wheelie HELP

jdavidson22890

I don't know if this is the right place to post this, but I've looked at tons of wheelie vids on youtube and I can't seem to lift the front end up at all...I have a 2013 fz6r. Do any of you have any tips. Thank you

Attachments

Chucker

Yeah, don't be a hooligan.

I don't know if this is the right place to post this, but I've looked at tons of wheelie vids on youtube and I can't seem to lift the front end up at all...I have a 2013 fz6r. Do any of you have any tips. Thank you
The thought has crossed my mind too. Its much more fun to grind turns than the attempt wheelies. imho.

dart1963

Super Moderator
Elite Member

Fizzer6R

oh no, you got a blue one - rumor is the factory put in an anti-wheelie

jdavidson22890

I kno I was going to get a bunch of people giving me the lecture. I appreciate it, but I'm looking for someone that does wheelies on their bike to give me some assistance. Thanks. Also a step by step would be helpful, I try to do what the videos tell me to do but I just keep lunging foward, that's it. Thanks again

FastFreddy

There's too many good videos on how to do this.

Basically they all say do baby steps, ie : just get the wheel up a bit, then keep practicing and get used to the sound of the engine when doing a "clutch up". You can use the rear brake and push down on the bars to push the forks down in the pre-wheelie position, then lift off the brake, lift up, and clutch up to get it up or just focus on the body position and clutch up technique.

MCN did a good brief overview of this on youtube.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i3_Z96lxyUo

AMCN :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xHt_uQx9yl8

Youtube has stunt riders going into great depth on just the clutch up.

I've also seen a good video of a guy that is just starting to keep it up and he's describing his thought processes which was good.

Really though, you should learn on a pushbike. There's videos on that too.

In 3 years time you could be really good like Dave who quit his accounting job after his cancer was in remission and did 3 years stunt riding in China and now he's really good putting on shows for the kids :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nnPW2vfPmsc

Watching guys on 600s do wheelies, it sounds like they are between 6-8000 rpm to get it up, then they drop it back once on the balance point.

bowie

:D those vids where awesome hahah

In defense of the humble wheelie. I'm teaching myself in mind to ensure I have the quickest acceleration possible whilst on the track.

Knowing where the balance is before the front wheel leaves the ground is relatively important at the start of races. I'm using "weelies" to teach me where the points are on my bike which will result in it raising up in the air or not.

Fizzer6R

:D those vids where awesome hahah

In defense of the humble wheelie. I'm teaching myself in mind to ensure I have the quickest acceleration possible whilst on the track.

Knowing where the balance is before the front wheel leaves the ground is relatively important at the start of races. I'm using "weelies" to teach me where the points are on my bike which will result in it raising up in the air or not.
I'm not sure what you are trying to say here?

Also, are you racing your XJ6, or just doing track days?

MistahT

Mistah T
Elite Member

Oconer

I've managed to power wheelie this fz6r but clutching i have no idea what I'm doing...

Step 1: in first gear roll up to about 37 mph
Step 2: once at 37 mph drop down to 35mph
Step 3: throttle it all the way!!
Step 4: enjoy

I've never did a wheelie ever, this is my first time and I don't think the fz6r will produce enough power to 12 o'clock it..

Fizzer6R

the danger, besides coming down too hard and damaging the bike, is someone not stable panicking, losing balance and basically creating a crash either while wheel in air or upon hitting back to ground.

like dart said, try/practice in the dirt 1st, or gain confidence on a bicycle like also mentioned.

I'm very confident hanging wheelies off-road from many years of dirtbikes, 3 & 4wheelers. street, not even half as much. I've had plenty of liter bikes including current zx10r, all loft the front w/ease, too easily actually - why they invented wheelie control. hardest part for me isn't keeping it up, it's maintaining a straight line for distance, and on public roads that's a disaster waiting to happen.

there is more room for error on a FZ6R because it is not very powerful, so you'll be jerking on the bars more and feathering the clutch to get it up. then w/o much HP/TQ you must keep the revs up - better be familiar riding at the upper RPM's

FastFreddy

PS. All the how to videos all say to "cover the rear brake" as well.
So you always are ready to brake on the rear if the wheelie starts to turn into a flip.

RE : front wheel smacking down.

The stunt riders always give it full throttle as the front wheel is coming down so that it lands gently. So tap the rear brake and ease off the gas, then give it lots of throttle before landing. (of course you need lots of room to do this).

Here's a pic of the Aussie 50 cent piece, you want to avoid a rim looking like this. (dodecagon)

Attachments

buzzbomb

Elite Member

bowie

I'm not sure what you are trying to say here?

Also, are you racing your XJ6, or just doing track days?
Track days on my XJ

As mentioned, in trying to accelerate quickly, one should have that front wheel just hovering off the road. Honestly not going to set the world on fire with my Xj, but when my skill increases and my bike gets bigger, having control of these simple skills will be to my advantage. not to mention its just fkn fun on the track to imagine your a super star :D

Controlling a wheelie is helping me control that balance point during acceleration.

And as mentioned. they are just fun :p