Why is it a "girl's bike"?

F

Fred

I've been trying to figure this out. It seems that a lot of women are buying the FZ6R as opposed to the FZ6. At least, I see a lot new forum users here who are women and own FZ6R's.

And Yamaha seems to be aiming for that market with the pearl white color scheme.

I've been trying to figure out what the advantage over the FZ6 is.

Pros:
Cheaper
Lower seat (by only .4 inches)
Narrower seat

Cons:
Less fuel capacity
Heavier (despite holding less fuel)

My best guess is that the narrow seat is making a difference, allowing people to flatfoot it when they couldn't do the same on the wider FZ6.

What say the owners? Why was the FZ6R right for you when the FZ6 was not?

Fred

cbzdel

Personally I like the look better, I dont like the naked look. I was going to get an R6 but I just couldnt get comfortable, I seen the FZ6R and I thought hey that is bad ass so I sat on it and was comfy as hell! I also sat on the FZ1 and thought it was comfy as well but I didnt have a need for that much bike...

Plus is cheaper than the FZ6

Side note: I am a guy.. But my girl thinks the white FZ6R is "cute"

T

Tremulant

I think you answered your own question there Fred, besides the fact that it has pink decals. That's probably the biggest selling point by far! :D

wrightme43

Admin of Socks & Puppets
I am all for them. More girls on bikes is a win win for us.

wrightme43

Admin of Socks & Puppets
That they are riding a Yamaha in the FZ family is even better.

I think it's because it's more of a beginner bike. That's why I picked it up for myself. I've seen alot of girls on Hyabusa's so I guess it's preference.

F

FZ1inNH

It's also 20 less HP...

Yamaha themselves are targeting the Ladies with the bike. Check out their own Gallery for the model. More than half the pictures feature a female rider on the FZ6R.

N

necrotimus

I wouldn't say it is exclusively a girl's bike but yamaha isn't stupid making a bike that can be more apealing to a female's frame. Female riders are a growing market that other manufacturers are slowly targeting.

cbzdel

the Ninja 250 only shows female riders in the ads (or they did last year at least) but the majority of its riders are males....

I would of got a ninja 250 but but a little extra got me the 600 (which IMO would be a longer lasting engine).. the 250 would of been plenty power for me...

V

vdbergj1

It's also 20 less HP...

Yamaha themselves are targeting the Ladies with the bike. Check out their own Gallery for the model. More than half the pictures feature a female rider on the FZ6R.
When I was falling for the FZ6 I browsed for photo's and these photos frequently came up in promo's.

View attachment 16403

View attachment 16404

20hp - I think 90% FZ6 riders don't use all the power at all.

My next bike is most probably a FZ6R and I would have loved the pearl white but the pink fairy farts make it a girls bike. I played around with a FZ6R design with which I planned to replace the decals but now found out that South Africa only get the black and yellow - so black it will be.

Attachments

V

VEGASRIDER

I think it's because it's more of a beginner bike. That's why I picked it up for myself. I've seen alot of girls on Hyabusa's so I guess it's preference.
I was about to say the samething, I know more women who ride the Hayabusa than men.

In my opinion, there is no such thing as a girls bike. Beginners bike, entry level bike, yes. But girls bike no. Yes, you could have a girly color, but doesnt make the model of the bike a girls bike. Is there a girls car? Just because a lot of women may drive a Volkwagen Beetle, does it make it a girls car?

Now, as far the FZ6R being in the FZ6 family, In my opinion, it would have been better off with the R6 family. Being that it configured to look more like a sportsbike, with the full fairing and all. The FZ6 is classified as a touring bike.

Hellgate

Because smokin' hot chicks ride them!!!!

errr...maybe not...:confused:

C

CZAR357

Just because a lot of women may drive a Volkwagen Beetle, does it make it a girls car?
Yes, yes it does! You would not see me anywhere near one. Just like I would not buy a Celica for a sports car. They are girl cars. I do agree that the FZ6r is not a girl's bike but instead is a beginner bike with a color option for women.

P

Potshot

Anyone who dare calls the FZ6 or FZ6R a girls bike needs to be taught a lesson.:spank: Even though the bike stock look isnt all that great, it's still a fierce bike compared to others in it's class. Just put some body work and engine mods on the FZ6 and you got a bad ass 600 that will scare away most stock 600cc class bikes:rockon:

K

keira

Anyone who dare calls the FZ6 or FZ6R a girls bike needs to be taught a lesson.:spank: Even though the bike stock look isnt all that great, it's still a fierce bike compared to others in it's class. Just put some body work and engine mods on the FZ6 and you got a bad ass 600 that will scare away most stock 600cc class bikes:rockon:
So what youa re saying is that a "girl's bike" automatically means it is not as good, somehow a "lesser" machine than a "man's bike"?

I have said it before and I say it again, I really hate when something being bad is associated as female (or gay, or a minority, etc. etc.)

Anyway, I think the reason the FZ6R is being accepted by the female riding community is due to the fact that it is a 600 that is being marketed toward females, and women don't want to be stuck on a 250 for life. Regardless of color scheme (I wouldn't have a pink bike), the seat is narrower, which makes it easier to touch for those of us who are not the average male, and it does have a little less power, since most women don't feel the need to out-engine their friends. As a side note, I think girls ride Hayabusa's on a larger scale is also due to the bike's low seat height and relatively light weight (compared to others in the liter+ bike class). As for the Ninja 250 being marketed toward women, who is the 500 marketed toward? I honestly have no clue. But I do know that both bikes feel equally tiny to me, and I am average height for women in America, so if the 500 is marketed primarily toward men, and the 250 toward women, that is pure sexist advertising, as they are (size-wise anyway) the same.

Nelly

I think you answered your own question there Fred, besides the fact that it has pink decals. That's probably the biggest selling point by far! :D
Listen don't knock pink, Wolfman is a man's man with a penchant for a bit of pink.

Nelly