What's the Deal!

Nitrocan

How come motorcycle manufacturers can build bikes with, excellent engines, great brakes, good ergos, nice riding positon. But when it comes time to put a seat on it, they slap a vinyl covered 2x4 on it. Put 600kms on my new fz6r this weekend, but had to stop every hour because my rear couldn't take it anymore.

You pay good money for a bike, and you can't be comfortable enough to ride it for a long period of time!

Last edited by a moderator:

MNGreg

waiting out winter
Elite Member

leem00

Sport touring Member
Elite Member

Nitrocan

Yes I have a DB ordered as well!

I will look into a gel pad I guess, or another alternative.

Any word on the Corbin seat? Or any other brand?

I heard the comfort seat is a POS too.

BKP

I used an Airhawk for a while. Worked out well as a *temporary* solution. Finally, bit the bullet, and ordered a Corbin. Best upgrade mod I've done on the bike. Have about 1300 miles on the Corbin, now, and it gets more and more comfortable with the break-in...

I no longer notice any pressure points, any aches, regardless of how long I'm riding, and the configuration changes the slope, so you don't find yourself slipping into the tank as readily.

Bert-Aus

How else do you develop that moto-swagger?

only after years of commuting & general riding can you swagger like a rider

...JK

MNGreg

waiting out winter
Elite Member

BKP

I was looking at those. Isnt the price on those corbin seats like $500+?
Yep... came to about $480, including shipping, after all was said and done...
However, we don't think twice about $180 chain/sprockets; $400 Drifts and GoPros, $500+ lids, and $300+ tires every 7-9k miles, or even $500+ cans for a different *sound*... (and we haven't even talked about boots, gloves, jackets, etc.)

So, when you put it in perspective, $480 for the thing that's more responsible for your comfort than *any* other mod, *every* single time you swing a leg over your bike... well, it suddenly just doesn't seem like all that much...

And one more benefit... the Corbin for our bikes is a single seat, that replaces the primary and pillion. Uses just the one key to take off, which means no more bolts if you want to get under the primary... I find it more convenient. And, once it's snapped in, it's solid as a rock on the bike. They do a *great* job. High quality leather, and dozens of choice combinations for everything from the type of leather for main, pillion, sides, to whether or not you want a welt (and what color welt), etc. Nicely done -- worth the coin.

Last edited:

buzzbomb

Elite Member

Nitrocan

Maybe the seat needs a break in!

As far as getting used to an uncomfortable seat. This is my 7th bike, and by far the worst. All but 2 were new bikes also. My gsxr 750 had a better seat on it.

If I bought a new car and couldn't sit in it for over an hour, I would be pissed right off.

So why do we have to suffer with cheap bike seats!

I will put some more time on this plank, if it doesn't feel better in a couple of months it may be time to upgrade to a Corbin!

Last edited:

SpawnXX

Premium Member

anson650

BUZZBOMB has it right, " more saddle time". Compression shorts help, gel cushions, sheepskin etc help too, but just ride more.
Anson

BKP

You might check Spencer's seat mod out: Flash Intro Page
That is some interesting stuff... Seems Turner uses a similar approach as Corbin, as far as internal foam (higher, more resilient densities that won't compress to the base, where the pressure points are).

Definitely worth a look, for those that don't want to spring for a Corbin, or Russell...

Nastybutler

Cynical Member
Elite Member