Whats wrong with my front tire?

JSP

Super Moderator
Is my front tire supposed to look like this??? No its not my bike, and no its not this severe, but it is noticeable. I can see and feel the center lump on the tire.

Front psi is set to 36.

Funkmaxtor

My front tire looks the same way. Although I don't feel it when I'm riding.

Root Down

Mine is perfectly round, I would think that would be an issue. How old is the bike? Usually you can't get a tire warrantied but that appears to be a factory defect as opposed to a wear issue, I'd give it a shot and take it back to the dealer.

fz6rwolf

I've never seen a tire look like that, definately something wrong.

demon408

i cant tell

hey is that a real bubble in the tire or is that just a slight flat spot from ridin to many straight roads? a bubble would be bad, flat dosent mean a thing. if you have a real life bubble it means the rubber is to thin and the was a exxesive load or psi on the tire and it was pushed out.

FZ1inNH

Super Moderator
First, check tire pressures OFTEN and be sure they are set for your weight as well.

Second, this is also the sign of a rider that slabs a lot and doesn't have much around for corners to carve. If the bike is upright for your entire trip, only the centers will wear.

Funkmaxtor

My front tire did the same thing. It didn't affect handling at all. The "bubble" goes all the way around the tire. It almost seems that the edges of the tire wore faster than the center. I checked the pressure and there is no problem.

JSP

Super Moderator
My front tire did the same thing. It didn't affect handling at all. The "bubble" goes all the way around the tire. It almost seems that the edges of the tire wore faster than the center. I checked the pressure and there is no problem.
That is what mine is like. This isnt a flat spot. It is a "raised" spot that goes all the way around the tire. My pressure is set for my weight at 36psi. I do check it often. I put it at 34 right now just to see if it changes anything. Its not nearly as bad as the picture, but thats the only pic I could find to describe what im talking about. I dont feel any affect on handling or such.

MNDZA

I've never seen that before and it looks bad. If that was my bike, I'd be at the dealer saying WTF?

stuna

its normal :p it has to do with thread pattern and brakeing forces . a different brand will have a different wear pattern . my gl1800 does the same thing . and the you should see what the drz400 did to a trials tire :confused:.
my bike has brigstones on it

mbridge51

Is my front tire supposed to look like this??? No its not my bike, and no its not this severe, but it is noticeable. I can see and feel the center lump on the tire.

Front psi is set to 36.

What bike is this tire on?

I have the Dunlops on my FZ6R with about 1,600 miles and both rear and front are wearing evenly. I check air pressure before each ride and run 36 in the rear and 33 in front.

JSP

Super Moderator
What bike is this tire on?

I have the Dunlops on my FZ6R with about 1,600 miles and both rear and front are wearing evenly. I check air pressure before each ride and run 36 in the rear and 33 in front.
I would assume a VFR...

Mine is not nearly this bad but slightly noticable. I can feel it with my finger. Its like there is a 1 or 2 inch strip placed under the tire.

cbzdel

It doesnt look very good reguardless of how it handles!! I would be asking some questions to the dealer!

JSP

Super Moderator
Well it seems this is "somewhat" common with these tires as well as a couple others.

Here is a thread on another forum I just found describing the same thing. They also state its with these Bridgestones.

Strange tire wear - ZRXOA Message Board

I'm going to swing by the dealer on the way home today just to show him and see what he has to say.

stuna

from 2002 to now i have put on over 100,000 mi . so i have been thru a few tires . ITS NORMAL , vairies by brand :D

joloy133

These tires are dual compound rubber. They are designed with firm rubber in the center for road wear and softer rubber on the sides for grip when carving turns. How and where you ride affects what happens to the tire wear pattern. If you primarily live for the twisties or need an overall performance tire, dual compound tires may not be your ticket.

arodhr13

Thats bad news get a new tire before something fatal happens
just remember the only two things that keep us somewhat safe are the rubber beneath us.:D