with the FZ6R I personally believe the FZ6R would be a complete flop. I think women would prefer something smaller and less intimidating.
Yeah 'cause Hyabusas are totally small-displacement bikes, and I would never ever want a GSXR 750 as my next bike. Oh wait, I do. I guess I'm not female then.

Rob, there's something I need to talk to you about. I hated my 250 and wanted a 650, and now that I want a 750 I can no longer be a woman.

Seriously, it is all comfort. Any woman on here and any female rider will tell you that the majority of sportbikes are not made for the average woman. Once something comes out that is comfortable for our (generally) smaller frames and shorter legs and arms, it gets labeled a "girl's bike" and gets a bad rep. Why can't bikes be bikes and people who fit them ride the model they fit? Why does it have to be such a bad thing? Women are not bad, and all of you who are labeling a bike a "girl's bike" and calling it something awful are basically saying that women should not ride, manufacturers are shooting themselves in the foot by marketing to us (unless it's something smaller than a 500, 'cause that won't hurt men's egos), and they should be at home cooking dinner while the man is out having fun on his toy that she has no business even thinking about being on, unless it's as a passenger.

sorry, rant over..... I know that isn't how most of you guys think, but it's what's coming across in this whole "girl's bike vs. man's bike" debate. It's like the guy I saw at a dealership once saying he could never ride an SV because it's a "girl's bike" when he saw me de-gear in the parking lot. I told him about my buddies who race SVs (now there's like 10 of them), and that if the fact that I ride it is his reasoning for not getting one, he shouldn't be on a bike in the first place. I then went inside and picked up my one-piece leathers.

L

LERecords

looking to get into a lighter sportier bike that was comfortable.

thats like the perfect reason of why i bought the fz6 over the r6 (at the time they didnt have the fz6r and i probably would have still choose the fz6).. I wanted a sporty looking bike that i could ride without getting back pain or wrist pain. at the time my dad and older cousin just bought cruisers, and i didnt want a cruiser.. the fz6 fit my bill.. looks fast, drives fast, and comfy for those 500 mile days... i would say that yamaha is doing the right thing this year by giving people another "option" to getting into motorcycleing. hopefully they will keep the fz6 around and possibly give it some upgrades...

F

FZ1inNH

If we speak of the model number alone, there are no girls or boys bikes. Given the colors, then yes, there are bikes targeted for girls (white FZ6R) and some for boys (Black/blue?)

I know three women in this area that ride MUCH bigger bikes than I do... bikes that I know I'd never want to ride because they are not my style or they'd be too tempting to push beyond MY abilities and you'd be reading about me in the paper. Two of the three drive a big 'Busa! Not my bike at all! Would I call it a girl's bike? If it was painted pink or had flowers for decals, then yes. :Flash:

I'm not saying the FZ6R is a girls bike, but it appears that Yamaha has marketed the bike more toward women based on the gallery at their site alone. :rolleyes:

The FZ6 itself has been labeled a girl's bike in several forums both in the past as well as the present. If someone feels that I drive a girl's bike, that is their opinion and they're entitled to it. Do I care? Not in the least!!! Only my own opinion matters to me. I'm not out to impress a single person outside of myself. :rockon:

L

LERecords

Do I care? Not in the least!!! Only my own opinion matters to me. I'm not out to impress a single person outside of myself. :rockon:
I agree fully on this.. if you dont like my bike, what do i care... cuz i love it :)

W

Wildcard

My girlfriend loves my FZ6...I think she just likes looking at my butt from behind. :don'tknow:

G

Gilo-FZ6

As most have said..i dont think there are girls bikes or boys bikes,there are simply bikes!,some more suited to the ladies (and smaller framed men) and some not. The 6R is a perfect example.

But sex vs bike aside ..we say and do similar..just look at our cliche'd impression of HD riders...if i owned one and was considered a fat smelly slob who wants to ride around on a loud,oily armchair i'd be pretty pi$$ed...or a GSXR :squid:

motorcycling should be a great leveller,where the love of the ride is the only thing that matters,but snobbery and pigeon holeing (sex,engine size,bike class) seems to weigh on some peoples minds (no one on here) more than the experience itself.

now im feeling self concious, cos as a grown man im only riding a ickle baby 600cc..gotta get me a Y2K..failing that an 09 vmax :rolleyes:

anyhow ,in a nutshell the fz6R is the "right" bike for the "right" person..my .02

MNDZA

I got my fz6r because it's more geared toward beginners while offering good power and great looks. Everything I wanted in a first bike. I've gotten nothing but compliments on my bike. The only girlt thing would be the white fz6r with the pink accents. Yamaha did an excellent job marketing to new riders like me as well as women.

cbzdel

Its priced great and has a little bit of power along with the SS looks what more can you ask for..

Roaddawg

The FZ6R is my first bike. I looked at and sat on almost every bike out there, cruisers and sport bikes. I did my research and knew what I wanted. I initially didn't want a sport bike at all, just a cruiser. I needed and wanted something that wouldn't be too intimidating to ride (power & size), comfortable for commuting, looked good, easy to maintain (and reliable) and one that I wouldn't outgrow too soon. While trying to narrow down what type of cruiser, I decided to look at sports bikes just to leave all my options open. Then I came across the FZ6R. The FZ6R met every requirement I was looking for. I've just put over 600 miles on my "R" and love the bike. I really don't care if someone thinks its a "girl" bike. For those that like the white but not the decals, take them off. It's not that hard to do. Best of all, I'm a new member of the Yamaha sport bike world!

GoGreen09

roaddawg - i totally agree with you!!! i was so close to buying a sportster until i walked into the yamaha dealer. i wasn't even looking at the fz6r, nor did i know about it. just glad i ended up with this rather than the sportster.