Where to self-service bike in LA (or any urban area)?

dekaliber

I'm moving to downtown LA in a couple of weeks (woo!) and will be living in a large condo building. While I have a spot in the garage under the building, the condo rules prohibit doing any sort of mechanical work in there.

Does anyone know of a self-service garage sort of place where I could do stuff like oil changes? I'd like to be able to continue to do the work myself (it's just more convenient than scheduling something with a dealer, and I trust myself to be more careful about my own bike). I guess I could probably find a parking lot nearby and bring my stand and an oil drain pan there, but I don't know if there are any less sketchy options.

CrazyCawi

go get a storage locker/garage and do it there

Detrich

My friend owns & lives in a downtown LA high rise condo. And for several years now, he's been fixing his bike and car in the underground garage all the time. He just does it discreetly as possible and makes sure not to get in anyone's way. And he always keeps the area clean. He says it's against their condo rules too, but so far no one has ever reprimanded him. For bigger messier stuff he just goes to a friends house to do it.

dekaliber

Hey Detrich, any idea what your friend's building is called or what the address is? I wonder if we might be in the same building/set of buildings done the same developer.

I'm at 1100 S Hope -- aka the Luma building.

Sounds like I should probably make friends with someone who has their own house. :p

CrazyCawi

Hey Detrich, any idea what your friend's building is called or what the address is? I wonder if we might be in the same building/set of buildings done the same developer.

I'm at 1100 S Hope -- aka the Luma building.

Sounds like I should probably make friends with someone who has their own house. :p
I would go do it on the beach. If Exxon can why cant you? :wtfgun:

Detrich

Lotta those buildings have high capacity elevators that are bigger than normal.
my friend lives on 9th street in one of those new multi-use condo high rises.

wozz

Haha to be fair I don't live in a high rise. I live on the first floor of a two story apartment building so it really wasn't hard to get the bikes inside.

Spunky99

Many a bike rebuild has been done in the living room of apartments I have rented....Until I got married.....I have a single car garage that I keep and maintain my bike in...it's a big plus if you can find an apartment with a garage that is separate....